Remote Telecom/Surveillance Solar Setup - Feedback?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

...1. Pan Tilt Zoom Camera 5v / 2 / 10
    2. Wireless Router 5v / 1 / 5
    3. Wireless Bridge 24v / 0.25 / 6

Total 3.25 21
    1. You can't add up amperages that are at different voltages. That's why we watts and watthours.

2. The buck converter throws your calculations for daily watthours out the window. They work by burning off the extra voltage as heat. So your camera will require 24 watts to operate instead of 10. That'll put your load up to 1008 watthours daily.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
      1. You can't add up amperages that are at different voltages. That's why we watts and watthours.

2. The buck converter throws your calculations for daily watthours out the window. They work by burning off the extra voltage as heat. So your camera will require 24 watts to operate instead of 10. That'll put your load up to 1008 watthours daily.

Hmmm. The one document I saw for that IPCC-7210W camera showed it rated 1 amp at 12volt which is probably what it uses when it is panning. So that 10w seemed about right to me.

But you are correct the OP really needs to know what each of those components will draw in watt hours on a daily basis to properly size the battery and panel wattage.

Comment

• kb1003
        • Nov 2015

I believe I converted everything correctly.

PTZ Camera: 5v/2amps/10watts
        Wireless Router: 5v/1amps/5watts
        Wireless Bridge: 24v/.25amps/6watts

Totaling 21 watts.

The PTZ camera I've seen on different reviews/forums is that it rus at rated for 12v 1 amp or 5v 2 amps.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by kb1003
          I believe I converted everything correctly.

PTZ Camera: 5v/2amps/10watts
          Wireless Router: 5v/1amps/5watts
          Wireless Bridge: 24v/.25amps/6watts

Totaling 21 watts.

The PTZ camera I've seen on different reviews/forums is that it rus at rated for 12v 1 amp or 5v 2 amps.
          Read up on how Buck converters work.

Comment

• jflorey2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
            2. The buck converter throws your calculations for daily watthours out the window. They work by burning off the extra voltage as heat.
            You're thinking of linear regulators. Buck converters are switchmode converters that can convert higher voltages to lower voltages with very little loss in power. In other words, you can convert 24 volts to 5 volts and only lose about 5% of the power to the conversion step.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

I do already have the 100 watt panels on order but they have not shipped yet so I can still cancel the order and go with a bigger 200 watt panel. I am really concerned with having enough wattage now.
              Why?

If you use a 5 day battery reserve capacity all you need is 170 watts. 200, or 250 is more than enough. Just be aware when you cross the 200 watt panel finish line you exceed the 20 amp MPPT controller. In your part of TX the minimum panel wattage only applies to 30 days of late December and Early January. The other 330 days you have over kill.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

OK since I already have the 100 watt panels on order. I'm thinking about ordering 1 more 100 watt panel, mount them separately and run them in a series for 300 watts of power. That would put 3 panels on a vertical pole mount.
                If you do that means you need a larger controller.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jflorey2
                  You're thinking of linear regulators. Buck converters are switchmode converters that can convert higher voltages to lower voltages with very little loss in power. In other words, you can convert 24 volts to 5 volts and only lose about 5% of the power to the conversion step.
                  But has to be accounted for.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• kb1003
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by jflorey2
                    So I can just use a regulator instead?

Comment

• jflorey2
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2015

So I can just use a regulator instead?
                      If you use a regulator (say an LM317) to drop 24 volts to 5 volts at 1 amp, you will dissipate (24-5)*1=19 watts while delivering 5 watts to your load. Total power drain for that device - 24 watts.

If you use a buck converter (say a Cui V78-1000) then you will be dissipating (5*(1-.88))=.6 watts while delivering 5 watts to your load. Total power drain for that device - 5.6 watts.

But yes, technically you can still just use a regulator.

Comment

• kb1003
                        • Nov 2015

Would it be more beneficial to run the entire system off of 24 volts?

Comment

• jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

Looks like your highest voltage load is 24 volts. Since it's generally easier to buck than to boost, then there might be a small advantage there.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Yes sir.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...