Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrissilich
    • Oct 2012

AC modules

Anyone know if you need a fence around a system based on AC modules, which use UL listed cables? It seems to me like this would be no more dangerous than leaving an extension cable outside for the christmas lights.

Comment

• green
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by chrissilich
      Anyone know if you need a fence around a system based on AC modules, which use UL listed cables? It seems to me like this would be no more dangerous than leaving an extension cable outside for the christmas lights.
      You would have to check with your local authorities. I think more than the type of power leaving the array, the problem is the exposed wires and inverters on the back of the panels. You need to prevent anyone from being able to access the exposed electronics.

Green

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Which would not be acceptable to an inspector if they had any jurisdiction over it!

In addition to the possibility of exposing passers-by (trespassers, even) to dangerous voltages, there is still the issue of damage, accidental or otherwise, to the wiring, thereby creating a dangerous situation.

The only final answer to your question is what you local AHJ will approve. That varies even when the same version of the NEC is used, without local amendments, by different jurisdictions.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• chrissilich
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by green
          You need to prevent anyone from being able to access the exposed electronics.
          Exactly my point. I haven't researched the other ones, but the Helios ones have only UL listed cables (for whatever that's worth) and the connectors are all a custom type that you screw together with a screwdriver. The trunk cable (as they call it) goes into a junction box, and you use conduit to get it to the house. A child or vandal could come along with a cutting tool, sure, but again, they could do that to my christmas lights right now. Hell, it would be easier to unplug the christmas lights and jam something metal in the outlet. I guess what I'm saying is... are there any exposed electronics in the eyes of an inspector with this system?

Helios's special connector:

EDIT: sorry for highjacking the thread here guys.

Comment

• chrissilich
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
            Which would not be acceptable to an inspector if they had any jurisdiction over it!

So how are we meant to be doing our christmas lights?

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

So how are we meant to be doing our christmas lights?
              Simple: Run underground wire from one or more GFCI-protected circuit breakers to individual rigidly mounted weathertight outlet boxes with in-use weather protection covers and then plug your lights directly into those outlets without using extension cords.

I am not saying that is reasonable, just what is pretty likely to be accepted by any inspector and to meet the actual useage instructions of all of the lights, displays and cords.

Oh, and just for the record, many of the strings of lights which are UL approved for outdoor use are still not allowed to be used "in wet conditions." Figure that one out!

And almost anything you plug in and expose to the rain will end up tripping your GFCI anyway.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• green
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2012

I guess what I'm saying is... are there any exposed electronics in the eyes of an inspector with this system?
                Again you would have to check, but in my opinion if a person or more importantly a child can grab those wires, that would be considered exposed wiring. Maybe your local AHJ would accept it if they were contained within conduit.

Green

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Cables are UL approved normally - what Helios has done is make up a special set they can charge more for - just a normal screwing of the customer.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• chrissilich
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
                    Cables are UL approved normally - what Helios has done is make up a special set they can charge more for - just a normal screwing of the customer.
                    Normally I'd say you're right, but in this case I found the Helios trunk cable to be under $2 a foot, so about $6 a panel if they're vertical. Compare that to Enphase trunk cables, which run about $25 per panel, and I'd say at least Helios might be trying to do right by us and make a cable for easy installation, not extra profit. I sound like a Helios cheerleader. I swear I'm not on their payroll.
                    Last edited by chrissilich; 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• Gordy
                      • May 2013

Also interested in fence alternatives

Originally posted by NorthwestPV
                      I created this pdf to illustrate what I intend. The holes in the fencing would be much smaller. If its not readily accessible, it doesn't need to be in a raceway. The wiring along the top would be above the 6'-6" mark.
                      Just making a first post so I can see the download

Comment

• Elliot
                        • Mar 2014

[QUOTE=Gordy;75953]Just making a first post so I can see the download[/QUOT
                        I am too

Comment

• Elliot
                          • Mar 2014

Trying to post first post to view download (again)

Comment

• peakbagger
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2010

The new code has a expanded definition of accessible wiring.

On my pole mount I have two rows of 5 panels. The top row has the junction boxes facing down so all the wiring is along the horizontal centerline of the array. I have welded galvanized mesh screwed onto the rack in this area to make it "inaccessible" Even the wires are visible through the mesh, a screw driver and a ladder is needed to get at the wiring.

Comment

• SolarCenTex
                              • Apr 2014

posting my first post because I want to see this

Would like to see this answer

Comment

• Jim1
                                • Jul 2014

Alternative to ground mount fence?

Originally posted by NorthwestPV
                                I've been trying to find an alternative to installing an ugly chain link fence around our ground mount installs. I looked at the UniSolar product but it doesn't quite work for what we need. I found a plastic product that is intended for poultry fencing that might work. it comes as 3' wide by 25' long. We usually mount our ground mounts in a landscape orientation. If we install all the cables end to end we could run this material up that section on the bottom of rails, then route the cabling between the sections at the top of the array where it will be out of the accessible range. The material is sunlight resistant as well and comes in black or green. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Great idea.

Comment

Working...