I'm new at this [Sunny Beam Monitor Issue]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new at this [Sunny Beam Monitor Issue]

Hi guys I'm new to all of this soar PV stuff. I'm from Brisbane Australia and for me this is a new toy to play with but like usual new toys sometimes generate problems.

Originally posted by Blackman View Post
    l new toys sometimes generate problems.
    So - describe the problem, we'll either be able to help, or not, maybe.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

yes, I am using an SMA Sunny Boy 2500 inverter with two strings of 170 watt panels, each string has 6 panels and what was happening was the combined voltage of each string was not sufficient enough to fire up the inverter, so what we had to do was series them up on one string which did fire the inverter up, but after looking at the specs, these panels in series on load, 12 of them produce around 410 volts DC which is off the sweet recommended spot for efficiency from the manufacturer as the manufacturer says it is recommended to have around the 330 volt mark per string on load and having around 400 plus only reduces the efficiency of the system. I have been recommended to buy 4 more panels, put two in series per string and this will solve the problem of the inverter not firing up and also will put it close to the window of efficiency.

We also are having a problem with the Sunny Beam monitor. It talks to the inverter correctly and gathers accurately all the data including the inverters serial number, but for some reason the program I am using on the internet which is called Sunny Data Control version 4, or even with the earlier version 3.93 is not working correctly. The SDC program on the computer finds the Sunny Beam monitor and its serial number automatically but does not detect the inverter. Even manually trying to find the inverter, it does not find it, it just comes up with three question marks ??? with the serial number and thats as far as it goes.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated with this Sunny Beam problem.

thanks
      blackman

Comment

Hey blackman,

I'm from Toowoomba, an hour or so north west of you.

Welcome to SPT.

Comment

12 x 170 PV panels and a 2500 SB inverter is a heck of a toy. My kind of toy!

Who installed this system? Did you do the install yourself?

Comment

Well the government paid for the first Kw and I paid for the second Kw. (2k system with a 2500 inverter)
            Eco-Kenitics from the Gold Coast used electrical contractors to install it.
            Personally I would have liked to install it myself but thats no good for warranty even If I am a "A" grade licence holder.
            I' m still talking to Eco Kenitics regarding the purchase of 4 more panels to balance things up a little. More $$$$ to buy.

Comment

Where I live I have spotted 7 new installs in the last month.
              The Biggest is an 18 panel running a SB3000

Comment

Hi blackman,

Welcome to Solar Panel Talk, thanks for joining!

I'm going to move your thread to the "advanced solar discussion" forum in hopes of getting more replies with your problem.

Comment

Thanks mate.

Comment

Another Solar toy of mine.
                    http://www.voiceofoz.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50

(sorry back on topic)
                    Last edited by Blackman; 06-30-2009, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Where I live I have spotted 7 new installs in the last month.
                      The Biggest is an 18 panel running a SB3000
                      I wonder if this kind of momentum will continue with the government's new "Solar Incentives Program" replacing the $8k grant?

I have the standard 1.05kw system now, but will add more panels down the track. The next house I build will be 3kw solar and 2kw wind. I'll get it nailed on the next house.

Comment

I think the government will give up one day. They will run out of money as this solar stuff is too way out expensive.

What do you think is the average cost of a 170 watt, 24 volt panel? I was going to buy more singley but I think I will get a shock and it won't be volts, it will be dollars.

Comment

I think the government will give up one day. They will run out of money as this solar stuff is too way out expensive.
                          Owning your own power does take an investment, but anything worthwhile in life is never easy.
                          What do you think is the average cost of a 170 watt, 24 volt panel?
                          There's an ebay seller selling 180w Chinese panels for AUS$999.00.

That's probably the best pricing I've seen, but whether or not those panels stack up, that's the issue. A LOT of PV panels do come from China these days. I wouldn't not buy a Chinese made PV panel.

Comment

Yep, I agree. I think my panels are around $1200 each oooouch!

Comment

I was going to buy another 4 but $4000 to balance my system is starting to become to expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X