X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColonelWalrus
    • Apr 2012

I need help on a school project.

I'm doing a project on Arizona and its solar powered potential and I need some help with a couple questions.

I want to know, to those who own solar panels, are you "happier" now that you rely on them?

If its not too personal to ask, do you think the long term benefits of relying on solar power have outweighed the high initial cost of installation?

Are there any concerns a someone should know about if they want to switch to solar power?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by ColonelWalrus
    Are there any concerns a someone should know about if they want to switch to solar power?
    cloudy days, night time,birds and hail (texas will be replacing a lot of solar PV after last weeks tornados and hail)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ColonelWalrus
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
      cloudy days, night time,birds and hail (texas will be replacing a lot of solar PV after last weeks tornados and hail)
      Thanks!
      Do you own solar panels yourself?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Do you own solar panels yourself?
        Only about 8KW worth, in earthquake country. see my .sig in earlier post
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ColonelWalrus
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Only about 8KW worth, in earthquake country. see my .sig in earlier post
          Thank you for the input. I take it you believe solar panels are beneficial?

Comment

• billvon
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ColonelWalrus
            I want to know, to those who own solar panels, are you "happier" now that you rely on them?
            Happier? I guess. I don't rely on them (I have a grid intertie system) but I do like that I generate more than I use, so I'm not contributing to power shortages when we have them. But it hasn't changed my life or anything.

If its not too personal to ask, do you think the long term benefits of relying on solar power have outweighed the high initial cost of installation?
            Tangible long term benefits for me are lower power costs and backup power when needed. Intangibles are a feeling of just not contributing to the problems associated with high grid usage during times of high demand.

For example there are a lot of people out here objecting to something called the Sunrise power link, a desert power line intended to bring energy from the El Centro area to San Diego. I'm actually pretty neutral on the topic but there are a lot of people who protest very strenuously that it will damage ecosystems, ruin the deserts etc. If they all got solar power systems that would do far more to prevent the line from going in than all their protests.

It's no magic bullet. It's a good way to reduce your energy bills if you can look at long term (20+ years) investments.

Comment

• ColonelWalrus
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by billvon
              Happier? I guess. I don't rely on them (I have a grid intertie system) but I do like that I generate more than I use, so I'm not contributing to power shortages when we have them. But it hasn't changed my life or anything.

Tangible long term benefits for me are lower power costs and backup power when needed. Intangibles are a feeling of just not contributing to the problems associated with high grid usage during times of high demand.

For example there are a lot of people out here objecting to something called the Sunrise power link, a desert power line intended to bring energy from the El Centro area to San Diego. I'm actually pretty neutral on the topic but there are a lot of people who protest very strenuously that it will damage ecosystems, ruin the deserts etc. If they all got solar power systems that would do far more to prevent the line from going in than all their protests.

It's no magic bullet. It's a good way to reduce your energy bills if you can look at long term (20+ years) investments.
              Thank you so much for the input. It's good to know that solar panels don't immediately lead to easy-Living like some think.

Comment

Working...