Enter Zipcode

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you solder 6X6, three tabbed cells @ the end ?

Solar Fanatic

It is rated at 0.5 volts,around o.55 open circuit voltage. Even without tab wires, you should be able to measure the voltage. Poke tester leads directly where the tab should go(red on the bottom, black on top) You dont have to connect all the tabs to get a reading. One on top and one on bottom is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by _madtrapper View Post
    Right now I cannot even manage to get one cell to pump out the proper Voltage (4.1v) !! ...
    Regardless of size, a single wafer/cell will only produce 0.5V That's why it takes 36 of them in series to have enough voltage to recharge a 12V battery.

Amps depend on the amount of (intensity) light shining on them.

What sort of spec sheet acompanied the cells ?

Solar Fanatic

Madtrappers problem seems to start from what appears to be tha fact.NO information came with the cells.
    Flea Bay specials?? 3rd rate,and way below spec.?

The usual type of cell DIYs use to make substandard ,short lived panels.

Default 3 Tabbed cells

I can see why the third tab is baffling you but it is buss tabbed the same as single or double tabbed cells. The front of the cell is negative and the back is positive. Connect your cells to the string size you need pos to neg for each cell. To connect 2 strings to a buss tab solder all 3 tab wires of the neg to the buss then connect all 3 pos tab wires in the next string to the buss. Heres a diagram I made. See if it makes sense now. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry madtrapper I see you only want to connect 2 cells. Tab first cell on front side for neg.and leave extra at top to connect to a buss tab. Tab the secnd cell on back pos side and leave extra tabing to connect to a bus tab . tab all three to the bus tab at neg and pos. Those are your plus and minus connections

that's the same cell i want to import last i check china sources cause it's new product line.

4w 6x6 mono, i think it's around 5$ a piece....

my supplier told me last time it's no different from the 2tab connection

Default Buying cells

I managed to get these cells @ $1 A Cell from a local panel maker(in the box). The are rated 4.1v. Tabbing all three of the (+) together & all three of the (-) together is only giving me .5v. Understood it's going to be less indoors but NOT over three volts worth !!

Quote Originally Posted by Panjong View Post
    that's the same cell i want to import last i check china sources cause it's new product line.

4w 6x6 mono, i think it's around 5$ a piece....

my supplier told me last time it's no different from the 2tab connection

Solar Fanatic

You are never going to get 4.1 volts on a single cell whether indoor or outdoor. You could get 0.6v open circuit in full sun if you are lucky. Voltage wouldn't change much in different sunlight conditions. It's the current that's changing. There must be a typing error, you are seeing maybe 4._ watts(0.5v, 8a) per cell. You need to do a lot of research and reading to be able to make a solar panel.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by _madtrapper View Post
    I managed to get these cells @ $1 A Cell from a local panel maker(in the box). The are rated 4.1v. Tabbing all three of the (+) together & all three of the (-) together is only giving me .5v. Understood it's going to be less indoors but NOT over three volts worth !!
    I think they are quoting or referring to VA or watts not voltage.
    Rich
    WWW.solarsaves.net

NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

www.gaisma.com

Part of the problem I have figuring things out is that each cell has a + & -. Ergo 2+ & 2 -. When you attach the top to the bottom of the next you have more + than -.

OK. IF you go from the bottom of the 1st cell to the top of the second cell, what/how do you connect the top (-) of 1st to the bottom(+) of 2nd cell?
    WHAT'S wrong with my diagram (crude but should get the point across).

What's wrong in the attachment ??

Thanks in advance guy(s) for yer help.
    (I HATE BRAIN FARTS !!!!)

P.S.
    Axis; the voltage was hand written, which makes me think that, what I was told was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by axis11 View Post
    You are never going to get 4.1 volts on a single cell whether indoor or outdoor. You could get 0.6v open circuit in full sun if you are lucky. Voltage wouldn't change much in different sunlight conditions. It's the current that's changing. There must be a typing error, you are seeing maybe 4._ watts(0.5v, 8a) per cell. You need to do a lot of research and reading to be able to make a solar panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images