Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 kw gridtied residential

Hi guys and girl,

So far my PV experience has been in smaller size systems. 6kw and less. There's a potential for a larger 20 kw hillside groundmount system. 4- 5000 watt inverters. Other then the normal caculations for MB, subs, buss. Is there a way to calculate the utility wired and transformers. Other then checking with the utility. PG&E. The existing main and buss are 200. Which I know needs to be changed. Can the transformer be effected. Or do I just need to worry about utility line wires.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Not something you have to worry about.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

You would need to work with an electrical engineer for the design & PGE. A 20 kW system is not so small.

There would be a load of paper work - permits etc that the electrical engineer would have to handle.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Most area have a 10Kw limit on a residential install. Feeder line capacities and all...
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          Most area have a 10Kw limit on a residential install. Feeder line capacities and all...
          This is accurate for some areas. Once you step over the 10 Kw lines you are now viewed as a co-generator and a whole new set of rules and market demands.

Here is the problem you could be faced with. Instead of getting NET METERING which forces the utility to pay you the same as they charge you whenever you generate excess, they will only pay fair market value. So instead of paying you say 15-cents per Kwh, they pay you 5 to 7 cents, and only if they want to if their supply is down and nothing less expensive available. Once you are in that market it works like any other Market; you offer and they bid. If your offer is higher than their bid, you get to sit there and do nothing and only have two choices. Lower your offer or wait till they bid up.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

For my area. I knew the rules change at 10 kw. At 20 kw, to be honest, it is a grey area for me and it may be for the utility company too. I've only worked with the net metering. And utility companies sometimes aren't so helpful, with all the new PV installations going on. They seem to be running in circles. Not to mention, all the companies that popped up at of nowhere, doing horrible installations and causing utilities to throw flags, making the process slow and time consuming. For all the right reasons of course.
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X