Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

many questions regarding Solar Panel Testing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• many questions regarding Solar Panel Testing.

I would like to test the affects of sun and rain on the performace of solar panels on my own.

Because this is a test I will be utilizing low output producing panels.
    I am going to document over time... the output of each solar panel.

My questions are this:

Which outputs would be most important to test? ie watts volts etc. From a professional standpoint what would you like to see as far as output?

I assume different solar panel companies use different glass does anyone have a list of the different glass they use?

What are people using to clean their panels?

I would like to hear your thoughts and experience on proper testing...

thank you!

The thing to measure is WATTS. You will need a special tester that applies a dynamiac load to the panels, to track the max power, as the day goes by.

You will also need a reference irridation source, that you compare the panels to, other wise you have no way of telling if the panels are reducing output, or there is a tad more dust in the sky.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You need a recording watt hour meter.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

For the solar reading here are possibilities:

1) www.microcircuitlabs.com/SDL-1.htm#new_enclosure pyranometer kit or complete

2) Daystar meter http://www.zianet.com/daystar/solarmeter.html

3) Pyranometer http://www.kippzonen.com/?productgro...anometers.aspx

4) Solar irradiance meter http://www.microcircuitlabs.com/SIM.htm
        Last edited by russ; 03-01-2011, 01:41 PM. Reason: format
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          The thing to measure is WATTS. You will need a special tester that applies a dynamiac load to the panels, to track the max power, as the day goes by.

You will also need a reference irridation source, that you compare the panels to, other wise you have no way of telling if the panels are reducing output, or there is a tad more dust in the sky.

I am a little confused.

What is the name of this special tester?

And what will I need it for?

Otherwise

I understand the irradiation reading for comparison. So for clarity:

I will need to take the readings from the meter throughout the day to figure what the max watts were for the day.

Than I need to read my watthour meter to determine what my total output was, for the day, for each of my panels.

The specifications of my panels should give me a consistant output visavie the daily output of the sun. Any dirt or interference on either of the panels will give me an inconsistant reading.

I can hook the watthour meter up directly to the panel without converting the current to ac correct?

Comment

Sunking will hopefully correct me, but the tester is a special load, that works like a MPPT controller, to track the peak power of the PV and the day progresses. You cannot connect a "known" load or calibrated resistor directly to the PV, as it's voltage and current vary throughout the day. You can use a fixed resistor, of the appropriate wattage (2x the expected PV rating) but you will get inaccurate results.

You will need either several wattmeters, and thermometers, or a single one, and a multiplexer that will switch between your different panels.

Panels produce DC power, you do not have to convert to AC to measure.

Wash panels at dawn or sunset, when the cold water will not cause thermal shock to hot panels. I prefer dawn, as the evening dew has softened any deposits overnight, and the sun will shortly dry it out. I use plain water.
            Last edited by Mike90250; 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              Sunking will hopefully correct me, but the tester is a special load, that works like a MPPT controller, to track the peak power of the PV and the day progresses.
              Mike you are on the right track, problem is they are custom built units the manufactures use and I do not know of any commercial made units specifically for testing individual panels. Many of the high end GTI's have them built into them for both DC and AC power, but I do not think that is what the poster is wanting.

Only way I know to do this is a custom designed test unit like the manufactures use which would take an engineering design team to put together.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                Mike you are on the right track, problem is they are custom built units the manufactures use and I do not know of any commercial made units specifically for testing individual panels. Many of the high end GTI's have them built into them for both DC and AC power, but I do not think that is what the poster is wanting.

Only way I know to do this is a custom designed test unit like the manufactures use which would take an engineering design team to put together.
                so for 2 panels I need:

2 panels
                2 watt hour meters
                1 solar irradiation meter

Comment

Originally posted by ACHILLE View Post
                  so for 2 panels I need:

2 panels
                  2 watt hour meters
                  1 solar irradiation meter
                  No not necessarily. What are you trying to do?
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                  X