Inverter(s) tripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter(s) tripping

Anyone have a problem with inverters tripping from over-voltage when on Equalize charge or with fast moving cloud?

I made a cheap ($18) fix for this annoyance which works perfectly.
    1.6Kw of PV, Outback FM80 controller, 40A PWM cheap Chinese controller, 12V 1000 AH of Trojan T105RE batteries, 2.5Kw Aims MSW inverter and 400W TSW inverter.

I will respect other peoples threads and try to stay ON TOPIC. Equally if I start a thread, and in order to keep forum friction to a minimum, only constructive ON TOPIC responses will be answered. Should I still don't reply: It is likely I have blocked you. for being B.A.D. (Belligerent And Derisive)

Do tell.
    Enough suspense already.

Comment

Excuse me?
      1.6Kw of PV, Outback FM80 controller, 40A PWM cheap Chinese controller, 12V 1000 AH of Trojan T105RE batteries, 2.5Kw Aims MSW inverter and 400W TSW inverter.

I will respect other peoples threads and try to stay ON TOPIC. Equally if I start a thread, and in order to keep forum friction to a minimum, only constructive ON TOPIC responses will be answered. Should I still don't reply: It is likely I have blocked you. for being B.A.D. (Belligerent And Derisive)

Comment

Inquiring minds wish to know.
        Until they do, it's all jammed packed with suspense about how you did it.
        Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Comment

Well I am new here and don't want to waste my time typing so I will await to see if someone has this problem rather than rhetoric. I am new here but not to PV and wish to help, I am not subservient.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
            I look forward to when you feel like sharing, and have the time to type.
            Please forgive my curiosity, it was not my intention to offend nor make you feel subservient.

Comment

Anyone have a problem with inverters tripping from over-voltage when on Equalize charge or with fast moving cloud?

Comment

Britishpete how does fast moving cloud cause overvoltage? I dont have problems from overvoltage as I set the charge controller at a max of 15v and that seems to keep ant inverters (12v) happy. But interested in your fix if the problemoccurs.

Comment

Originally posted by john p View Post
                  Britishpete how does fast moving cloud cause overvoltage? I dont have problems from overvoltage as I set the charge controller at a max of 15v and that seems to keep ant inverters (12v) happy. But interested in your fix if the problemoccurs.
                  Normally it is fine but when a charge controller changes to ABSORB the current also soon dimishes. When fast moving cloud changes MPPT voltage from say 14V to 14.8V at reduced charging current it will often overshoot for a fraction of a second. My Flexmax 80A (Australian) controller frequently records 16V and in this situation enough to trip all 3 of my inverters. Also 15.5V is required (for most flooded battery banks) to equalize. this will trip just about any inverter.

There is a simple fix (thanks for asking) Installing a Silicon diode between the battery bank and the inverter(s) will drop the voltage at the inverter(s) by 0.7V. Hence 15.5V now equals 14.8V irrespective of current draw (it's not a resistor) This is true of ALL silicon diodes, just get one large enough to handle your inverter loads.

I am using a 1N1055 diode good for 260 amps with the correct heat sink. I can quickly (switch) bypass it when not needing to equalize, or not near Absorb voltage on a cloudy day and thus save about 0.7/14 = 5% on efficiency. So normally I do have it bypassed but need it in circuit often too

I use my heavy copper (negative) bus as the heat sink for this diode too. It just bolts directly on to it then just the other wire to the inverter(s).

My diode cost me $18 from Ebay.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Thanks, and this does not affect battery charge time etc, as the diode output goes ONLY to the inverter(s). I find that if I only use the ABSORB voltage of 14.8V recommended then there is not enough sunlight hours in the day to get more than an 85% charge so once a week I Equalize to about 95-100%. This seems perfect because in 2 months on new batteries (8 equalize cycles) my fluid level has only dropped from 1.5" to 1".

Comment

Ahhh Very clever. Just a diode and a bypass for it. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

There is a simple fix (thanks for asking) Installing a Silicon diode between the battery bank and the inverter(s) will drop the voltage at the inverter(s) by 0.7V. Hence 15.5V now equals 14.8V irrespective of current draw (it's not a resistor) This is true of ALL silicon diodes, just get one large enough to handle your inverter loads.

I am using a 1N1055 diode good for 260 amps with the correct heat sink. I can quickly (switch) bypass it when not needing to equalize, or not near Absorb voltage on a cloudy day and thus save about 0.7/14 = 5% on efficiency. So normally I do have it bypassed but need it in circuit often too

I use my heavy copper (negative) bus as the heat sink for this diode too. It just bolts directly on to it then just the other wire to the inverter(s).
                        That half volt may make my system happier, I'm charging the NiFe's at 67V, and sometimes, my inverter logs an over-voltage error of 68V, while in absorb. I don't EQ.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

In your case you could put two in series for a reduction of 1.4V and your eff.loss would only be 1.4/67 = 2%

Comment

A 12 volt battery inverter should work with an input voltage of 10.5 to 16 volts. If it doesn't get it fixed or replaced. Sure adding a diode is a work around, but if that is say a 1000 watt inverter and actually delivering 1000 watts to a load you are burning up 60 watts on the diode. That is one huge expensive diode.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Whatever with the "should s" THREE inverters do the same AND most inverters are good to only 15.5V sometimes 15V

I really think it best I ignore your posts in future.

Comment

Working...
                              X