Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KSFMPO
    • Jun 2011

sytem quote advice on a sytem in new jersey

I'm in NJ and would like the groups opinion on a quote for the following systems

system one
    $46K for 48 enphase m215 micro-inverters and 48 Solar One 225 panel 10.8kw

system 2
    $50.6K for 42 enphase m215 micro-inverters and 42 rec240PE panels 10.08 kw

sytem 3

$52.9K for 49 enphase m215 micro-inverters and 49 suntech 225-20/Wd, 11.025 kw

the site does have shading issues, and the quote includes all permits and a system monitor etc.

which one is the best?
  • Solar-dude
    • Jul 2011

permits might be $200 to $300 max
    monitoring is free, so that's not much to brag about.

first one is a 10.8kw system for 4
    $4.25 per watt installed which is a good price

of course if you are going to pay double the price for enpase inverters In my opinion you might as well install it yourself and save thousands.
    Enphase system is $1.25 per watt in materials
    panels themselves are around $1.50 a watt
    roof racking add $.20 a watt
    Total around $3 a watt.

cost you are paying installers for labor and expertise is $12,500
    you could probably get an electrician to wire up the final wires to your box for around $500 to $1000

estimated time 3 days of work

and you only need basic tools, wrenches, screwdrivers, ladder, hammer screws, etc.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Permits in NJ are based on the construction cost, which can be as high as 10%.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• KSFMPO
        • Jun 2011

The permit is $20/ 1,000 total project cost, so it will be about $920.00 if the total is 46k

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by KSFMPO
          The permit is $20/ 1,000 total project cost, so it will be about $920.00 if the total is 46k
          OK was not sure what percentage NJ pays on permits. I knew it was a percentage as I did a rather large data center in Carterette about 8 years ago and the permits ran around $13 million and some change.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Solar Dude is a bit carried away with things - there is a lot more than 2 days on the roof for one guy involved for a system this size - a few holes to make in the roof and plus plus electrical work and inspections.

If one is good at DIY, does it all the time, has the tools and time plus cheap assistance, knows electrical work and doesn't mind learning the procedures to get permits, pass inspections and all then it OK.

For the other 95% plus of the population - better to have it done by a company.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Solar-dude
              • Jul 2011

yeah, but if you do it yoursef the permit fee becmes less!

anyways enphase has a video on their web site onhow to wire the panels, it is idiot proof, and it damm well better be that wire runs $1600 or so fora 10k system.
              anyone can do it, you'll only need an eletricain to wire it from the strings to the panel. if you don't know anythign about home wiring.

there are also videos of pretty much every racking system ever made either on the manufactuer's website or youtube.

watch them for yourself and see if you can handle it. some like schletler will give you drawings/wind loads and installation instructions and are about as complicated as putting together ikea furniture.

of course this is from someone who thinks 95%of the people in the world are competent, not the other way around.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

All I have to do is read the comments section after news stories to confirm my opinion of the average intelligence level.

1) If you think 95% of the homeowners are capable of understanding electrical code and doing wiring in a safe manner or

2) Capable of making openings in their roof, installing the support racks and sealing the openings or

3) Capable of getting permit documents through the appropriate offices without being ready to jump off the roof rather than install a solar system or

4) Capable of doing the lifting and assembly on the roof.

5) Many other things - -

That is one purpose of the NABCEP courses - to try to educate the people who want to work in the field where they have some small idea of what they are doing and saying.

Some people can do it with no problem - some can do it and struggle through - some will make a complete hash of it - most will end up spending more than the solar company wanted for the job.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Solar-dude
                  • Jul 2011

i'm an optimist

i'm an optimist. obviously people shoudl watch the videos themselves and see if they can do it, rather than read our debate of what % of people are competent to do it.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

More correctly you are an idiot - trying to get people into things by watching some stupid video - things too many will make a hash of.

You are not doing anyone a favor with your line of DIY - good for a few - yes bad overall - yes

I warned you in another thread - be helpful if you want

Arguing for the sake of arguing is useless
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Solar-dude
                      • Jul 2011

Obviously you never even watched the enphase wiring video. There is ONLY one way to plug in the connectors, it is physically IMPOSSIBEL to mess up the string wiring. That's right it is IMPOSSIBLE TO MIS WIRE IT WHEN USING THEIR SYSTEM.

And as mentioined previously u could hire an electician to do the wiring from the strings to the home elec. panel.

Before you insult people, do your homework and stop assuming you knwo what others are capable.

Comment

• NABCEP Russ
                        • Feb 2011

FYI the Enphase hardware is really only about $0.75 per watt wholesale. All in all, $4.25 is a pretty good price. I'd go with the one with the most reputable panels (Suntech). That is of course assuming that each installer is equally professional and competent. Good luck.
                        Your single source for sustainable home improvements: [URL="www.eco-merica.com"]www.eco-merica.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...