Solar edge vs enphase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some slight corrections as I see it

People I know with the Enphase 215s see them clip at 225W.. The argument is that .. sure.. they clip now.. but as panels degrade.. will less so.. plus.. only clip on cold days when your output can get above 225. Their power curves are broader approaching that clipping so its not like the panels higher than 225 are completely wasted.

The solaredge powerboxes that go on the roof with each panel have a 25 yr warranty.. its only the central inverter that has the 12 year.. extendable to 20 or 25 apparently but verdict is out as to if that made more sense than just buying a new one for $1500..

They have a new powerbox model I was reading about (perhaps not avail yet) that will work with other people's inverters.. interesting.. to retro fit perhaps systems already with a central inverter.. not sure other reasons.

S

Comment

Originally posted by vtkahns View Post
      People I know with the Enphase 215s see them clip at 225W.. The argument is that .. sure.. they clip now.. but as panels degrade.. will less so.. plus.. only clip on cold days when your output can get above 225. Their power curves are broader approaching that clipping so its not like the panels higher than 225 are completely wasted.
      So would I be correct in saying that a 250w panel connected to an enphase 215 on a perfect day would generate 225w, while a 250w panel as part of a SolarEdge system would generate about 250w? In my future 24 panel system that would be a difference of about 600w. I'm still torn.

Comment

1 consideration is the PTC rating

PTC rating plays a part here and it varies from panel to panel. A 250w panel will produce 250w in a laboratory (STC rating) but outside on a roof top a more accurate measurement would be PTC. PTC regularly runs about 87-92% of STC. 250w panel would almost always have a top end production at 218-230w and less as the years pass. A 240w panel would usually be between 209-221 less as the years pass. Can laboratory conditions exist on your rooftop? Sure but it will not only have to be the correct temp but right time of day/season for the sun angle etc. In my opinion a 240w panel is the highest I will combine with micro inverters. If you are basing your decision on cost/production then it gets a bit more murky.

Comment

So it sounds like they're pretty neck-a-neck on output for the 235-260w panel range. In that case, I'd say Enphase wins on ease of install (no string sizing) and warranty. Thanks for your input SoCalsolar and vtkahns.

I just wish the new Helios Solsimple all-in-one panels had a more competitive price, because that seems like a real winner.

Comment

Good luck

Originally posted by chrissilich View Post
            So it sounds like they're pretty neck-a-neck on output for the 235-260w panel range. In that case, I'd say Enphase wins on ease of install (no string sizing) and warranty. Thanks for your input SoCalsolar and vtkahns.

I just wish the new Helios Solsimple all-in-one panels had a more competitive price, because that seems like a real winner.

Not aware of any string sizing issue with solaredge.. .. think it takes up to 28 or something ( i have only 18 so it was no issue ) .. as long as the inverter you mate up to has >= the capacity of those panels... No need to throw away power.

My configuration rarely gets me 240W out of my panels.. only in a very crisp.. sun / cloud situation and those spikes are short lived. They can go as high as 5000W where my inverter will stop them... but my system at STC only does 4300 W.

If I get to 4000W, I'm happy.. usually more in the 3-3.3K range all summer long due to heat..

I wish there was a head to head system split down the middle. 1/2 with one type.. 1/2 with another type.. so one could really see if there is a long term difference one way or another.. Go for 50% of each and let us know !

Vtkahns

Comment

Originally posted by vtkahns View Post
              Go for 50% of each and let us know !
              Ha! Anyone volunteering to fund this experiment?

*crickets*

*crickets*

Comment

Would love to get any update from this topic especially with respect to enphase M250 vs. Solaredge

Comment

Originally posted by grkmec View Post
                  Would love to get any update from this topic especially with respect to enphase M250 vs. Solaredge
                  +1, I have been looking at both of these products. Seems like the folks on the forums have some disdain for enphase due to some changed terms on their warranty (not covering labor) and slow responsiveness to replacing failed units.

re: Solaredge, seems like not enough history for people to speak confidently (although the handful of people I've read comments from seem to like them)

Anything I'm missing?

Comment

Originally posted by lalaw View Post
                    +1, I have been looking at both of these products. Seems like the folks on the forums have some disdain for enphase due to some changed terms on their warranty (not covering labor) and slow responsiveness to replacing failed units.

re: Solaredge, seems like not enough history for people to speak confidently (although the handful of people I've read comments from seem to like them)

Anything I'm missing?
                    If you don't have a shade problem they are a waste.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                      If you don't have a shade problem they are a waste.
                      Agree, but if I do have shade, I assume they are worth looking at? A guy on my roof said I have a couple of good spots where shade value are 92-95%, but others down into the 80s.

Comment

Agree, but if I do have shade, I assume they are worth looking at? A guy on my roof said I have a couple of good spots where shade value are 92-95%, but others down into the 80s.
                        in your case it is worth your while to look at both types.
                        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

You don't have a small shade problem - you have a major shade problem.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi Guys,

New hear and trying to learn as much as possible before committing to a system. So thanks for any advice or info.

Basically I am in the same boat with shading. Over here in Australia we don't have the Enphase M250's yet. Apparently they won't be here for 3-4 months at the earliest which will be winter for us.

We want to install a 7.25kw system with two arrays of approximately 13-14 x North roof and 11-12 West roof. We are thinking of using either LG 300 or 290 Mono X Neons.

Basically what I am hoping is the people can give me some advice on whether to wait for the Enphase M250's or go the SolarEdge optimizer route.

I have done as much research as I can but cannot find any definitive answer on whether

a) microinverters are better than optimizers or vice versa or

b) Would the Optimizers be a better choice over M250 on the LG panels? or would the Enphase inverters be a better choice?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by perch View Post
                              Hi Guys,

New hear and trying to learn as much as possible before committing to a system. So thanks for any advice or info.

Basically I am in the same boat with shading. Over here in Australia we don't have the Enphase M250's yet. Apparently they won't be here for 3-4 months at the earliest which will be winter for us.

We want to install a 7.25kw system with two arrays of approximately 13-14 x North roof and 11-12 West roof. We are thinking of using either LG 300 or 290 Mono X Neons.

Basically what I am hoping is the people can give me some advice on whether to wait for the Enphase M250's or go the SolarEdge optimizer route.

I have done as much research as I can but cannot find any definitive answer on whether

a) microinverters are better than optimizers or vice versa or

b) Would the Optimizers be a better choice over M250 on the LG panels? or would the Enphase inverters be a better choice?

Thanks
                              If your biggest concern it the North versus West array, without any partial shading within each array, then you could even put the same number of panels on each roof and parallel them into one MPPT input.
                              But if you have partial shading, varying throughout even the parts of the day near noon, then micros would probably be the better way to go. And at a minimum you would need two MPPT inputs worth of string inverter.

If all of the panels in each array are in series, then shading will not be as overwhelming a problem. But if you have two or more strings in parallel, you need to look harder at the timing and effect of shade.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Yes we have different shading throughout the day and also different roof spaces. The west roof area is far smaller than the north. The shading comes from tall trees to the North East to East and then trees in the West in the afternoon (but the west ones I can prune to stop their shading).

And sorry for my ignorance but why micro's over optimizers?

Comment

Working...
                                X