Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding batteries to solar PC system (for power outage)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok - I meant diesel. Was on an early train ride this morning. LPG and NG are better for standby generators. Then there are the gasoline powered wheel-around generators (the 5000W kind) that you can plug in with a 50A plug and back-feed your house if you have the proper breaker switch disabled so as to disconnect from the grid. That would be the gas-powered generator solution. This kind of thing: http://www.tcscooters.com/backfeed.htm Backfeeding is very risky but you know people are out there doing it here and there. I'd rather see the OP of this thread go the route of pro-installed generator for his power outages than using Solar battery backup.
    PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

Originally posted by bonaire View Post
      Then there are the gasoline powered wheel-around generators (the 5000W kind)
      That would be your Portable Consumer Disposable type generator.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by bonaire View Post
        ... and back-feed your house if you have the proper breaker switch disabled so as to disconnect from the grid. That would be the gas-powered generator solution. This kind of thing: http://www.tcscooters.com/backfeed.htm Backfeeding is very risky but you know people are out there doing it here and there.
        I took a look at that link. I would not even consider recommending it to anyone. Among other things he has wire colors wrong in some cases and his advice on methods 2, 4 and 5 is likely to produce an open neutral or other really bad consequences if the outlets on the generator are either three wire 120v. twist-lock or four wire 240 volt twist-lock.
        Fortunately the ground wire and neutral in the house wiring will remain bonded at the POCO service entrance. But the generator 240 volts could still end up with a floating neutral. Pop go the light bulbs and expensive electronics and appliances.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
        X