No announcement yet.

Field Multimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John no problem. Just as an FWIW you keep mentioning 12 volt batteries, you do know how to read inter-cell voltages of a 12 volt FLA battery? It can be done and will quickly tell you if the battery is up to snuff. Just reading 13.80 on the post while on float mode is not good enough, you need to know cell voltages to determine the relative health.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

No I dont know how you can check individual cells on FLA as many are sealed. In fact I dont have much to do even with looking after such batteries. I dont do much in the way of solar installs. ,and if I do I usually use AGM or lithium ion phosphate (my prefered choice)or in my case and a few others in Phils just big truck batteries.
      At work we use many types pf batteries many are not commercially available. For 12v batteries if they fail a current output test they just get sent to haz waste disposal.
      Most of my work is testing things to their limits in many ways. simply put I break just about everything. We have electrical engineers to design things then they are assembled or built then we test in different ways until failure .And alll of us technicians are very good at that,

Comment

Sears has a nice DC clamp-on meter too, likely something re-branded.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by john p View Post
          No I dont know how you can check individual cells on FLA as many are sealed.
          John if they are flooded lead acid, they cannot be sealed. I think maybe you are thinking of the sealed Lead Acid types like Gels, AGM, and VRLA. For th eFLA type all you do is take the fill cap off and stick your probe in the electrolyte. For th eend cells like 1 and 6 in a 12 volt battery you use the terminal post.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

If car starter batteries are not FLA what are they??

To put probes in a container with acid in it (battery) at work would be more trouble than its worth. Easier to send if not functioning correctly to haz waste disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by john p View Post
              If car starter batteries are not FLA what are they??
              Well I will stick my neck out, but not sure about your country, but likely AGM. If they are FLA and sealed, then they are throw away batteries not intended to be maintained. But it is just an educated guess.

I just bought two new Dodge 3500 Ram Turbo diesel pick ups and they come with 2 AGM batteries. One on each side of the engine compartment. We added a 3rd battery and isolator installed in the back where the back seat would be located.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Im not talking about "good/expensive" car starter bateries just the cheap crappy ones, the ones full of lead and acid. The one if you unlucky to drop on concrete put acid everywhere..
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X