Add 2 more panels question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add 2 more panels question

I have a 1.05kw (6 x 175w) system with the 1100 Sunny Boy inverter. Would I damage the inverter if I added another 2 x 180w PV panels to the system? According to Sunny Boy's website, the SB 1100 can burst to 1350w, so would it hurt the SB 1100 if I added another 360 watts of PV capacity?

The only time it would get close to that would be in the middle of the day of course, so I was wondering if the system could handle some more PV capacity, without upgrading the inverter? Yeah I know, I should have got the SB 1700 or the SB 2000. Lesson learned.

Most Grid-Tie inverters, just throttle back when getting too hot, or reaching their power limit.

I'm not too familiar with the SB, I don't know if you are able to monitor & log it's output. I'd be very surprised to see the PV array, when warmed up a bit, putting out full power. I think the rule of thumb, is knock of 20%, except for the 20 minutes the array is actually aligned properly at the sun. (depending on roof angle and orientation). Do you feel Lucky?

What about the voltages, if you series add panels to the string, it's the cold start voltage, as the panels get first good light, and they are cold, the string could over-voltage the inverter.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Yeah, I feel lucky.

I was hoping to sneak another 1 or 2 panels onto that inverter, as we only get close to pushing 1kw in the middle of the day, so either side of that is no worries at all. I've got heaps of room on the north roof of our home for more panels. Am hoping to get another 10 190w panels up there soon.

Comment

Most of the Sunny Boys can handle 500 to 550 Cold morning Voltage. I know that some with the 1,07 setup asked for the 1.7 inverter ant only $500 more that then 1.1Kw
        i have the sunny Beam to monitor whats going on, + the SDC computer program that give me something to play with.
        My system can handle 6 more panels but at $1200 per panel its a not thanks at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Bob View Post
          Yeah, I feel lucky.

I was hoping to sneak another 1 or 2 panels onto that inverter, as we only get close to pushing 1kw in the middle of the day, so either side of that is no worries at all. I've got heaps of room on the north roof of our home for more panels. Am hoping to get another 10 190w panels up there soon.

Looks good the way they are set up.
          Last edited by Blackman; 07-02-2009, 06:31 AM. Reason: typo and dog tired

Comment

Originally posted by Blackman View Post
            . . . i have the sunny Beam to monitor whats going on . . .
            Yeah, I got the sunny monitor too. Handy to see what's happening.

Comment

Looks got like they are Bob
              In English please.

Comment

Sorry mate.
                Very Tired after todays effort, I Suffer a Stroke 4 years ago that nearly put me back to my childhood. I effected me big time for the first 3 years.

Comment

Sorry mate.
                  Very Tired after todays effort, I Suffer a Stroke 4 years ago that nearly put me back to my childhood. I effected me big time for the first 3 years.
                  After today's work you deserve a feet up in your favorite chair and the beverage or three of your choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X