Mechinical Load test

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dhaval.fudnawala
    • Sep 2010

ok. as per IEC 61215. clause 10.16 . Mechanical load test.
    Test apparatus, capable of applying a uniform load corresponding to 2400 Pa on the module surfaces
    Means for monitoring the continuity of the internal circuit of the module.
    (circuit continuity
    ya. its multi-crystalline cells, with tempered & low iron glass,EVA,Backsheets.

i need real mathod which can i do in QC job.

Comment

• dvhenry
      • Mar 2011

ok. as per IEC 61215. clause 10.16 . Mechanical load test.
      Test apparatus, capable of applying a uniform load corresponding to 2400 Pa on the module surfaces
      Means for monitoring the continuity of the internal circuit of the module.
      You know the details of the method you are using, we don't.

so when chasing an inconsistent or unexpected result I can only suggest the obvious,

Has this method previously produced reliable and expected results?

Are you sure you are using this method in a consistent manor?
      I note,
      there is temp. variation during each test(cycle)
      how much temp. effect on electrical parameter of solar cell or module. what happen module temp. goes up or down 2degree.
      The list could continue, but as I said, It's only stating the obvious.

Comment

• dhaval.fudnawala
        • Sep 2010

i did it on only one module. can you please tell how can i get information of this test?

Comment

• dvhenry
          • Mar 2011

i did it on only one module. can you please tell how can i get information of this test?
          Do you mean information on the test results, or the test equipment?

Also, could you confirm, Have you been in Quality control of solar panels for some time, or are you reasonably new to PV, the reason I ask is your level of knowledge is what we base our answers on, we can answer better if we know.

It is worth noting that the lowest output you showed us was 220watt from a 225watt panel and you mentioned a 2 degree (up or down) temperature variation, on top of this I don't know the tolerance allowed on this IEC test.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

2400 pascals = 0.02447 kg/cm2

Sure you have the weight correct?

You need to buy the IEC document - you can get it on line.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dhaval.fudnawala
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by dvhenry
              Do you mean information on the test results, or the test equipment?

Also, could you confirm, Have you been in Quality control of solar panels for some time, or are you reasonably new to PV, the reason I ask is your level of knowledge is what we base our answers on, we can answer better if we know.

It is worth noting that the lowest output you showed us was 220watt from a 225watt panel and you mentioned a 2 degree (up or down) temperature variation, on top of this I don't know the tolerance allowed on this IEC test.
              ya. i am working as QC Engineer in solar module manufacturing plant in india. right now i am trying different reliability test on solar module to improve quality of M. i did this mec. test by reading documents on internet. but i am not sure about result of same.

i took electical data on sunsimulaor. variation during tamp. is near+-2 deg.

Comment

• dhaval.fudnawala
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by russ
                2400 pascals = 0.02447 kg/cm2

Sure you have the weight correct?

You need to buy the IEC document - you can get it on line.
                2400 pascals=244.73kg-force/square meter.
                my module size is 1665x985x45.
                so according to this i have to give around 407kg

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Generally, the panel FRAME is supposed to take the load, and the glass & PV sandwich would only be affected by wind.

Generally, as much pressure as you are applying, would over-stress the entire sandwich, and a failure would be expected. I would think a better test, would be to thermal cycle the panel at a slow rate, for several hundred cycles, with flash test done every couple of minutes.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• dvhenry
                    • Mar 2011

right now i am trying different reliability test on solar module to improve quality of M. i did this mec. test by reading documents on internet.
                    I will give this one more try, how are you doing this?
                    An example may be something like,

"I'm putting the module face down on a clean flat metal surface with a sheet of thin plastic between to help prevent damage to the glass, I then put a sheet of flexible rubber like material over the cell side of the module in an attempt to ensure even pressure over the entire module, I then carefully lower a 407kg weight that has a flat metal surface large enough to entirely cover the panel onto it. The test is done before the frame is fitted to the panel."

The above example includes some of my thoughts on this, what you are already doing may be far better, but the point is that
                    ya we put 408 kg on module bothside.
                    this info by its self is close to useless.

Perhaps take some photos of the equipment used and supply a description of the procedure used?

i did this mec. test by reading documents on internet.
                    Perhaps give us some links to these docs?

I understand you need to do this for IEC, but I'm still struggling to find any useful purpose to this test.

Your IEC document will have the information needed to for you to workout what is acceptable for both the method used and test results, unfortunately the relevant sections can't be posted here due to copyright. (I firmly believe that standards should be free of copyright)

Comment

• dhaval.fudnawala
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by dvhenry
                      I will give this one more try, how are you doing this?
                      An example may be something like,

"I'm putting the module face down on a clean flat metal surface with a sheet of thin plastic between to help prevent damage to the glass, I then put a sheet of flexible rubber like material over the cell side of the module in an attempt to ensure even pressure over the entire module, I then carefully lower a 407kg weight that has a flat metal surface large enough to entirely cover the panel onto it. The test is done before the frame is fitted to the panel."

The above example includes some of my thoughts on this, what you are already doing may be far better, but the point is that this info by its self is close to useless.

Perhaps take some photos of the equipment used and supply a description of the procedure used?

Perhaps give us some links to these docs?

I understand you need to do this for IEC, but I'm still struggling to find any useful purpose to this test.

Your IEC document will have the information needed to for you to workout what is acceptable for both the method used and test results, unfortunately the relevant sections can't be posted here due to copyright. (I firmly believe that standards should be free of copyright)
                      ya when i did this test on modules, i used module glass with out anything on the surface of module. i directly put 407kg on every section of module randomly for 1 hr.

i provide you picture of same after monday.
                      ya and about IEC, its very castly so............

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Hi Dhaval - Tell your boss making you run around in the dark is much more costly than the IEC sections that you need.

If they are too cheap to supply that for you I think you are working for the wrong company.

Russ
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dhaval.fudnawala
                          • Sep 2010

Hi Dhaval - Tell your boss making you run around in the dark is much more costly than the IEC sections that you need.

If they are too cheap to supply that for you I think you are working for the wrong company.

Russ
                          ya. but i am working in small comapny. this test what i am doing is for my referance. i am looking forward to improve quality of M. ok

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Be that as it may - the base point for a QC man is always the standard (test, reference material) - if you have to guess at the standard then life becomes very difficult!

Russ
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dhaval.fudnawala
                              • Sep 2010

Be that as it may - the base point for a QC man is always the standard (test, reference material) - if you have to guess at the standard then life becomes very difficult!

Russ
                              ya you are right. thanks for your support and advices. r u a installar of modules? one more thing i want to ask you, i did diploma in power electronics and i would like to do futher studies in renewable energy. i tried in india but i fail to found any course. is there any unversity in aus. ho provide me the same course.....
                              if you suggest me i am very thankful to you.

Comment

• dvhenry
                                • Mar 2011

i directly put 407kg on every section of module randomly for 1 hr.
                                Am I reading this right?
                                This weight needs to spread over the entire panel, as evenly as possible, or there is no question, if you don't, damage WILL be done!

Comment

Working...