solar system design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenHouse View Post
    I also suspect Sunking knows that there is no way R.E. system design and construction can be outsourced to commie workers. Pretty hard to be an underpaid worker in Bangalore or Pune when the physical work is in Dallas or Houston!
    Well sort of. The Design can easily be done overseas, and contracted out to undocumented roofers paid $30 per day. All it take sis one licensed contractor sitting in an office in TX to pull it off, sign the paperwork at inspection time, and collect a check from the Government
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Riffraf if not for Americans, you would be Japanese my friend. Now who is going to save you from the Chi-Coms?
      Dude.

The OP is from India.

I've got my issues with the Chinese, but not because they are a bunch of Commies. The Commies aren't the problem in China, it's the Merchantilists.
      Julie in Texas

Comment

Well sort of. The Design can easily be done overseas, and contracted out to undocumented roofers paid $30 per day. All it take sis one licensed contractor sitting in an office in TX to pull it off, sign the paperwork at inspection time, and collect a check from the Government
        Doubtful. Part of what makes the entire "off-shored call center" thing not work is the lack of cultural / social understanding of the people one is speaking with. "Off-shore" solar design would be about as successful as off-shored call centers -- a lot of those are being repatriated.

I had to stop by the local Sprint Store the other day to straighten out my corporate phone account. They recently off-shored some of their call center work and that was my first negative experience with Sprint in 9 years of being a customer. Companies =are= learning that we don't want to speak to someone in another country who knows =nothing= about whatever our issues are. Sprint is late to the off-shoring thing and will learn that sooner or later.
        Julie in Texas

Comment

The OP is from India.
          Yes I know.

I've got my issues with the Chinese, but not because they are a bunch of Commies. The Commies aren't the problem in China, it's the Merchantilists.
          Mercantilism is the economic policy of the Chinese government.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Doubtful. Part of what makes the entire "off-shored call center" thing not work is the lack of cultural / social understanding of the people one is speaking with.
            I am not referring to Call Centers. I am referring to outsourced engineering.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

I am not referring to Call Centers. I am referring to outsourced engineering.
              That doesn't work much better than out-sourced call centers ...

ANYWAY, we're way off topic again ...
              Julie in Texas

Comment

why all the comments directed at me with quotes that are not even in this forum?, i was not the one making ignorant racist inflammatory comments to people, just somebody insulted by it. sunking is the racist and proud of it, and greenhouse you thinking they are funny comments puts you in the same boat. can you please stop deleting my posts

Comment

@ RifRaf - I deleted your comment as you had copied Sunking's post in it. Didn't do any good to delete his if I left yours.

I agree that we do not need to insult anyone or political views. Political views are kind of like various body parts - everyone has them and they are at least a little different.

As long as we are stuck on this old world together we may as well try to get along as best possible.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

russ, yep no worries, good to have neutral people like you here, though imho if someone is brave enough to make those remarks they should have to deal with the opinions, (or support) that comes with it, at least to keep further comments relevant if they are being allowed

Comment

Originally posted by RifRaf View Post
                      sunking is the racist and proud of it, and greenhouse you thinking they are funny comments puts you in the same boat.
                      Excuse me?

If Sunking or I were the racists you want to paint us to be, the OP would still be scratching his butt waiting on any answers. Which if we followed your model of participation in this thread is exactly where he'd be -- scratching his butt, waiting on someone to give him a hand with his system.

Righteous indignation is always fun -- just be sure you've done more than sit around doing nothing to help your imagined victim the next time you try hauling out the race card.
                      Last edited by greenHouse; 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM. Reason: Calling RifRaf a racist for not bothering to help the OP was over the top. Sorry.
                      Julie in Texas

Comment

This is getting sickening!

Having fun at the expense of others is playground stuff - 3rd grade style! Forget the racist 'card' stuff!

The comments were racist and quite ugly! Can we be done now please.

Russ
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                          This is getting sickening!

Having fun at the expense of others is playground stuff - 3rd grade style! Forget the racist 'card' stuff!

The comments were racist and quite ugly! Can we be done now please.

Russ
                          Racism is a system of oppression based on racial characteristics. I find it laughable that helping a person design their system is "oppressive" while doing nothing to actually help that person isn't.

And for what it's worth, Sunking's comments -- assuming he was serious -- were xenophobic, not racist.

But, back to racism -- it's do-nothing do-gooders who tend to do more harm than good on account of they, you know, do-nothing. And based on the definition of "racism" as "a system of oppression based on racial characterists", the do-nothing do-gooders are the racists since their actions maintain the status quo within a power dynamic. If knowledge is power, withholding knowledge is withholding power. Something to think about the next time you pull that card out of your hand and throw it at someone.
                          Julie in Texas

Comment

Guys, don't get mad at the Mod's for removing posts. A lot of you don't realize how much junk comes through the forum on a daily basis. It really is a lot of work sifting through the posts, removing junk, and trying to maintain the neutral ground when problems like these arise.

Russ is here everyday deleting spammers and keeping the forum clean. Oh..and for free. It it wasn't for people like him, this place would be filled up with ads and spammers and no real information.

When he is encountered with threads like this, whatever decision is made will make one of the parties angry in some way. Don't take things like this personal and get over it.

If you don't like the comments a person is making, put them on your ignore list. Simple as that.

Everyone's sensitivity level varies. For example, Sunking easily gets under the skin of some people, and to me his posts are see-thru. The people who get pissed at Sunking are the type who are always looking for something to be offended or pissed off by. It's a good thing Dereck isn't retired. Warn me when that happens Dereck, so I can prepare. Rifraf, your getting upset at Dereck for the same thing you do. I've seen numerous things by you where you were generalizing Americans. Same situation. Some people are softies about it, and me...I just laugh, admit there is a little truth to what your saying, then move on.

For conversations like these, rant over in the General Discussion area. Start a post on this situation for all I care....just don't take some guy's post who wanted a question answered and turn it into this. It's childish and disrespectful to the OP.

Sunking, Greenhouse, Rifraf, Russ, Mike...thank you all very much for helping people out. It's greatly appreciated. Threads like these are going to happen and will again in the future. It's not a big deal or anything to get worked up about. Just move on.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Comment

Vikas,

Sorry for the diversions from the others.

It sounds like what you're actually trying to design is a standby / emergency backup power system, rather than a regular off-grid system. If you have the grid, use it -- don't design for off-grid because the requirements are completely different and the sizings can get out of hand really fast. There are ways to manage grid-tied system to maximize what you get from the sun. They usually require discharging some stored capacity before sunrise to make room for any power that is "spilled" during the day.

For example, if you produce 20% of your capacity each day, and you consume 10% of your capacity during daylight hours, you should be able to use approximately 100% of your solar harvest if you discharge by 10% =before= the start of solar production.

You still have the grid, and you're still using 100% of what you make.

For your sizings, see Mike's response at #10 and use that with my response at #3 to get your final answers.

As regards the battery efficiency, since you will be using a shallow charge / discharge cycle, you will see fairly low -- 70 to 75 percent -- efficiency. But that's completely unavoidable in a standby system.

A better solution would be to use OutBack Power Systems inverters, assuming the grid will allow you to "sell" excess power. Then all you lose is 1 or 2 percent to "float". And you get standby power in the event the grid is lost.
                              Julie in Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                                Thanks and Merry Christmas
                                I find that comment extremely racist and offensive. You should remove yourself as a moderator
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                                X