Small system to power freezer and refridgerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bala View Post
    All the chest freezer i have seen do not have any specific way to dissipate heat, My chest freezer dissipates heat from the cabinet walls so this would not work,
    I have never seen one like that Most here will have a static coil on the back or a fan unit. But then I haven't looked carefully at one in a long time.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

In Australia fridges have coils on the back but freezers not.

Comment

From what I read you do not need solar. Be realistic, and set obtainable goals?

How many days of backup do you really need?

1, 2, 3, 4... What?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Mosr of the chest freezers I have seen (Kenmore included) will cool through the front wall, so adding insulation there will not decrease, but increase you power consumption. What you CAN do, is get a sheet of the foil covered insulating from like mentioned above, and put in on the lid. The lid is the least insulated part of most freezers, and they do not dissipate heat through it. Also, this will help if you have your unit near a window, where it will be in the sun.

You may also want to check into converting a chest freezer into a fridge, and throw out you stand up unit. I recently put a fridge and freezer of solar, and ended up converting a chest freezer to a fridge to replace my stand-up. My stand up was taking about 3.2Kwh per day. My chest fridge, (which is bigger) takes about .5Kwh per day. Definantly enough diffrence to be worth it. Not all your dearly paid for cold air falls out of your fridge every time you open it for a drink... Also, the wieght of the lid helps keep a tight seal, and as a basic rule, freezers will always have much better insulation than fridges.

Comment

None

Originally posted by russ View Post
            Trying to prepare for the end of the world as we know it makes no sense. Where are you going to get the things to put in the fridge? Where to buy medicines too many have to have to live?

If people spent more time worrying about how to get ahead we would all be better off.
            You would Grow it, and Slaughter it!

Comment

Originally posted by Martshmoo View Post
              You would Grow it, and Slaughter it!
              Right - Those type are always a bit funny to read about.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Then you'd find our house an absolute riot, Russ....
                Last edited by TnAndy; 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM. Reason: pics removed

Comment

Now you are not talking about the 1% but the .01%.

Be prepared for lots of company if such a thing ever happens - you will find relatives and friends that you can't remember - thousands of them!

Beautiful place!

How would I define ahead? No debts and a decent balance, comfortable retirement with the slow life of a village (where I live) and the city (35 km away).

I spent many years in dumps around the world working on projects - now is my time to enjoy!
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Be prepared for lots of company if such a thing ever happens - you will find relatives and friends that you can't remember - thousands of them!

Beautiful place!
                    Yeah....
                    Last edited by TnAndy; 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: pics removed

Comment

TnAndy... awesome place... breathtaking buddy...

all it takes is imagination imo... i'm humbled from what you have done on your home. sustainability to the nth degree ... the only thing missing from your place is a name maybe "Tangani-lah"

Comment

Originally posted by s.xavier View Post
                        all it takes is imagination imo...

Well, yeah, that and 30 years of working your fingers to the bone with the goal of "the next guy won't have NEAR as much to do"...........ahahahahaaaaaa......

Comment

Now you are not talking about the 1% but the .01%.

Beautiful place!

How would I define ahead? No debts and a decent balance, comfortable retirement with the slow life of a village (where I live) and the city (35 km away).

I spent many years in dumps around the world working on projects - now is my time to enjoy!
                          Man, I could of wrote this!

LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X