My fat cable dilemma!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fat cable dilemma!!

Hello all i am new to the forum and im seeking some advice on some cable related issues on a solar setup im in the process of installing on me & my girlfriends off-grid housetruck. So without futher a do i

Originally posted by HoFFdOg View Post
    Using the panels in series would certainly be easier with the higher voltage. However my only hesistation to go with this (aside from commiting to the pricey MPPTs) is from my understanding that wiring up your panels in Parallel has a distinct advantage over Series connections. A solar array in Parallel adds the power output (watts) together whereas Series only adds the volts; thus parallel solar arrays chuck more power faster down the cable into you batteries than series. If this is false, then i will almost certainly go for the ease of the series connections.
    Watts is NOT the same as AMPS.
    3ea, 200W panels produce 600W, either in series, or parallel

Parallel adds AMPS
    Series adds VOLTAGE

An MPPT charger converts the high voltage, lo amps, to low voltage, hi amps. Looses a
    few watts in the process, but virtually guarantees you run at the max power point of the panels.
    Beware the open circuit voltage of the array on a cold morning, before the panels heat up, too high of voltage will cook the input of the MPPT charger.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
    X