Grid Tie System with Standby Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grid Tie System with Standby Generator

My house has a standby generator with an automatic transfer switch (it's fairly rural so we get frequent power outages). When the utility power fails, the switch automatically powers up the generator and then switches power over (the utility service is isolated). I am interested in a 7kW grid tie system. As long as we are on the grid, things are fine. But in the case of an outage, I am worried about feeding power back into the generator. If the panels are producing 7kW and the house is only consuming 2kW, then it trying to feed 5kW back into the generator. I don't think the generator can handle this. How is this situation normally handled? I could just automatically shut off the solar during an outage, but that sees like a waste.

Regards, Technoyogi

Real simple, if you loose commercial power, the solar PV turns off, the automatic transfer switch (ATS) operates to isolate you from the grid as designed and to electrical codes, and the generator picks up the load in the house.

The PV system will not reconnect until commercial power has been restored for about 5 minute without interruption. Once commercial power is restored, the generator turns off, the ATS re-connects you back to commercial power, and then the PV system will turn on when all is clear
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks, I guess this is putting the grid tie inverter feed in between the utility meter and the ATS. Is there any way to put it on the other side of the ATS?

Are there codes saying where the PV should be placed in the system?

Regards, Stephen

Comment

@ Technoyogi - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

You found the right guy - Sunking knows this stuff very well!

Again, Welcome!
        Russ
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Technoyogi View Post
          Thanks, I guess this is putting the grid tie inverter feed in between the utility meter and the ATS. Is there any way to put it on the other side of the ATS?
          No Sir electrical codes prevent it. Grid tie inverters can only run when you have commercial power available in your configuration.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Has anyone developed a method or "black box" which would reconfigure a system during a power outage, to essentially change a grid tie system into an off grid system?
            Art

Comment

Originally posted by Vandergraaff View Post
              Has anyone developed a method or "black box" which would reconfigure a system during a power outage, to essentially change a grid tie system into an off grid system?
              Will not work, a GTI is a current source and will only operate with a very low impedance of the grid. Every bit of current has to be used, otherwise it will go into over voltage and shut itself down as designed.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

That is a whole different type of inverter, a hybrid off-grid/Grid tie. Sunny Boy makes one ( sunny island), and Xantrex makes a line (the XW series)
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Sunking, I have same exact situation. I have a gen that I want to use to power entire house during storms. I have installed a GT 16kw system. How would the ATS be located? I have a 400A main with 2 200A subs in the house. The solar subpanel is a 125A and is line side tapped. Would this method of install pose any problems?

Comment

Originally posted by stumpy40 View Post
                    Sunking, I have same exact situation. I have a gen that I want to use to power entire house during storms. I have installed a GT 16kw system. How would the ATS be located?
                    The only place it is allowed to go, immediately after the meter disconnect.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Gotcha....so if I installed the solar subpanel line side tap...could I still make it work?

Comment

How do You isolate the solar panel's breaker from the Backup Generator?

How do You isolate the solar panel's breaker from the Backup Generator? If the solar starts producing power ,won't it will feed into the generator and short something out?? In other words , wouldn't I have to turn the Breaker off that feeds the solar panel inverter to prevent accidental back feed??

Comment

Originally posted by ahec2222 View Post
                          How do You isolate the solar panel's breaker from the Backup Generator? If the solar starts producing power ,won't it will feed into the generator and short something out?? In other words , wouldn't I have to turn the Breaker off that feeds the solar panel inverter to prevent accidental back feed??
                          If you have an automatic or manual transfer switch between the POCO service connection and your building main panel, and you feed your generator into the other input of the transfer switch, then if you legally connect your grid tie inverter output to the POCO side of the transfer switch there is no way that it can end up connected to the generator.

If instead of a transfer switch you use an interlock between the main breaker and the generator breaker, the again you connect the PV on the POCO side of the main breaker (with its own service rated disconnect). Then when you open the main breaker before closing the generator breaker you cannot end up with the PV connected to the generator.

If, on the other hand, you feed the PV into the main panel through a load side breaker, just as the generator is fed in, you need to come up with a mechanical interlock that requires BOTH the main and PV breakers to be open before you can close the generator breaker.

Piece of cake until you try to get it inspected and approved.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Hi

Though I am asking this question in another thread also, but I wish to know if I am certain that my consumption will be much more than what my PV panels can generate and there will be then no chance of PV current reaching generators, then will it not be better for me to connect the GTI on the common output of Mains and DG? i.e. when Mains fail, the GTI will consider DG output as grid and keep producing electricity and save me fuel?

Regards

Sushant

Comment

Hi Technoyogi

While my knowledge is very limited in solar, but I strongly feel that you should use a battery system than a Grid Tie. As you mentioned that the grid supply is very erratic, it will mean that your GTI will not be doing any work most of the time. And if you are from India (Like me), the main power cuts are normally during the peak afternoons only which means production may be near zero only. A battery system will be more expensive, but still will be worth it.

Regards

Sushant

Comment

Working...
                              X