inverter only puts out 91 volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inverter only puts out 91 volts

Hi! My name's Dave, and I'm new to the forum and to solar power. I live in a very sunny part of Mexico (Oaxaca state, on the coast), and just installed a system that's supposed to generate an average of 5.5 kilowatt hours daily, more than enough for my smallish house. Everything is working well except that the inverter is only showing 91 volts. The panels and batteries are wired for 24, and the inverter is a 24 volt system. The panels read around 35 volts, the batteries (four 6 volt batteries wired in parallel/series) at 24.

For a short time we had the panels and batteries wired for 12 volts until we realized that the inverter was for 24. Would anyone know the probable or possible causes for the inverter not producing 120 volts?

I read that some systems have a low voltage output until appliances begin to draw current, at which time the system bumps up to 120 volts. But I ran an electric drill on it and the inverter and wall plug remained at 91 volts.

Thank you for your help!

If the inverter is modified square wave, it will not read the same voltage as a pure sine wave.

That's my only thought about it.

Modified waveform is often more like a square wave, and motors will consume about 20% more power with it. Sometimes the more expensive inverter (pure sine wave) will, in the end, be the better choice.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

if it is not a sinewave inverter and you measure the voltage with most multimeters that will be about the reading you will get..

Comment

will it ever convert to 120V?

Thanks for the answers! I checked and the inverter is a modified wave unit. Now my primary question is will this inverter give me 120V in my house? Right now the outlets are still reading 91, and my refrigerator won't run properly.

There are eight switches on the unit too, with an on or off option for each one. After reading the manual's explanations of what they do, it doesn't seem to be the answer. But maybe you are familiar with switches like these, and know better.

Also, I wonder if a wiring issue could play into this problem. I haven't grounded the inverter yet. The breaker panel is connected to the live and neutral exits. There are also live and neutral entrances, but they are hardly generating current, and are not being used. One thing I don't understand is in the installation directions it shows the entrances connecting to the breaker box, but there's no current at those entrances, so I hooked the exits to the breaker box to get current, also at only 91V. The directions also show the exit wiring to a breaker and small load, but they're not being used at all right now. This wiring diagram doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not an electrician. It just seems that a wired connection to the breaker box should have current running through it!

Here is a URL to the inverter, but unfortunately for many of you is only in Spanish, being a Mexican brand. [URL="http://www.conermex.com.mx/files/file/HojasTecnicas/04_Inversores/inversor_cargador_de-baterias.pdf"] But it has lots of technical things at the bottom which are probably understood by all who know about those things. It's the model 1524.

There's no one within hours of here who knows anything about solar systems! And there aren't good electricians nearby either. It would likely be easier for me if there were. So I'm sure hoping that you all can help me! And I've tried to be as detailed as I know how to about things I don't fully understand, with the hope that it might give you some good clues. Thanks so much for trying to figure this out for me.

Comment

STOP. Don't try to ground the inverter - unless the manual states you should. Most mod-square wave (I refuse to call them mod-sine) inverters will release all the magic smoke inside, when you ground them.

Motors (fridges, fans, pumps) will consume 20% more power on mod-square inverters, and that gets turned into heat in the motor, not good for long motor life.

If the inverter wires, or the battery cannot deliver the huge starting surge needed @ 12V, for the 120V appliance, you get stalling motors.

So, lets back up, and how about you list for us, what you are trying to power, and maybe we can sort it out.

It's likely to end up with at least a 24V system and pure sine inverter though.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by dlnelsonroca View Post

Here is a URL to the inverter, but unfortunately for many of you is only in Spanish, being a Mexican brand. [URL="http://www.conermex.com.mx/files/file/HojasTecnicas/04_Inversores/inversor_cargador_de-baterias.pdf"] But it has lots of technical things at the bottom which are probably understood by all who know about those things. It's the model 1524.

There's no one within hours of here who knows anything about solar systems! And there aren't good electricians nearby either. It would likely be easier for me if there were. So I'm sure hoping that you all can help me! And I've tried to be as detailed as I know how to about things I don't fully understand, with the hope that it might give you some good clues. Thanks so much for trying to figure this out for me.
            My reading of the pdf is that the units described there contain DC to DC convertors which will take 20-30 volts DC as input from solar or some other variable DC source and deliver a regulated voltage 24 volt DC out. (in other words similar to MMPT Charge Controllers? Or PWM CCs with a voltage boost circuit?) And in addition they contain an inverter to deliver line voltage AC, running from the batteries and having a 20 volt low battery voltage cutout. There is no indication of whether they actually deliver a proper controlled charging voltage profile or are just fixed voltage chargers. The manual itself should clarify that.
            So there should be DC input terminals, DC load and possibly separate DC to Battery terminals, as well as DC input from batteries to the inverter and AC output of the inverter. I would be very careful to correctly identify these before trying to hook them up!
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

switched to pure sine, fuse box hot, panel voltage may be low

Thanks for your previous help. I ended up returning the first inverter, and got a pure sine one, as suugested. Now the house voltage is at 110+. I may have a new problem, however.

I measure the DC voltage from the solar panels to a 30 amp fuse box that's between the panels and the controller, and it's measuring a little over 27 in full sunlight. I thought it should be more. I have eight 130 watt panels (four negative and four positive) wired in series for my 24 volt system. Shouldn't that produce substantially more voltage than it's producing before going to the controller?

Also I notice that the 30 amp fuse box, and the #8 gauge wires connecting the panels to the box and also the box to the controller are pretty hot to the touch.

Those are my clues and problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I live in southern Mexico in a small fishing village, and there aren't many solar power resources any where near by!

Comment

Thanks for your previous help. I ended up returning the first inverter, and got a pure sine one, as suugested. Now the house voltage is at 110+. I may have a new problem, however.

I measure the DC voltage from the solar panels to a 30 amp fuse box that's between the panels and the controller, and it's measuring a little over 27 in full sunlight. I thought it should be more. I have eight 130 watt panels (four negative and four positive) wired in series for my 24 volt system. Shouldn't that produce substantially more voltage than it's producing before going to the controller?

Also I notice that the 30 amp fuse box, and the #8 gauge wires connecting the panels to the box and also the box to the controller are pretty hot to the touch.

Those are my clues and problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I live in southern Mexico in a small fishing village, and there aren't many solar power resources any where near by!
                If you are using a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) charge controller (built into your inverter-charger?), then the voltage you read at the panels will be at most a few volts a above the voltage that the batteries are holding at. If you want to check the voltage of your panels, you can measure the open circuit voltage (Voc) with the panels disconnected from the charger and compare it to the Voc specification for the panels. If you use a Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) charge controller, then the voltage you measure at the panels will be the maximum power voltage (Vmp) of the panels while the batteries are capable of accepting the full output of the panels and then it will rise toward the Voc as the charge to the batteries tapers off.

An MPPT charge controller will get up to twice the power from that panels as a PWM controller will. But they cost a lot more, and if you have more than enough panel power to keep up with the drain on your batteries, it will be an unnecessary expense.
                However, if as you get toward midwinter and the panel voltage gets higher while at the same time the available sunlight decreases, the extra power from an MPPT CC may make the difference between keeping your batteries charged and having them steadily drop.

Your description of your panel wiring (8, 4 negative and 4 positive, in series) does not quite make sense. Can you draw us a diagram and also include the specifications of the panels?
                If your panels are really producing much more then than the 30+ volts it takes to charge the 24 volt batteries, then you are wasting a lot of power.

If you are taking 8 130 watt nominal 12 volt panels and wiring them in series-parallel, then you could be producing as much as 26 amps. If they are nominal 24 volt panels with Voc = 35 volts, then it could be as much as 34 amps. That will definitely heat up a 30 amp fuse, although it will not cause it to blow. Similarly, the #8 wire is on the small side for running both from the panels to the fuse box and from there to the charger.
                For example, 20 feet of distance and two #8 copper wires will drop 1 volt at 34 amps.
                This is considered on the limit (~5% power loss) for a solar installation.
                If you use an MPPT controller, you will be able to put your panels in a series string (2, 3, or maybe even 4 panels in a string) and use much smaller wire or keep the #8 you have and get only 1/4 the voltage drop and 1/16 the power loss.

Comment

the controller is PWM

Hi, again. Thanks for such a complete answer! I'm learning. I checked the documentation on the controller, and it's a PWM, Phocos CX40. I'll attach a drawing of how I wired the panels, plus a description of the panels. What I do know off hand is that there are eight panels of 130. I had seven, but bought another. I don't have documentation for the eighth panel, but it's either 130 or 135. The drawing shows six panels with an outline for the other two, which I installed. I haven't disconnected the solar array yet from the fuse box and controller to measure how much voltage they're producing presently, but before I dismounted and remounted them to waterproof the roof they're on, there were six, producing 35 volts total.

The controller charges throughout the day (there's great sun here, with a good east/west orientation), and it tells me that at the end of the day the batteries are charged between 80% and 100%. But the charging indicator still registers that it's charging until the sun goes down. So I'm assuming that this means that the batteries don't really get fully charged. By bedtime the controller shows about 50% or less. Is that because of the PWM controller? And, if so, should I get an MPPT controller instead. Or does that indicate something else.

These results are from running a medium sized refrigerator, no more than eight LCD light bulbs, and an occasional ceiling fan for short periods of time. We have a few other small appliances, but we haven't run them in the house yet, it being very new still, actually just finished, and moving in today!

Thanks again for your help in figuring this out with me!solar panel config.jpgsolar panel config.jpgSunmodule-offgrid-sw-130-135-140-poly-R6A.PDFsolar panel config.jpgSunmodule-offgrid-sw-130-135-140-poly-R6A.PDF

Comment

By bedtime the controller shows about 50% or less. Is that because of the PWM controller? And, if so, should I get an MPPT controller instead. Or does that indicate something else.
                    It means you have a serious problem if that is 50% State of Charge. You should be no lower than 80% by sunrise the next day. It means you do not have enough panel wattage, battery capacity, and/or both.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

The controller charges throughout the day (there's great sun here, with a good east/west orientation), and it tells me that at the end of the day the batteries are charged between 80% and 100%. But the charging indicator still registers that it's charging until the sun goes down. So I'm assuming that this means that the batteries don't really get fully charged. By bedtime the controller shows about 50% or less. Is that because of the PWM controller? And, if so, should I get an MPPT controller instead. Or does that indicate something else.

These results are from running a medium sized refrigerator, no more than eight LCD light bulbs, and an occasional ceiling fan for short periods of time. We have a few other small appliances, but we haven't run them in the house yet, it being very new still, actually just finished, and moving in today!

Thanks again for your help in figuring this out with me!
                      OK. Your Vmp for the pairs of panels in series is indeed supposed to be around 35 volts. They should produce about 6 amps each at MPP, for a total current of 18 amps for six or 24 amps for 8. An MPPT controller is not absolutely necessary for this configuration, but if you need every last bit of power, especially in cold weather, you could get as much as 20% more from the panels.

For a 24 volt system, your batteries should just be in series rather than series parallel, and you do not state how many Amp Hours each of the 6 volt batteries is. That will have an effect on how well the panels can charge the batteries. But if your CC show 50% every day, you are pulling more from the batteries than your panels can put back and you are in danger of ruining your batteries.

You need to determine just what your load wattage and times are!

Comment

are my batteries damaged?

It's been a while since I wrote, but I've been trying to figure out what's going on, and getting data. I appreciate your responses already, and hope to get it all sorted out before too long. There's no one anywhere near where I'm at that knows much about this!

The panels are consistently producing between 37 and 38 volts, and charging the battery bank of four Surrette S-600, 6V, 600 Ah @ 100 hr for the 24 volt system. Early in the day they are fully charged, according to the computer datalogger on the separate controller. But at night they go down often to 75%, and that's with almost no load during the night, sometimes one ceiling fan for a few hours, and no appliances plugged in. I've checked the electrolytes with a hydrometer, and they're staying between 12.25 and 12.75. I don't have access to a carbon pile load tester here. The batteries are less than a year old, although early on they did get discharged to less than 10% probably a dozen times.

In my house we only have ceiling fans which I run only one at a time for less than eight hours daily (BTW it's NEVER cold here), a fairly new refrigerator, advertised as being energy efficient (plugged into an outside source presently), LED lights, which are only on in the room that I'm in for maybe five hours daily, a cell phone plugged in, a gas oven plugged in for the spark that ignites the burners. I have a washer and gas dryer, also new, which I've rarely used and only in the late morning. With the refrigerator plugged in the remaining power by morning is usually at about 25% or less!

The system uses eight 135 watt Solarworld panels and the four batteries, with a pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter. Is the system sufficient? Or have I ruined my batteries? Or do I have an electricity drain somewhere? The datalogger (with the refrigerator not attached for several days) tells me, if I remember right, that I'm using an average of 80 amperehours daily, with an excess of 15-20.

This probably is unrelated, but the LED lights sometimes slightly flicker.

I greatly appreciate your well thought out answers and advice to my dilemma! Thanks again!

Comment

The panels are consistently producing between 37 and 38 volts, and charging the battery bank of four Surrette S-600, 6V, 600 Ah @ 100 hr for the 24 volt system.
                          Correct me if I am wrong but you did say you have a PWM controller correct? Assuming the batteries are demanding full current you had better not be seeing 37 to 38 volts from the panels. You should be seeing only about 26 to 28 volts or 1 volt higher than the batteries. Only time you would see 37 to 38 volts is after the batteries are fully charged up when the PWM controller duty cycle drops off.

Early in the day they are fully charged, according to the computer datalogger on the separate controller. But at night they go down often to 75%, and that's with almost no load during the night, sometimes one ceiling fan for a few hours, and no appliances plugged in. I've checked the electrolytes with a hydrometer, and they're staying between 12.25 and 12.75.
                          That is not possible to have a Specific Gravity of 12.25. Did you mean 1.225 to 1.275?

How do you determine they go down to 75% and what do you mean? 75% State of Charge or 75% DOD. The only way to determine the true state of charge is with a temperature corrected hydrometer reading.

In my house we only have ceiling fans which I run only one at a time for less than eight hours daily (BTW it's NEVER cold here), a fairly new refrigerator, advertised as being energy efficient (plugged into an outside source presently), LED lights, which are only on in the room that I'm in for maybe five hours daily, a cell phone plugged in, a gas oven plugged in for the spark that ignites the burners. I have a washer and gas dryer, also new, which I've rarely used and only in the late morning. With the refrigerator plugged in the remaining power by morning is usually at about 25% or less!

The system uses eight 135 watt Solarworld panels and the four batteries, with a pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter. Is the system sufficient? Or have I ruined my batteries? Or do I have an electricity drain somewhere? The datalogger (with the refrigerator not attached for several days) tells me, if I remember right, that I'm using an average of 80 amperehours daily, with an excess of 15-20.
                          Assuming you have everything wired correctly and your numbers are accurate, you should have more than enough capacity. 80 AH @ 24 volts is roughly 2 Kwh, and you have 1080 watts of panels using a PWM controller which means you need at least 4 sun hours per day of sun which is no problem with your location. I can only assume you are not interpretting the data correctly specifically your battery Specific Gravity. The battery SPG tells th etruth assuming you have a good hydrometer.

Try this late tonight or better first thing in the morning before the sun comes up. Measure the SPG in each cell and report back with Cell #:
                          Readings. Do not bother with voltages, we do not need to know them.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for your help! The controller is a PWM, and the panels are sending the 26-28 volts, only showing 37-38 if I flip the breaker to the controller.

The 75% comes from the computer reading when I hook it up to the controller, which shows an state of battery charge evening percentage, 100%, and a morning percentage of 75%. That's without the refrigerator plugged in overnight. With the fridge it shows 25%, and sometimes lower in the morning. I haven't had the fridge hooked up for a week now.

I was told when I bought the system that the eight panels and four batteries should deliver an average of 6 kwh daily. Is that incorrect? Because my house should be using an average of a little under 4 kwh daily according to what I and the solar salesperson calculated.

My hydrometer is one I bought at Autozone, is about a foot long glass tube with a weighted float in it, and has a green area (1.275 - 1.3), and two other colors indicating lesser readings.

The readings this morning before dawn were:
                            1 - 1.3
                            2 - 1.3
                            3 - 1.3
                            4 - 1.275
                            5 - 1.3
                            6 - 1.3
                            7 - 1.3
                            8 - 1.275
                            9 - 1.275
                            10 - 1.3
                            11 - 1.275
                            12 - 1.275

A few weeks ago I removed some liquid and then added electrolyte to all the cells because they were reading below 1.225, I assume from being practically discharged several times, after which they were only charging during the day to 80%, and at night 10%. Since I added electrolyte the levels have been pretty much the same as above, charging each day to 100% with the morning charge levels written above.

Thanks again! I look forward to getting this issue solved!

Comment

A few weeks ago I removed some liquid and then added electrolyte to all the cells because they were reading below 1.225, I assume from being practically discharged several times, after which they were only charging during the day to 80%, and at night 10%. Since I added electrolyte the levels have been pretty much the same as above, charging each day to 100% with the morning charge levels written above.

Thanks again! I look forward to getting this issue solved!
                              Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you should only be adding distilled water to the batteries, never sulfuric acid electrolyte.
                              If the SG does not go to the level of a new fully charged battery it is usually an indication that some of the sulphur is tied in the form of sulphate clinging to the plates. Increasing the SG by adding acid will give you a false sense of battery health and will distort what would otherwise be a good diagnostic indicator.

Also, if you bring up the SG while the battery is still able to accept charge (even slowly) you run the risk of the SG going too high and causing other problems like plate erosion and increased self-discharge.

The only time you are justified in adding electrolyte is if you know for sure that some was actually spilled rather than just "boiled" in the gassing stage of charging or equalization.

Comment

Working...
                              X