X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ian S View Post
    Exactly! The fuels will go to whomever will pay the most for them. That's the beauty of Keystone: tar sands refined products will get world pricing instead of depressed Midwest pricing.
    Which is both its strength and its weakness.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcroe View Post
      Yes the indifference of the masses, coupled with greed by those in power, got us here. Its not so
      easy to just "use less" etc, without going back to tents & caves. Those early people had a hard
      life, and not a very long & healthy one.

The shortage of propane was claimed caused by a shortage of pipelines, which had been changed
      (with no alternate plan) over to the natural gas we were desperately exporting to keep prices high.
      I am not accepting the present "market" or "business" excuses as justified, though they might be
      legal. There need to be more demanders and fewer sheeple before anything improves; meantime
      I have stopped buying propane & electricity, I have done a lot of other stuff. Still working on the
      gasoline problem. Bruce Roe
      Use less does not mean use nothing as the first paragraph above may imply. I think I've noticed a general trend to enable lazy thinking by reducing as many things as possible to a dichotomous all or nothing ways of thinking. Maybe a result of the general dumbing of America, which seems to be spreading to pandemic levels. Sort of like the Bevis & Butthead outlook that everything is either cool or it sucks - easier than trying to think something through. Another example - someone once said, that to him, conservation meant being hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There's not a lot I can do with that statement. I've suggested that a better way to look at that might be spending as little as possible to attain a desired comfort level. There are a lot of lifestyles that fall between subsistence and mc mansions.

As a practical matter, whether business practices are ethical, moral or justifiable doesn't matter. Business is what it is. As You and some others have done, myself included to some small extent, not liking the way the game is run, we've drawn back and reduced contact with the system. That's our choice. However, trying to keep a perhaps more cosmopolitan and less parochial view of things, I'd guess most folks don't see things the same way we do. I think they are screwing themselves by continually enabling their self induced ignorance, but it ain't my life/money/whatever. FWIW, I think things in theory could be better but I gave up the Don Quixote syndrome of life proscription some time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        FWIW, I think things in theory could be better but I gave up the Don Quixote syndrome of life proscription some time ago.
        Here they have Nas Retin Hoca - he rode his donkey sitting aimed to the back - so he could see where he had been.

I have great trouble understanding the general attitude of the public. For example it is popular to claim the American Dream is dead. My father lived that dream - he worked very hard for a lifetime and retired comfortable. His life on the farm was made up of hard times and long hours - one of his jokes was that he only made about 25 cents per hour but he could work all the hours he wanted.

Myself, I escaped the farm as soon as possible and followed my own dream.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Originally posted by russ View Post
          Here they have Nas Retin Hoca - he rode his donkey sitting aimed to the back - so he could see where he had been.

I have great trouble understanding the general attitude of the public. For example it is popular to claim the American Dream is dead. My father lived that dream - he worked very hard for a lifetime and retired comfortable. His life on the farm was made up of hard times and long hours - one of his jokes was that he only made about 25 cents per hour but he could work all the hours he wanted.

Myself, I escaped the farm as soon as possible and followed my own dream.
          I don't think the American Dream is dead. I think as a nation and a people we're squandering the best opportunities available, by far, anywhere in the world. Most Americans are clueless about how good we have it and are in general wasting a situation folks in other countries can only dream about.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            I don't think the American Dream is dead. I think as a nation and a people we're squandering the best opportunities available, by far, anywhere in the world. Most Americans are clueless about how good we have it and are in general wasting a situation folks in other countries can only dream about.
            The reason many convenience stores and motels are owned by Indians - you work long hours and have a decent life - in India they would have worked more hours for far less. Here is in between - people do with far less but are happy with that.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SCE just applied with the CA Public Utilities Commission for their 2014~ rate increase. The proposed increase including shrinking tier 1 baseline and raising tier 2 to $0.209 and raise tier 3 by eliminating tier 4. The monthly fixed charges might increase from $0.94 to $5 per month.....

Comment

Don't let the conspiracy bug get you!
                Its not bugging ME; I'm much more worried about how it affects others. I have avoided
                a lot of traps that others cannot. But if I say much more, it might get religious. Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian S View Post
                  Exactly! The fuels will go to whomever will pay the most for them. That's the beauty of Keystone: tar sands refined products will get world pricing instead of depressed Midwest pricing.
                  That is true regardless - nonsense. Obummer bravely punted again on Keystone I see.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

That is true regardless - nonsense. Obummer bravely punted again on Keystone I see.
                    Smart move politically. Now no decision until after November.

Comment

• Originally posted by silversaver View Post
                      SCE just applied with the CA Public Utilities Commission for their 2014~ rate increase. The proposed increase including shrinking tier 1 baseline and raising tier 2 to $0.209 and raise tier 3 by eliminating tier 4. The monthly fixed charges might increase from $0.94 to $5 per month.....
                      Do you have a link that describes the changes, like the new proposed baseline numbers etc ?

thanks,
                      -- john

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnInSoCal View Post
                        Do you have a link that describes the changes, like the new proposed baseline numbers etc ?

thanks,
                        -- john
                        The links are in my PC and here is what I can get for you

https://www.sce.com/wps/wcm/connect/...df?MOD=AJPERES

https://www.sce.com/wps/wcm/connect/...df?MOD=AJPERES

Base on those information, it is wise to plan your solar to cover 100% of usage since you can get a larger system at lower price per kW. The price of tier 1 rate will raise.

Comment

awesome thanks. If these rates go into effect my electricity bill would go down significantly in summer. For example my september bill from last year was $872 for 3,585 Kwh, and under the proposed 2 tier system it would drop to $683. So for heavy power users like myself dropping the T4 rate of 30 cents down to 20 cents Kwh makes a big difference. This makes solar less attractive for me as the payback would be longer as my savings / month for solar would not be as high.

Comment

• It does lower your bill if you are super high user, but for most of residents here might be a bad news. I'm not sure if solar owners will face those new base metering fees...

Comment

It does lower your bill if you are super high user, but for most of residents here might be a bad news. I'm not sure if solar owners will face those new base metering fees...
                              Given that most of the reason the base monthly fees were conjured up at all was to offset some of the argument that solar users are freeloading on the system, I'd think solar owners will face the metering fees just like everyone else.

All of the proposed rate restructuring suggested is a result of AB 327. They seem to pretty much follow the mandate of that bill for timelines and the intent of the bill.

There are other rate structures besides residential, but those generally follow the same or similar logic to what's shown. T.O.U. rates may deviate from this a bit w/ periods shifting around some. I'd bet that to be revenue neutral for the near term, but also a reduction for large users.

One or two things to keep in mind: These are proposals from the utility. They need to be subjected to the review/approval/public comment phase before the CPUC. That can be a long process. Contrary to what cynics such as myself think and trying to be objective about it, history has shown that while many rate increases are approved, many of those are granted for less than requested and some (few) are rejected or sent back to the POCO for further review/revision. The other big POCOs - SDG & E and PGE will likely propose rate structure changes and prices similar to these. Still, things are going to change a fair amount.

Solar users can still get on net metering until 2017 OR until the POCO reaches its 5% rate cap. POCO's must file a progress report on that at %age @ reg. intervals. I'd keep an eye on that. As of last month, SDG & E was implementing solar at a rate such that the cap would be reached in about 63 months - far beyond 2017. HOWEVER, if installs pick up, that cap may be reached sooner. SO, thinking you're safe until 2017 to apply for net metering MAY be safe - MAYBE NOT. Keep an eye on it.

Those considering leases: If you are a large user, take some serious time to figure out as best you can what your bills are likely to be under the new tier flattening scenario. If you are a large user, your bills will likely go down, at least for a few years or so. Solar peddlers will probably bank on you thinking the common wisdom and tell you rates always go up (don't they ? - well of course !! DUH !) as a red herring to justify a monthly payment higher than it might be if accurate information were provided. In this case, that may well be B.S. for large users. Caveat Emptor.

Silver : Thanx for the info.

Comment

• btw, SAM has updated current rates from most POCO

Comment

Working...
                                X