X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pugo View Post
    Hopefully the quail business well do well enough to replace the batteries.. I just found out that my quail incubator will need 3.64 amps just to run it at 800watts, yeah I am going to set down and figure out every amp I need so I can design a system.
    Consider Solar thermal for the incubator.
    Much less cost to run and purchase (no batteries etc)
    Just set it up so the incubator is HEAVILY insulated and enough storage to get through a couple of days of no sun.
    It sounds like the incubator isn't all that large and a low placed radiant system would do the trick.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Rich has a good idea - both cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate. For heat solar thermal generally wins out over solar PV.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        Rich has a good idea - both cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate. For heat solar thermal generally wins out over solar PV. If not all solar thermal use as much as possible and use PV power only to maintain the last degree or two.
        I have to write some more words to satisfy the editor so I can post - here they are.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hopefully the quail business well do well enough to replace the batteries.. I just found out that my quail incubator will need 3.64 amps just to run it at 800watts,
          Is that 800 watts for 24 hours? I hate to tell you but it is not possible, well it is if money is no object. You would be talking about 19.2 Kwh/day.

I will not run all the numbers except the battery for you.

The battery will weigh 6000 pounds or 2700 Kg, and cost you initially around $15,000 and need replaced every 5 years. Just in battery cost alone electricity will cost you $.45/Kwh. As for the rest of the equipment will cost you about 3 times what the batteries cost. How many quail is that?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

The incubator is well insulated it will keep the heat for 6 hours without power. Was thinking of some kind of timer but that worries me as I know it will effect the hatch rate. it is a small incubator it will only hold 2210 quail eggs just enough to allow me to maintain flock rotation. Laying hens are only good for 1 year and have to be replaced after that. As I am planning a small flock of 12,000 laying hens. I have to replace a 1,000 hens every month in my rotation, and when you are hatching your own eggs 50 % female and 50% male is the normal hatch out. The excess hatched quail which is 210 will cover mortality rate and replacement of breeders.

Now this solar thermal idea sounds interesting I will have to check it. But the heat and humidity have to stay constant or the hatch rate will drop and I will be in trouble. But there is one bright spot. Because the brownouts are controlled they normally happen during the day when the solar panels can produce power at night the power comes back on I can leave my quail house tied into the grid and the batteries only need to work for an hour or two at most.

My need is not so much to get off the grid but is to insure reliable power. Now if I if work at it from this stand point my solar system becomes much smaller in terms of batteries and solar panels. My house only needs to run a fridge, a couple of fans and a stereo. During the day. still have an issue with cloudy days. What do you guys think?

Comment

I have figured out that I only need a system that will give me 2000 watts which is more than I need. I have now learned the brownouts last from 5am to 9 pm so there is a need to run batteries longer than I planned. As this brownout issue has been around for the last 9 years and now is getting worse. I don't see things changing anytime soon.
              I looked at gas generators but the fuel is high. So I think they are out of the question.

So I need to make this affordable As I have to have two systems. One for the house and one for the quail barn. I can go as low a 1500 watt system. But there will only be a couple hundred watts left over. Kind of worried if I get to close but it can work as well. But if it gets cloudy I think I would be in trouble.

Comment

I have figured out that I only need a system that will give me 2000 watts which is more than I need.
                OK Pugo now that the information is coming out I can help you and save you a lot of money.

To start 2000 watts is a meaningless number. All that means is an instantaneous measurement of power in a moment of time, it is not energy which is watt hours, not watts.

So let's get this straightened up before you go any further. You say you only need power from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm. OK that gives us 4 hours, call it 5 to be safe. Now answer this what will have to be powered up during that time, and how many watts does it consume. For example a constant load of 500 watts. 500 watts x 5 hours = 2500 watt hours. You have to get that number of forget the project, no one can help you without it.

Once we know that number I can tell you whatever it is will not be a solar application. You have no need for it, cost way too much, and unreliable. You are in biz and solar is the last thing you want. You want cost effective and reliable power you can count on.

What I suggest is what any pro would do in your example. Build a UPS by using a AC powered battery charger/rectifier, batteries, a quality inverter, and backup generator. It will save you several thousand dollars and work a whole lot better. But to get the sizes we need two pieces of information.

Maximum demand load in watts, and total watt hours in a 24 hour period.

Maximum demand load is all the connected load devices that will be turned on at one time. Say the incubator @ 800 watts and a 100 watt light = 900 watts. Time each item will be turned on during the brown outs.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                X