X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sanandal
    • Feb 2012

Solar energy measurement

Hi

I am a newbie and I have a basic question. When it is mentioned "1 MW" plant, what does it mean? Does it mean the plant generates 1MW of electricity every hour? In that case, what happens in the evenings when Solar is not active? Can someone clear my doubt on how it is measured? Also, what is the conversion on units from KWh?

Thanks
    Srikanth
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

All 1 Mw or mega watt means is it can produce as much as 1 Mw at a moment in time under ideal conditions. Watt Hours = Watt x Hours.

Now a 1 MW solar panel cannot match a 1 MW generator. At best a 1 Mw solar power station can only generate around 3 to 6 Mwh in a 24 hour period. A conventional 1 Mw generate can generate 24 Mwh/day.

When the sun don't shine there is no power from a solar PV panel.

The difference between a Kwh and Mwh is a factor of 1000. It is scientific notation to express large or very small numbers

K = 1000 = 10 to the 3rd power
    M = 1,000,000 = 10 to the 6th power
    G = 1,000,000,000 = 10 to the 9th power

So let's take a number 1.2 Mw:

1.2 Mw = 1,200 Kw = 1,200,000 watts
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

One thing the same for both standard generators and solar PV - the watt rating (kW or mW rating) for the plant is the name plate rating on the generator/panels - it is not what the plant is necessarily producing at a given moment.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• kevincareer
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
        All 1 Mw or mega watt means is it can produce as much as 1 Mw at a moment in time under ideal conditions. Watt Hours = Watt x Hours.

Now a 1 MW solar panel cannot match a 1 MW generator. At best a 1 Mw solar power station can only generate around 3 to 6 Mwh in a 24 hour period. A conventional 1 Mw generate can generate 24 Mwh/day.

When the sun don't shine there is no power from a solar PV panel.

The difference between a Kwh and Mwh is a factor of 1000. It is scientific notation to express large or very small numbers

K = 1000 = 10 to the 3rd power
        M = 1,000,000 = 10 to the 6th power
        G = 1,000,000,000 = 10 to the 9th power

So let's take a number 1.2 Mw:

1.2 Mw = 1,200 Kw = 1,200,000 watts
        Can't be more clear!
        Suntech--Madico

Comment

• johnfred01
          • Jul 2012

Solar Panels Leicester

Hello friends i am new here and i want to get more information about Solar Power. So that i joint this forum thanks to sharing your post it's very informative for me.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by cheekygirl
            It will take several years to set up a full manufacturing plant for this type of operation. Between licences,marketing,and robot machinery,if it is not a fraud. We will have to have patience. We still have no proof it is viable. The only way to speed up production is to farm out contracts to other engineering firms,as do the government for military design.
            If this is leading up to an attempt at advertising I suggest you don't do it - it will cause you to be banned.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Originally posted by jerry1shah
              I think solar energy can be measured in watts.
              Nope.
              (Solar) power is measured in watts. (Solar) energy is measured in watt-hours.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...