Charging 12 volt Battery Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rodney123 View Post
    Would someone explain what C/8 and C/12 with C/10 means.
    c is the Amp Hour rating of the battery and the number 8, 10, 12 are hours. So if you charge a 100 AH battery at the C/10 rate 100 AH / 10 H = 10 Amps. Simple 5th grade math. AH / H = A
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for the information and suggestions everyone.
      Would someone explain what C/8 and C/12 with C/10 means.
      Also I haven't heard anything about chemical Reconditioners yet. Getting one more year out of my batteries would be nice if at all possible.
      I wouldn't invest a lot of money on battery reconditioners. You might want to look into first reducing your daily load so the batteries last a little longer as well as researching a new battery system.

Comment

Old batteries

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        I wouldn't invest a lot of money on battery reconditioners. You might want to look into first reducing your daily load so the batteries last a little longer as well as researching a new battery system.
        I think your right. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          c is the Amp Hour rating of the battery and the number 8, 10, 12 are hours. So if you charge a 100 AH battery at the C/10 rate 100 AH / 10 H = 10 Amps. Simple 5th grade math. AH / H = A
          It is actually a little more complicated than that when folks are being casual about typing and printing (as is common on this forum). You need to understand what they might mean instead.

The 20 hour capacity is represented in good typography as C20 or occasionally C(20). For the typographically challenged it is sometimes written as C20 or just plain C.

Once you get past that, a number before the C or after the C with a "/" in between should only be used for a rate which is based on whichever C rate you are using for reference. So, as you said, C/10 would be the (twenty hour) C rate divided by ten, and would be a current in amps. And 4C would also be a current in amps which is four times the (twenty hour) C rate.

But some folks write C/20 when they really mean C20, so look carefully at the context.

PS: It is relatively easy to enter subscripts and superscripts when composing a post, just use the x2 or x2 buttons in the formatting bar. If only it were as easy to get ohm and degree symbols. <sigh>
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
            He better get rid of those two 12volt inverter and buy a 48 volt 3000watts pure shine wave inverter and rewire the batteries to 3 strings 48 volts bank, he only need to use ONE 60 amps MPPT charge controller to charge those batteries. life would be much easier.
            I now have 5 strings of 4 - 6 volt batteries (t-105 new) with a 24 volt 5000 watt pure sine wave inverter and 3 - 24 volt 60 amp mppt's with 48 - 75 watt siemens solar panels. My question is, Is it possible to hook up my 2 - 12 volt battery chargers ( 50 amp each) for back-up, to charge a 24 volt system? Or will I have to buy new chargers too.
            If you see any other problems with this set-up, Please let me know.
            Thank you.
            HELP!

Comment

....... My question is, Is it possible to hook up my 2 - 12 volt battery chargers ( 50 amp) for back-up, to charge a 24 volt system? Or will I have to buy new chargers too......
              Most likely, yes.

It is possible, if the charger output is completely isolated, to hook up as you describe. You can use 2 isolation transformers, if the chargers are not isolated.

You will know if they are not isolated because a dead short will occur when you hook them up. Along with sparks and flames. If you are really lucky, it happens when you first connect. Unlucky - it happens 10 minutes later, after you walk away and the meager insulation slowly fries.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
              X