Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How solar PV projects can earn carbon credits?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How solar PV projects can earn carbon credits?

I am a blogger and many times I received emails asking for the information about how the solar PV projects can earn carbon credits? I've wrote a blog post on the same topic. You can access it here http://greencleanguide.com/2011/12/0...arbon-credits/ .

I thought, it might be useful to someone.

I totally disagree with the carbon credit scheme - nothing more than a cow giving free milk for third world countries while making zero difference in carbon output.

I worked with these schemes and am full aware how they are misused and how simple it is to do so.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
      I totally disagree with the carbon credit scheme - nothing more than a cow giving free milk for third world countries while making zero difference in carbon output.

I worked with these schemes and am full aware how they are misused and how simple it is to do so.

Russ
      Thanks for replying Russ. Yeah, it is true in some extent and many times people consider it as a cash cow. I personally believe, the market based mechanism like CDM/VCS are intentionally well structured but people forgot its main motive of sustainable development.

RE projects especially solar PV power plants need money as they are very costly for the establishment and carbon credit revenue can definitely help these project developer to bear the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by pranshail View Post
        ... RE projects especially solar PV power plants need money as they are very costly for the establishment and carbon credit revenue can definitely help these project developer to bear the cost.
        Why can't they get their money, the way companies and investors got funding the last 300 years? Why do you need MY $ ? I've already paid for MY solar, and nobody helped me with it !
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by pranshail View Post
          Thanks for replying Russ. Yeah, it is true in some extent and many times people consider it as a cash cow. I personally believe, the market based mechanism like CDM/VCS are intentionally well structured but people forgot its main motive of sustainable development.

RE projects especially solar PV power plants need money as they are very costly for the establishment and carbon credit revenue can definitely help these project developer to bear the cost.
          There are four different cases that come to mind -

1) The project was going to be built anyway - this is only 'icing on the cake'
          2) The project is a loser and needs free money to make it work (a description of solar PV at many locations today)
          3) The developers have no real plan or idea what the project will cost or produce but need cash flow for their salaries
          4) The entire thing is a scam supported by corrupt government officials that will sign anything for a dollar or two

Sustainable development is development that makes financial sense without gimmicks.

Carbon credits are only something started, in Europe in particular, to allow everyone to continue with business as usual while telling everyone how wonderful they are.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
            There are four different cases that come to mind -

1) The project was going to be built anyway - this is only 'icing on the cake'
            2) The project is a loser and needs free money to make it work (a description of solar PV at many locations today)
            3) The developers have no real plan or idea what the project will cost or produce but need cash flow for their salaries
            4) The entire thing is a scam supported by corrupt government officials that will sign anything for a dollar or two

Sustainable development is development that makes financial sense without gimmicks.

Carbon credits are only something started, in Europe in particular, to allow everyone to continue with business as usual while telling everyone how wonderful they are.
            Yes you are right, that the several projects are practically not additional in terms of available carbon credits scheme and there is no need of carbon revenue if we analyzed well. But still I think these market based mechanism are well structured and believe that it can work well if implement properly and with good intention (I understand, there is no 'Good intention' word works in financial terms but still there are few project developers who do responsible investment).

There are always pros and cons of each initiative. Time and proper policy management are the key factors affecting it. I think good things need time to get evolved and if that things are really bad then it get out of the cycle as time passes (as nature itself select the best one to survive)
            Last edited by russ; 12-04-2011, 01:20 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

Working...
            X