X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raymondalmeda
    • Dec 2010

Installing an analog ammeter

Hi,

Anybody here who knows how to install an analog ammeter to measure the current coming from the panels? I tried doing it by directly wiring the meter in series with the positive wire, it gives me a reading but it trips the controller after a few seconds. I heard from somebody that you ned to put a resistor and a diode so that it won't trip. By any chance anybody here knows if thats a true and if so, can somebody give me the diagram and parts needed?

Thanks!
    -Ameds-
    [URL="My starter solar setup"]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110199&id=1460868554&l=8dbb187d24[/URL]
    [URL="Video of my solar setup"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEq-6Lc3_SI[/URL]
  • john p
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2010

You need to buy a shunt (50a) but depends on what the aprox full amps you are likely to ever get from the panles.. its best to get a shunt size tso that your reading will be about half the shunt rating...wire it in series with the positive wire from the panels then connect a millivolt meter across the shunt to read the amps
    Attached Files

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Are you asking for a permanent meter or test meter?

Both work the same way if using a shunt type meter. A shunt is a precision power resistor designed to develop 50 milli-volts at full scale reading.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Perry
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2011

I added a 3' piece of #14 wire between the charge controller and the batteries. This is my shunt resistor. I calibrated it but snipping of bits of wire until it read the same as my 10 AMP multimeter. I think it's something like 0.002 ohms, so the voltage developed across this resister is 0.024 volts. THen you just need to buy or make a meter that will sense this voltage.

Or you could just buy this for 15 AMP DC ammeter for 8$

Quality general use panel meters. Accuracy: 2-1/2%. Resistance XXXX ohm. Black legends on white face. Plastic case with zero adjustment. Front mounts in 1.772 (45mm) hole. Two mounting screws on diaognal. W: 2-3/4 H: 2-1/4 D: 1-7/8 WT: .19

Comment

• raymondalmeda
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sunking
          Are you asking for a permanent meter or test meter?

Both work the same way if using a shunt type meter. A shunt is a precision power resistor designed to develop 50 milli-volts at full scale reading.
          I'm planning to make it a permanent meter to constantly measure the current my panels are giving.
          -Ameds-
          [URL="My starter solar setup"]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110199&id=1460868554&l=8dbb187d24[/URL]

Comment

• raymondalmeda
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by john p
            You need to buy a shunt (50a) but depends on what the aprox full amps you are likely to ever get from the panles.. its best to get a shunt size tso that your reading will be about half the shunt rating...wire it in series with the positive wire from the panels then connect a millivolt meter across the shunt to read the amps
            I have 4 pcs. 100watt panels @ 12v / 5.7a. Please pardon my ignorance, after I buy a shunt how do i connect my analog ammeter then?

Thanks!
            -Ameds-

Comment

• Perry
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by raymondalmeda
              I have 4 pcs. 100watt panels @ 12v / 5.7a. Please pardon my ignorance, after I buy a shunt how do i connect my analog ammeter then?

Thanks!
              This 30 Amp meter has a built in shunt. Just install it between the charge controller and the battery.

Panel mount DC current shunts for use with 50mV DC ammeters. Thermoplastic mounting base with mounting holes. Screw terminals for input & meter leads.

Comment

• john p
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2010

Raymondalmeda If you use a shunt you use a millivolt meter as shown in the simple drawing to read the amps usually 1a =1mv .if you dont use a shunt you just connect the 30a ampmeter as shown in the drawing where the shunt is. you dont need any diodes or anything else .

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

you could get an old automotive ammeter with 2 terminal lugs on it, those often have the internal shunt, but only read in 5A increments.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• john p
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2010

But Mike he may have trouble finding a 1948 Hudson Hornet to get the ampmeter..??
                    Mabe it easier if he just goes to an electronics parts shop and either buys a 50a shunt and a millivolt meter or a 30a ampmeter,..

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by john p
                      But Mike he may have trouble finding a 1948 Hudson Hornet to get the ampmeter..??
                      Mabe it easier if he just goes to an electronics parts shop and either buys a 50a shunt and a millivolt meter or a 30a ampmeter,..
                      Agree with you John simplest method is to just use a 50 amp shunt (assuming 50 mv full scale) and using a good DVM with an accurate mv scale as it keeps things simple. There are lots of suppliers and a shunt works in either AC or DC circuits.

With that said I do not know how useful a shunt would be for a operator and hard to justify the expense. Once the4 system is installed and verified, the shunt would not have much use. Since any system needs a good volt meter.I would recommend a good DVM with a clamp-on Amp meter to start with and forget about the added expense of a shunt and just use the meter when you need to measure current. You kill 2 birds with one stone and save money.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• axis11
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Mar 2011

digital meter + shunt

Raymond , Have a look at this meter. I've been thinking of getting one myself. Rated at 50amps + shunt included. seller is "ithingsonlineshop"

Comment

Working...