Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panels increase house prices.

Hi,
    Just to let you know having solar installed on your property can increase property price by 8.6%. Had some installed on my property by Evlec uk Cardiff South Wales. there website is http://evelcuk.co.uk

You mean you tax base jumped that much?

Any increase in home value is a point open to question - some times yes and sometimes no.

The link didn't work for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Do solar systems increase property values?

Yes they do, but in all but about 3 states in the USA you only get about a 30% gain. That means you spent $10K, you only increase the property value $3K. In a few states like TEXAS it has 0% and in some locations lowers your property value.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Yes they do, but in all but about 3 states in the USA you only get about a 30% gain. That means you spent $10K, you only increase the property value $3K. In a few states like TEXAS it has 0% and in some locations lowers your property value.
        Which are the three states
        Cali
        NJ
        Mass?
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
          Which are the three states
          Cali
          NJ
          Mass?
          I was thinking CA, AZ, and WS. Forgot about the northeast areas. like NJ where they give systems away.

The poin tI am making is do not assume you will ever get any equity out of a system. Right now there are folks trying to sell homes with solar systems having to right checks at closing to pay off those loans they received to pay for the systems. Buyers do not see them as assets, and it completely depends on the market.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

well, it's an education issue. The raw value of the panels and rack, should hold at 100% for at least 10 years. Labor is a no-go. The value of the inverter, say 50%. Solar PV, properly installed is nearly zero maintainance! (just a pre-dawn garden hose rinse down)

When I sold my house several years ago, I got 100% of the install price. It was actually a "feature" that sold the house to another engineer who understood it. And a verified working system with a $5 electric bill.... priceless.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              When I sold my house several years ago, I got 100% of the install price. It was actually a "feature" that sold the house to another engineer who understood it. And a verified working system with a $5 electric bill.... priceless.
              I assume that home was in California?
              MSEE, PE

Comment

I assume that home was in California?
                Yes, in California. The only consession at the time was the added PV gear did not add to the property tax.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I was thinking CA, AZ, and WS. Forgot about the northeast areas. like NJ where they give systems away.

Hi sunking, I saw your post "I was thinking CA, AZ, and WS. Forgot about the northeast areas. like NJ where they give systems away."

What did you mean by that? Curious.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by poconoman View Post
                    What did you mean by that? Curious.
                    States like NJ your neighbors are forced to pay most of the cost like they do in CA, AZ, & WS
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

But there is big advantage for installing solar panels in your home that you can save on your electricity bill.
                      Last edited by russ; 09-03-2011, 06:04 AM. Reason: removed link
                      [B][URL="http://www.ferreroelectricalandsolar.com"]Solar Panels[/URL][/B] | [B][URL="http://www.ferreroelectricalandsolar.com/products_inverters.html"]Inverters[/URL][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by mark147 View Post
                        But there is big advantage for installing solar panels in your home that you can save on your electricity bill.
                        You are joking right? Here in TX it will cost you roughly 3 times more for the life of the system.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Studies Show that Solar Panels Increase the Value of Your Home

With values of homes falling throughout the country, homeowners are necessarily concerned about how much of their upfront investment they will see back if they install a solar energy system on their home. We posed this question in a blog entry under the title Do Home Solar Panels Add to the Value of Your Home earlier this year. When we asked that question, we were not certain about the answer and the studies that were then available were somewhat outdated. So we took a sample of homes in one market, in Arizona, to see whether we could come up with a more rigorous answer. We were able to come up with some very interesting data that showed that solar panels add to the value of your home. At about the same time that our study appeared, a very significant effort from the National Bureau of Economic Research was published. We surveyed the relevant three studies and their various approaches in an article about how solar panels increase the value of your home, and summarized the results from our study. As reflected in that article, the short answer is that a PV system will increase the value of your home, you will probably get back most if not all of your investment, but the actual amount that you can expect to recover differs based on the methodology of the study that you choose to follow.

Comment

Keith it really depends on the Market. Choosing AZ to base the study is heavily biased because between the federal, state, and local POCO incentives pay for more than 60% of the cost of installation.

States in which electricity is inexpensive like here in TX, adding a solar system only nets you 30% of the installed value, so you loose 70% of your money before the switch is turned on with respect to property value. If you use a loan, the quite a bit more, and most likely you end up writing a check to sell your home because you would be upside down at closing to pay off the loan.

It is just not TX, in any state that is a net energy producer with inexpensive electric rates with no state or local incentives, and there are a lot of them... A good model in TX if you pay the POCO $100 per month and switch to solar with a loan, you now pay $300/month for 10 years loan payment, and $30/month to the POCO for connect and distribution charges plus any power you might buy. In TX there is no NET METERING Laws and the POCO only pays you wholesale prices of $.05/Kwh and charge $.10/Kwh for what you use in most cases.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

People renovate their homes for two reasons: to make the home easier to sell or to improve their own comfort. In either case, it’s a good idea to get an appraiser’s idea of what the projected impact of the renovation will be on the home value. The home’s final value can influence insurance premiums and mortgage payments. If the point of the remodel is to increase the home’s value, an appraiser can help you figure out how much of what you spend will be recouped when you sell. Of course, one should understand investment and return, how to prioritize projects, and invest in expert opinion. Home appraisers don’t come free, with fees ranging from $500 to $1000, but their advice can be priceless. Some real estate agents are also appraisers, however, and they may offer the service free of charge as long as you give them your business when you sell. Learn more about raising the value of your homes [Mod.: Removed link.]
                              Mod note - I don't know your aim but links and ads are not allowed.
                              Last edited by russ; 08-28-2013, 05:58 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

Working...
                              X