Looking to replace solar water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I have Splash RV & Marine Antifreeze
    Looks like the concentrations are a bit different Between the Harvey heat / Splash / Sierra

Harvey heat from plumbing supply has
    Dipotassium Phosphate 1.0 -2.0%
    Propylene Glycol 65.0 - 70.0

Slash RV stuff has
    Propylene Glycol <9 percent
    Glycerin <16 percent

Sierra has
    Propylene Glycol 94-96 %
    Water 3 %
    Proprietary Additives 1-3 %

Slash data sheet has this as well.
    APPEARANCE: Clear pink liquid
    BOILING POINT: 370°F
    ODOR: None
    FREEZE POINT: 9°F
    pH: 8.2
    VAPOR PRESSURE (mm of Hg) <.01 @20C (68F)
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY: (water =1): 1.01
    VAPOR DENSITY (Air =1): 2.6
    SOLUBILITY IN WATER: 100%
    EVAPORATION RATE (BuAc=1): Slight

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarmvk View Post
      This is what I have Splash RV & Marine Antifreeze
      Looks like the concentrations are a bit different Between the Harvey heat / Splash / Sierra

Harvey heat from plumbing supply has
      Dipotassium Phosphate 1.0 -2.0%
      Propylene Glycol 65.0 - 70.0

Slash RV stuff has
      Propylene Glycol <9 percent
      Glycerin <16 percent

Sierra has
      Propylene Glycol 94-96 %
      Water 3 %
      Proprietary Additives 1-3 %

Slash data sheet has this as well.
      APPEARANCE: Clear pink liquid
      BOILING POINT: 370°F
      ODOR: None
      FREEZE POINT: 9°F
      pH: 8.2
      VAPOR PRESSURE (mm of Hg) <.01 @20C (68F)
      SPECIFIC GRAVITY: (water =1): 1.01
      VAPOR DENSITY (Air =1): 2.6
      SOLUBILITY IN WATER: 100%
      EVAPORATION RATE (BuAc=1): Slight

They are actually very different. I would google propylene glycol for solar (dow, tyfocor, etc). Many of these RV types are not for dynamic systems with rapid freeze/boil issues but for static protection of a toilet trap. Very different application so it is a different product.

Comment

One can buy the 'special' solar propylene glycol and pay a silly price.

The Slash stuff seems to fit the bill
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post

What do you buy? I never thought of Tyfocor as special, just appropriate for the use. It is about $4-5/L retail depending where you get it.

Comment

I have two concerns about Slash mix as described by ardcarmvk (I have not checked the specs myself).

1. Propylene glycol < 9% --- That sure does not sound like a Propylene Glycol/water mix to me. At least not one good for very high temps as well as freezing.
            3. Glycerine <16 % ---- What is that Glycerine doing? Acting as anti-freeze? What are its high temp characteristics? Is it there primarily to prevent evaporation in an open trap? "EVAPORATION RATE (BuAc=1): Slight". That does not seem like an important characteristic for a closed system!
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
              I have two concerns about Slash mix as described by ardcarmvk (I have not checked the specs myself).
              I have a lot of concerns about things I have never looked at as well.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I have a lot of concerns about things I have never looked at as well.
                So now I have looked at it rather than just accepting what ardcarvmk posted. One problem with using a product meant for a different purpose to save money is that its formulation can change without your knowing it unless you pay attention.

The MSDS for Splash RV and Marine Antifreeze and Coolant (dated 2005) shows that it is essentially
                14% propylene glycol (PG) and
                10% ethanol.
                Are your seals and other parts rated for exposure to ethanol?
                Trace amounts of nasty stuff including Butyl Cellosolve.
                But it gets better:

As of 2012, Splash seems to be selling (at least on their web site) only three formulations (all pink!) :

Splash -50 blend RV and and Marine Antifreeze and Coolant:
                7% PG
                7% Glycerine
                <6% Ethanol
                Traces of miscellaneous stuff including Butyl Cellosolve (nasty)

Splash -50 RV and Marine Antifreeze and Coolant:
                <9% PG
                <16% Glycerine
                small amounts of additives, not harmful.

and Splash -100 RV and Marine Antifreeze and Coolant:
                25% PG
                25% Glycerine
                small amounts of additives, not harmful.

If you are looking to replace "pure" PG with only a few additives for high temp, anti-scaling, etc. Splash is NOT the thing to use.

Hint: If you are having trouble figuring out the ingredients from the label (especially online) try to find the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for the product. If it is up to date, it should be authoritative.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

There are lots of things I will experiment with but if the biggest solar companies in the world stock basically one product (Tyfocor G or GL) there must be a reason. I don't think it is wise to re-invent this wheel. Your local Buderus boiler supplier ,Viessmann supplier, Calefi dealer will have the stuff and if you only need 20-40L, it is a safe investment.

Comment

Just another reason I design systems around using plain old H2O, less maintenance, lower cost, higher efficiencies.
                    I won't use glycol unless I absolutely have to. I don't care who makes it, it's all crap to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
                      Just another reason I design systems around using plain old H2O, less maintenance, lower cost, higher efficiencies.
                      I won't use glycol unless I absolutely have to. I don't care who makes it, it's all crap to me.
                      I design drain back systems too but they don't work everywhere.

Comment

The Biggest Installer of Evac Tubes Worldwide has Ditched Glycol

The actually use water for the collector loop, and just rely on recirculation freeze protection.

http://www.linuo-ritter-usa.com/prod...ms/technology/

They currently can't get OG-300 certification because recirc. is deemed too unreliable in the US. (Apparently the European grid NEVER has blackouts)

Food for thought - -

They install Millions of tubes per year, so you can't just say oh, they are making a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Art VanDelay View Post
                          The actually use water for the collector loop, and just rely on recirculation freeze protection.

http://www.linuo-ritter-usa.com/prod...ms/technology/

They currently can't get OG-300 certification because recirc. is deemed too unreliable in the US. (Apparently the European grid NEVER has blackouts)

Food for thought - -

They install Millions of tubes per year, so you can't just say oh, they are making a mistake.
                          Yes, I have seen them years ago. I have one apartment building job with 18 of the 4.5m2 panels and SS tubing and a water treatment plant with 27 panels, and I think it is the best of the Chinese vacuum tubes, but it is still a vacuum tube and therefor it will have higher maintenance.

I haven't used any of the controls using pure water yet but it seems to work well enough.

Comment

I've had my unit installed for 5+ years now and it still works awesome. April- Nov 1st I can actually turn off my Water Heater @ the breaker and only use solar. Thanks to all who were so gracious with their help. -Andrew

Comment

Working...
                            X