X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my amp readout 6.18 amp from two series connected 120w panel, and 14.26amp output sent to the battery with a n inverter load
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby75 View Post
      This is my amp readout 6.18 amp from two series connected 120w panel, and 14.26amp output sent to the battery with a n inverter load
      For what it is worth, you can design a DC-to-DC converter to get more amps out than amps in, keeping the wattage roughly constant and allowing for flexible input voltage, in two distinctly different ways:

1. You can program the microprocessor to scan a range of I versus V operating points to determine which one delivers the most power to the output, and keep scanning at intervals during normal operation. This is what is generally considered to be MPPT, and although it could be done with analog circuitry, the practical way to implement it is with a digital processor as the control element.

2. You could program the control element to simply sense the Voc of the connected array and then set the operating voltage point at a fixed fraction of that value. This would be a waste of the potential flexibility of the electronics and would also not get anywhere near the optimal result for a partially shaded string, but it would make use of more potential panel power than a straight PWM implementation. I am not sure why anybody would do this, unless they are not competent to design a real MPPT algorithm, but it would produce a CC that behaved on first examination like a true MPPT controller. It would still contain a DC-to-DC converter as well as the multi-phase output controls.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

mppt charge controllers-zlpower

Originally posted by Shibby75 View Post
        This forum has been very informative to me since im just getting into solar power.

I just want to share my experience with this mppt controller, it came in an unlabaled box.

My system at first setup was 2 x120w parallel conection mono panel, a china 600w inverter and locally produced 100ah flooded battery that is connected with the zlpower sl-40a.

Max charging amp from 2 parallel 120w panel was 11amp. So no big increase even with mppt

When i connected the panels as series, i got 14amp. So i do think this mppt really works.
        Shibby I also have a SL-40 from ZLPOWER and mine also DOSE work as a MPPT. volt before in the 30 tees 8amp out volt in the 12 and amps about11 or like that.Forgot the real numbers.
        I know another that has one and he also showes it is a REAL MPPT controller.
        Can't beat it for the Price , Saving Hundreds.
        Next is a 2000watt pure sine inverter with built in charge controller,and transfer switch.That will be saving me over $1500.00 now thats some chump change.Or a lot of coffee money.
        John
        oh, Diy solar panels now on 3 years,doing well. Money saved? dont even ask. toooooooooooo much

Comment

Very good controller....

Hello all,

Very good controller.... but !

I'm a solar product re sellers in Canada. I sell Canadian Solar Panel (made in Ontario, Canada) and I was selling ZlPower's solar charge controller & inverter/charger.

Last June (2013) I started importing the Solar Charge Controller SL series. Contrary to the various comment I read on this thread, I assure you that it is a real MPTT solar charge controller.

That is not the problems. The real problem is the company itself and the service they offer after sale.

- Their Quality control is very bad. The last batch I purchase (30 controller), I received 3 defective unit) that is 10% !

- They do not honour their warranty. Each time I get a call from a customer that his/her controller does not work, I replaced it with a new one but the company refused to replace or repair it the damage unit.

- They refuse to be responsible for any error they commit. I purchased LCD display with all my controllers. Half the connecting wire I received are defective. We're talking 50 cent telephone wire. Each time it resulted in endless discussion where they denied all responsibility and I ended up having to purchase the wire elsewhere.

- Last but not least, they advertise and sell products they don't have ! For instance, they claimed they can produce North American Split-Phase standard inverter/charger 120V/240V. So I bought one 4000W-24V Split-Pahse unit which cost me nearly $800 with shipping. When I received it, I realized it was a European model 230V 50 Hz modified with an extra 110 V line out. They actually call this a Dual phase but it's not a N.A. Split-Phase Stadanrd and can't be use on our system. Needless to say, they never wanted to replace it nor refund me and never admitted selling me the wrong produce. They still claim it is a Split Phase.

Just that you all know, I'm an Electrical Engineer. I think I know what is 120V/240V, 60 Hz Split-Phase vs European mono-phase 230V, 50Hz...

So my advice is: don't lose your money, these are, by far, the worse people I ever did business with

Right now I'm actively looking for reliable Canadian or USA manufacturer. I'm tired of getting screw by by dishonest Chinese thief...

Yex
          Last edited by Yex; 01-24-2014, 01:57 AM. Reason: My opinion changed

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            Any battery bank can have several controllers connected to it, and be fed from different sources.

I think this is what they mean by parallel controllers...

Yex

Comment

conection cable RS232 - RJ11

1.jpg3.jpg
              Originally posted by conntaxman View Post
              Tony, thanks for the reply.all what you said sounded good,I'm not that smart into electronics as you. So your saying that we cant JUST hook up that ,,,looks like phone jack to a lab top or desk top, that we will need another part?
              I also didn't have time to hook up like 2 -65 watt x 21 volts to see if it charges at 12 volts and more amp's, then the single panel.
              Im going to emil them tonight, or hook up skyp and talk to the sale people / girl and ask if I could be put in touch with a person in the other deptment were they figure all this stuff out and give them this link so they could read what you/we are tring to find out.
              TKS
              John

Dear Sirs,
              I would ask you, or someone for a piece of information. I bought a used SL-40A 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller with E-XXA series LCD display. But I did not get cable to connect the controller and LCD display. I opened LCD display and saw that the RS232 4 wires connected
              Pin 6 - Black
              Pin 7 - red
              pin 8 - red
              Pin 9 - yellow
              But how do I connect to the RJ11 connector.
              Could someone help me with this problem?
              BR Sead

Comment

Working...
              X