Silo Top PV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silo Top PV?

Any of you installers ever consider (or achieve) a PV array installation atop a topless concrete silo? Any and all thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    Kris

If there is a way to attach mounting rails, and then to attach the PV to the mounts, it should be just fine. PV's don't really care what's under them. The Silo contents may care, if it's explosive grain dust or something, you can't just string wires up, still should have permits, inspection.

When PV's aren't parallel to a roof, you have to watch for wind getting under them,
    like a big sail, you don't want $20,000.00 worth of glass to break loose in wind, and go blowing all over the countryside
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Silo PV

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that i am a NABCEP certified installer that has been in the biz for 7 years.

What i was looking for was if anyone has already done this type of install and if they would be able to supply their design specs, tips, tricks, etc.

Kris

Comment

Sorry for the off-topic post Kris, but was that NABCEP certification hard to come by? Did it help you a lot in your business? I was just looking at your website, very cool..

Andre

Comment

Andre,

NABCEP certification (or active pursuance of) is required for the state funding program in Wisconsin, so it is invaluable to my business. The test is very difficult and has been failed by many unsuspecting electricians. I studied for a month and did pretty well. Historically, one problem with the solar industry has been that there are many organizations out there claiming to train and certify solar professionals...some good and some not so. NABCEP is developing a good reputation as the industry standard.

Kris

Comment

Working...
          X