X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyjames
    • Apr 2014

Efficiency should be around the same

Originally posted by Naptown
    Has anyone here used the solar edge inverters and optimizers?
    And have you seen any inverter efficiencies any where near the 99% they are claiming?
    Efficiency in solar inverters should be pretty consistent from brand to brand, biggest think to look for is reliability. SMA or Powerone for mine.

Comment

• Edddieboy
      • May 2015

solaredge vs. enphase

hi folks,
      I'm new to this but doing research. I appreciate all comments so far. But one of the issues I read about elsewhere is efficiency & failure: if one panel in Solar edge is bad or producing lower energy it effects the whole power output. Whereas with enphase they are individually wired so this wouldn't be a problem. Am I wrong on this? Thanks

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Edddieboy
        hi folks,
        I'm new to this but doing research. I appreciate all comments so far. But one of the issues I read about elsewhere is efficiency & failure: if one panel in Solar edge is bad or producing lower energy it effects the whole power output. Whereas with enphase they are individually wired so this wouldn't be a problem. Am I wrong on this? Thanks
        Nope. If one modules is down the rest keep going with solarEdge.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jtstott
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by ButchDeal
          Nope. If one modules is down the rest keep going with solarEdge.
          If you are using the Solar edge power optimizers.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jtstott
            If you are using the Solar edge power optimizers.
            A solarEdge inverter isn't much use without the optimizers.

Comment

• jtstott
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by ButchDeal
              A solarEdge inverter isn't much use without the optimizers.
              Agreed. Just wanted to put that out there though.
              I had a salesman come to price me out for a system, the company he worked for used solaredge inverters, he had no idea what the power optimizers were. That was red flag #2 with him. Redflag #1: "What you should do is max out your roof w/ LG-300 panels build up your net credits and use electric heaters for your primary heat source in the winter"

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Agreed. Just wanted to put that out there though.
                I had a salesman come to price me out for a system, the company he worked for used solaredge inverters, he had no idea what the power optimizers were.
                The confusion is that they are just power optimizers. SolarEdge is really an optimized inverter. The inverter doesn't have any MPPT optimization built in, it is distributed to the optimizers. Thus it is an integrated system.

On the designs I work on, I like to try to max production upto 110% of consumption while minimizing costs and meeting any customer specific requests ( Black on Black, bymodal, etc.). currently solarEdge and Canadian more often than not, hit the best price point for us.

Comment

• kevcor620
                  • May 2015

While Enphase warranty may not cover labor, many solar installers provide their own service warranty. I purchased an 11.44 kw with Enphase micro-inverters from Direct Energy, and they provide a 20 year labor warranty on the panels and micro-inverters.

Comment

• Riverside Solar
                    Banned
                    • May 2015

Direct Energy

How was the whole process with Direct Energy?

Comment

• donald
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2015

Redflag #1: "What you should do is max out your roof w/ LG-300 panels build up your net credits and use electric heaters for your primary heat source in the winter"
                      Did he have numbers that showed electric heat worked? Are you gas or oil?

Comment

• kevcor620
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by Riverside Solar
                        How was the whole process with Direct Energy?
                        Direct Energy was great! I got bids from six companies. Direct wasn't the cheapest (although it was very close), but they had the best warranties, good reviews, and rock solid financial backing from the parent company which made me decide to pay a couple extra dollars for the security that they will be around in the long run to back up their labor warranties. The process was very smooth. They did not try to push me into a PPA/Lease as others tried to, and were helpful and responsive throughout. That being said, a company is usually judged on how they respond when something goes wrong, which hasn't happend yet. So if it does, we shall see how it goes. But for now, I give them two thumbs up

Comment

• Riverside Solar
                          Banned
                          • May 2015

The electric heat idea

The electric heat idea seems like a bad one but I guess depending on the cost of your current heating options I suppose it could make some sense.

Comment

• kevcor620
                            • May 2015

paying the extra cost to oversize your system with the intent on "building up net credits" for annual winter heating is risky, as it assumes that current 1:1 net metering will continue long term. This assumption is tenuous at best. As much as I LOVE current net metering, the utilities have a valid point that it is unfair, and IMO will eventually will put enough money into politicians pockets to have the regulations changed.

Comment

• jtstott
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Riverside Solar
                              The electric heat idea seems like a bad one but I guess depending on the cost of your current heating options I suppose it could make some sense.
                              It is a terrible idea seeing I can't print the money to max out my roof (we are oversizing by 25% as it is to cover additions) and I live in Massachusetts. Electric heat can add up FAST in the winter.

Comment

• donald
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2015

It is a terrible idea seeing I can't print the money to max out my roof (we are oversizing by 25% as it is to cover additions) and I live in Massachusetts. Electric heat can add up FAST in the winter.
                                Electric heat sometimes works economically if oil is the alternative, and a ground loop heat pump can be installed reasonably easily. If natural gas is available, this setup probably has no chance of being economic.

Guaranteed net metering would make it particularly attractive. Make a lot of power in the summer. Get it back in the winter.

Comment

Working...