Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How best to start out

Hi
    Im new to this site.So im very interested in solar and was trying to find information on how to start out. im only 19 and so my income is very limited so however i start out ill have to buy things piece by piece. My main goal is i want to collect free energy store it and use it. that way i can save myself money on my electricty bill. i have been researching for about the past 3months and ofc learned a lot however im still iffy on whats the best way to start out. i was wondering if i could get any recomendations on what i should start with that i can still build on to later. I know 48volt systems are better because you have a lower amp and get a higher wattage with less wireing which saves you money but is it cheaper to startout with a 48volt or a 12volt. Also was wondering whats the best battery system to start with that will have a decent life but also wont kill me in price. Any help would be appreciated THANKS!

Originally posted by DieHardSolarFan View Post
    Im new to this site.So im very interested in solar and was trying to find information on how to start out.
    By far the best way is to get a good technical education. That will teach you the basics.

There's no way to build a large, capable system in small, cheap pieces. If you want to learn about solar practically then start with a small system - a 12V panel, simple PWM controller, flooded deep cycle battery, good battery monitor and inverter. You'll ruin the battery, but the monitor will tell you how you ruined it, and you'll learn from that.

Comment

Originally posted by DieHardSolarFan View Post
      Hi
      Im new to this site.So im very interested in solar and was trying to find information on how to start out. im only 19 and so my income is very limited so however i start out ill have to buy things piece by piece. My main goal is i want to collect free energy store it and use it. that way i can save myself money on my electricty bill. i have been researching for about the past 3months and ofc learned a lot however im still iffy on whats the best way to start out. i was wondering if i could get any recomendations on what i should start with that i can still build on to later. I know 48volt systems are better because you have a lower amp and get a higher wattage with less wireing which saves you money but is it cheaper to startout with a 48volt or a 12volt. Also was wondering whats the best battery system to start with that will have a decent life but also wont kill me in price. Any help would be appreciated THANKS!
      #1 - Interesting moniker you have selected.
      #2 - Your grammar, spelling & punctuation is horrendous (correct that or others won't take you as an intelligent poster)
      #3 - The BEST way for someone your age on a limited or restrictive income would be for you to look into working for a solar company (if you truly are a DieHardSolarFan). If solar is your passion, find those that are already doing it. Learn from them how it works TODAY and then use your intelligence to CHANGE the current model to something that might be less expensive.
      #4 - If you can not enter into the field professionally, go take electronics classes at your local community college.
      #5 - Good luck & let us know how it goes

Read these...
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit
      http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/21/th...thkit-mystery/
      Last edited by ndabunka; 11-28-2015, 12:52 AM. Reason: insert a wiki link

Comment

Originally posted by ndabunka View Post
        #1 - Interesting moniker you have selected.
        #2 - Your grammar, spelling & punctuation is horrendous (correct that or others won't take you as an intelligent poster)
        #3 - The BEST way for someone your age on a limited or restrictive income would be for you to look into working for a solar company (if you truly are a DieHardSolarFan). If solar is your passion, find those that are already doing it. Learn from them how it works TODAY and then use your intelligence to CHANGE the current model to something that might be less expensive.
        #4 - If you can not enter into the field professionally, go take electronics classes at your local community college.
        #5 - Good luck & let us know how it goes

Read these...
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit
        http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/21/th...thkit-mystery/
        Thanks for the tips and links it is much appreciated. I am acutally enrolled at my local college. I am taking a physics course and trying to find a local solar company that would hire me however they are not taking any apps right now. Just like your thread on the healthkit maybe I could start out with a small set up that I could tincker with and learn from it. Maybe with that I can learn from mistakes I make and hopefully better understand what it is im doing. Do you think that would be wise?

Comment

If saving money on your electricity bill is a goal, forget about batteries. A grid tie system is your best chance, but you'll need to get some understanding of how much energy you use, how you are billed for it, and how your power company credits you for energy fed back into the grid. Installing it yourself will save money, but you'll need to learn about the applicable code and permitting process for your area, how to design the system to maximize its value, and develop the mechanical skills and learn the building practices to install it properly.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
          X