X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by charles2,david000k
    Not with my methane system it uses back pressure to feed the line and you can converter a normal septic system to a digester. No replacing tanks just seal the tank run a line to a filter system to remove sulfur back flash arrestor then to the natural gas pipeline natural gas psi in to the home is 1/4psi
    Great. That won't work everywhere. If you made it a law, then you'd have people doing that incompetently. You'd have explosions, wasted energy and sanitary systems that do not accomplish their goal of moving waste away from people.

Comment

• charles2,david000k
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by jflorey2
      No; you can't "close the cycle" like that. You always need more thorium to drive the cycle.
      I think sunking beat ya to that one but I get it Thorium is the seed that Plutonium come from. I gave up on the Thorium reactor ideal not what I thought it was.

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by charles2,david000k
        I think sunking beat ya to that one but I get it Thorium is the seed that Plutonium come from.
        No, thorium is the fertile material that U-232 (an isotope of uranium) comes from. U-232 is what allows a sustained fission reaction. There are a great many other byproducts of that reaction (Pa-231, Pa-232, U-235, Np-237 etc) but the U-232 is where you get your power.

Thorium itself is not fissionable. You need a "seed" (usually plutonium or U-235) to start transmuting the thorium to U-232. Once you transmute a small amount, then the fission reaction begins, and the neutrons that are a byproduct of that reaction start transmuting the rest of the fertile material.

If that sounds complex, it is - which is why very few thorium reactors have been built. It's a promising technology, but far from the perfect solution that many of its proponents claim.

Comment

Working...