Tool for Tabbing, Testing 3 In 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool for Tabbing, Testing 3 In 1

I am just begun to learn DIY solar panel. I have not started yet however, I have constructed nice multipurpose tool from junk materials.
    This can be used for,
    1] Tabbing single cells
    2] tabbing two cells together
    3] testing cells

I used piece of MDF board and small pieces of wood strips to make this. I glued ( used wood glue) small pieces of wood strips to board leaving
    spaces for tabbing line. later painted with wood filler to make MDF bit stronger( it not necessary for all woods) . once dried , took aluminum foil
    to make conductive layer. I think copper plate ( like CCB or thine copper foil ) is better choice but I used readily available material and just worked fine.
    Spread aluminum foil using cello tape. I made it for 6'' x 6'' cells, you can construct it according to your cells size.
    Attached couple of pics ,hope this would be helpful

DSCF1934.JPGDSCF1935.JPGDSCF1937.JPGDSCF1938.JPG

Very interesting. I am trying to do a similar thing.

Comment

Originally posted by koti View Post
      I am just begun to learn DIY solar panel. I have not started yet however, I have constructed nice multipurpose tool from junk materials.
      This can be used for,
      1] Tabbing single cells
      2] tabbing two cells together
      3] testing cells

I used piece of MDF board and small pieces of wood strips to make this. I glued ( used wood glue) small pieces of wood strips to board leaving
      spaces for tabbing line. later painted with wood filler to make MDF bit stronger( it not necessary for all woods) . once dried , took aluminum foil
      to make conductive layer. I think copper plate ( like CCB or thine copper foil ) is better choice but I used readily available material and just worked fine.
      Spread aluminum foil using cello tape. I made it for 6'' x 6'' cells, you can construct it according to your cells size.
      Attached couple of pics ,hope this would be helpful

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1683[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1684[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1685[/ATTACH]
      looks good! I will post a pic soon on my MDF cell stringer to solder the cells together.

Comment

Link removed this is what im looking for...just posted a thred befroe i saw this... they make production trays like this i cant find them thought...thinking about having them made. by a mold company or something

Mod note - Cheaper than commercially available?
        Last edited by russ; 09-30-2013, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Brilliant idea

Brilliant idea for testing but for tabbing the cells are in the wrong way

Comment

I used a similar idea for building my panel, although mine was long enough for 6 cells, basically a plank of (as flat & straight as possible) wood with one side nailed on.
            If you do make one, try to find an untreated plank, pulling the cells off a painted plank was a bit scary.
            Dem

Comment

i cant seem to view the images, I need to post something

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin View Post
                i cant seem to view the images, I need to post something
                You might consider starting out in the New Members Introduction topic instead of bumping a dead thread with your first post....
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Very neat, I think you are testing for cell voltage? But about any cell can generate an unloaded voltage.
                    To find out if cell can deliver power, you need to see how much current it can deliver to a serious load,
                    with a pretty intense light source. Something like this. Bruce Roe
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tool for Tabbing Testing 3 In 1

I use a lot of .040 .050 ,065 6al4v. Been a while, but the last I bought was around 10 for a 12x12 sheet.What do you have in these thicknesses or close? Sheet size and price...

Comment

Working...
                      X