Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How connect 2 solar panels in parallel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How connect 2 solar panels in parallel ?

Hi

I want to connect 2 solar panels in parallel, I know that I need to connect the "positive with positive" and "negative with negative", but my question is about how do I connect them together?

I'm attaching an image to clarify my problem.

Do I need to wire with soldier? or how I connect together?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Your sketch is pretty close, needs a fuse, maybe.

You can use the correct size wire nuts, inside a weather proof box, or the panels may have MC conncetors, which need MC mates. If you cut a MC connector off a panel wire, you have voided the warrenty.

You can wire the panels together, and then run a 3rd (larger gauge, it's carrying 2x the current) wire to the controller, as you have shown, or possibly you could run both panels wires to the charge controller, if everything reaches that far, and the terminals at the controller accept the wire bundle.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Mike have a good point there, when you put in parallel the solar panels, have higher AMPS, means you need a better gauge of cables, to compensate the amps and have less loss too.

Thats why you need to think in future upgrades and have a higher gauge of cables from the solar to the solar controller.

Comment

r

QUOTE=Mike90250;7771]Your sketch is pretty close, needs a fuse, maybe.

You can use the correct size wire nuts, inside a weather proof box, or the panels may have MC conncetors, which need MC mates. If you cut a MC connector off a panel wire, you have voided the warrenty.

You can wire the panels together, and then run a 3rd (larger gauge, it's carrying 2x the current) wire to the controller, as you have shown, or possibly you could run both panels wires to the charge controller, if everything reaches that far, and the terminals at the controller accept the wire bundle.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mike this is exactly what I am looking for

Comment

Ric you do realize this post is 8 months old and the OP is long gone right?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Ric you do realize this post is 8 months old and the OP is long gone right?
            Thanks mate
            What I am doing is building 2 solar panels for use on our caravan and wasn't sure how to connect them together.

Comment

What about the diodes. I just purchased 72 cells to make two 18V panels to be connected in parallel. Two diodes were also supplied. I'm not sure if they're meant to be bypass or blocking.

Comment

Originally posted by rhjames View Post
                What about the diodes. I just purchased 72 cells to make two 18V panels to be connected in parallel. Two diodes were also supplied. I'm not sure if they're meant to be bypass or blocking.
                2 diodes are not enough to be bypass diodes, and "blocking" is so 60's, because all modern charge controllers provide the blocking function. Best ask the seller of the kit, what they are intended for, and maybe you can get a schematic of where they go.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

so you can wire up solar panels like you do batteries & sub woofers?
                  But what if you use 12% and only get 8% energy return not filling a battery completely off the solar array- is this considered a cycle? Mmmmmmm mauh brain's sizzling
                  [/QUOTE]
                  [quote] If a pigeon had his brains it would fly sideways [/quote]

Comment

Wires like the sketch at the beginning of this thread. More than 2 panels, and you need fuses to keep 2 good panels from BBQ a 3rd, when it goes bad. Attention to connections, wire gauge and stuff is needed, it's more critical than speaker wire.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I can't see the drawing buti found out that I need to post at least1 message to be able to view this.

Comment

test

Originally posted by rdlrn19 View Post
                          Hi

I want to connect 2 solar panels in parallel, I know that I need to connect the "positive with positive" and "negative with negative", but my question is about how do I connect them together?

I'm attaching an image to clarify my problem.

Do I need to wire with soldier? or how I connect together?

Thanks in advance

Comment

trying to see diagram

new here and its mandatory i post twice before i can participate, so heres one

Comment

individual modules

Originally posted by rhjames View Post
                              where have you found the best place to purcase panels

Comment

Working...
                              X