Enter Zipcode

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: help connecting inverter to batteries

Default help connecting inverter to batteries

We have an already insteady installed sollar system which the use of WS-C2430 20A Solar Charge Controller already. Meanwhile, the engineers installed it without an Inverter so we have limited load. Now, we just bought a 2000 watt inverter which we want to join to it so it can carry our computers. please how do i go about thw conectivity?

Quote Originally Posted by xlaxtee View Post
    We have an already insteady installed sollar system which the use of WS-C2430 20A Solar Charge Controller already. Meanwhile, the engineers installed it without an Inverter so we have limited load. Now, we just bought a 2000 watt inverter which we want to join to it so it can carry our computers. please how do i go about thw conectivity?
    Start with the manual for the inverter. It should say what size cables and fuse to use with it. These generally connect directly to the battery terminals, so that you have the least resistance.
    note: I have no idea if the gear you bought, is suitable for the gear you already have. You are on your own.

bump

Solar Fanatic

What is ment by"we have limited load"?
    EVERY inverter comes with a manual. but it is pretty obvious that you will be connecting the red terminal on the inverter to the battery and the black terminal to the black terminal on the battery.. there is not to many other ways to connect it. As its a 2000w inverter you wil need at least #2 cables with good well crimped solid lugs. Use the shortest cable that is practical,,, reduced losses.

Solar Fanatic

Default connecting inverter

I have three 12v agm battteries connected in parallel do i connect my inverter cable clamps on opposite ends on the bank?
    ie positive on battery 1 and negative on battery 3 ?
    Thanks for your h3lp!

Administrator

yes and the charging circuit also
    Rich
    WWW.solarsaves.net

NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

www.gaisma.com

this link has the answers you seek.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html (connect batteries on diagonal )

2 batteries in parallel is OK. add more, and it gets more complex.

Solar Fanatic

thanks for the help! great quick responses!
    I just picked up three new upg thirty five ah 12 v batteries and wham! the power went out! what a great gift to my wife ( who is a tele worker and works at home) when i was able to get her back online without interruption. Any suggestions for interconnect cables? my research tells me to play it safe and go with awg 2 is that correct? i have a total or 105 ah going to a power bright 1100 watt inverter.
    u mentioned that i should put my deltran battery tender jr charger on the same connect point as my inverter is this also true for my new thirty amp charge controller( building solar panels as we text) this seem like a few too many items for one terminal pls advise
    Thanks again for your help n patience i know working with newbies can be a challenge!

4 gague is probably adequate but 2 gague will reduce resistence so you have less loss in the cable. Too big of a cable should not be an issue. too small would be.

I just purchased a 1500 W Inverter/transferswitch/charger combo unit to automatically support a sump pump. The supplier recommended 4 gague 36" long cables to the battery. I I needed them longer than that I probably would have gone to 2 gague.

Solar Fanatic

[I] went with 2/0 wire for my interconnects and awg 2 for my inverter wire with ring terminals to replace the clamps im only i have only 105
    amp hours of battery and the inverter is only going to throw out 250-400 watts max but i wanted to give my self some room to grow also.
    did i over do it with the wires or is it a case that
    you cant go too big??
    thanks!