Good looking solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good looking solar panels

Why are there no good looking solar panels on the market, all the panels I see are big bulky and dont look great...

Originally posted by shteca View Post
    Why are there no good looking solar panels on the market, all the panels I see are big bulky and dont look great...
    What would "look good" in your mind?
    2 x 240w solar > Midnite Classic 150 > 380 Ah 12v

Comment

Originally posted by Vern Faulkner View Post
      What would "look good" in your mind?
      Maybe he is looking for a 1000 watt panel that measures about 300mm on each side (1ft2)?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

There are some high end "green" architects who do high value solar installations with unlimited budget that can afford to buy custom panels, including cuved glass, frameless and tinted different colors. The reality is that the desingeers and owner could care less how much power they generate and its all just for show, more art than practical. The real world has allowed evolution to take its course on panel design to maximize the output compared to cost so thats what sells. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I really like that net metering credit and the low cost of panels.

I did always like the old ARCO panels with the polka dot pattern but I expect to many they wouldnt let then near their home.

I like function over form, but most of the design industry wants form first and could care less about function as they get their up front commission on the installed cost of equipment and could care less on the long term. This explains why LEEDs buildings are somewhat notorious for becoming energy hogs as once the plaque is screwed on the wall, the folks who actually have to live with the structure and maintain it end up having to compromise the design so they are habitable.

Comment

Good looking modules usually use black backing. Frameless models out there cost a lot more. Lumos modules offer some sexy panels and very costly.

Do you have a lot of friends and neighbors who are highly judgemental? If so, life costs more to please them.
          PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

Originally posted by bonaire View Post
            Do you have a lot of friends and neighbors who are highly judgemental? If so, life costs more to please them.
            Those kind of friends I don't have and don't want!
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Darn Russ, great minds think alike.

Keeping up with the friends and neighbors and their expectations is the doom of many.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
                Darn Russ, great minds think alike.

Keeping up with the friends and neighbors and their expectations is the doom of many.
                But if you try hard enough to get away from hostile neighbors, you end up off-grid and the whole equation changes.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                  But if you try hard enough to get away from hostile neighbors, you end up off-grid and the whole equation changes.
                  Actually planning on going the opposite way. At present we have a home on the Gulf of Izmir - out in a village and up on a hillside. Neighbors but not bad at all.

Problems is there is always something to do that we have trouble leaving - even with a gardener it is difficult to get away.

At present we have the house on the market and we will buy a condo in town - then it is easier to pick up and travel whenever we want.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Can panels be mounted flat and flush?

Do the panels mount raised or flat and fish. Sorry if it is a basic question. Complete newbie and just starting research.

Comment

The PV panels would normally be at least 150 mm (6") off the roof to allow air circulation under and around them.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Good looking solar panels

There are some high end "green" architects who do high value solar installations with unlimited budget that can afford to buy custom panels, including cuved glass, frameless and tinted different colors. The reality is that the desingeers and owner could care less how much power they generate and its all just for show, more art than practical. The real world has allowed evolution to take its course on panel design to maximize the output compared to cost so thats what sells.
                        Last edited by Alex75; 05-01-2013, 03:43 AM. Reason: format
                        i is spammer

Comment

What happened to shteca [the original poster] of this thread? I'd like to know what he/she was looking for?

Mike

Comment

There area lot of one timer posters here. Some call them drive by. Some folks get an idea that solar is for them and that after doing the research, find out its a lot of planning, work and money...
                            PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

I like the look of the Xseries all-black panels from Sunpower. but a little too much $ for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X