Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting solar panel and inverter to battery question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting solar panel and inverter to battery question?

Hi,

I would like to create a very simple solar panel setup, to power a 9W bulb and maybe a 3watt digital radio.

I'm considering purchasing a 12ah deep cycle battery, 15watt (1amp) max output solar panel and an equavilant inverter. The solar panel has a blocking diode so I don't think a charge controller will be required for this setup.

All the batteries I have seen only have two terminals one for the positive and one for negative. Is it possible to connect both the solar panel and the inverter connectors to the same battery at the same time i.e. four connectors to the batteries two terminals or would I have to charge the battery disconnect the solar panel and than connect the inverter?

Many Thanks in Advance.
    kp

you will be fine to connect the battery and the panel and the light bulb and another low power device at same time. but why you need a light buld if sun shining on the panel?
    forget the inverter as its self power will use to much of the panel power and the battery. use a 12v bulb or use 12V LEDs.

Comment

Thank you for your reply John,

why you need a light buld if sun shining on the panel?
      I would love to tell you, that I lived underground or something! LOL . Let me rephrase my question:

How would you connect a solar panel and inverter to a battery at the same time as batteries only has two terminals?

forget the inverter as its self power will use to much of the panel power and the battery. use a 12v bulb or use 12V LEDs.
      Im also planing to power a 3 watt digital radio 240v AC, this is the main reason for the inverter.

Thanks in advance.
      kp

Comment

The problem of the inverter is they have a self use of about 4w . for one about 150w . as you are using ony about 12w. light and radio. the inverter is opperating at a low effeciency. mabe as low as 75%. so your total battery draw is about 19w your panel your panel puts out mabe 12w on average.. soon a dead battery.even in sunshine.

Comment

Rats and double rats...in that case..I'll use re-chargable batteries in the radio and use a solar recharger instead. Now I just have to decide between a 12v bulb or 12V LEDs.

Thanks John.

Comment

Working...
          X