Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taube
    • Nov 2015

Ok, here is my set up.. I bought the 45 watt hf set (I'm just gEttinger started).. using 400w inverter. Powering a wifi camera, wifi range extender, 24/7, and a total of about 60 watts of led lights on top of it at night.. shopping for batteries. Here are the 3 options I'm looking at.. 2 trojan 105 6v $114x2 , 1 scs200 trojan 12v $146, or 2 duracell sligc110 6v $80x2.. which would be best choice in batteries?? Thankyou
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Taube
    Ok, here is my set up.. I bought the 45 watt hf set (I'm just gEttinger started).. using 400w inverter. Powering a wifi camera, wifi range extender, 24/7, and a total of about 60 watts of led lights on top of it at night.. shopping for batteries. Here are the 3 options I'm looking at.. 2 trojan 105 6v $114x2 , 1 scs200 trojan 12v $146, or 2 duracell sligc110 6v $80x2.. which would be best choice in batteries?? Thankyou
    With only 45W of nominal panel power you do not have enough for more than about a 45AH 12V battery set.
    The Harbor Fright kit is pretty much universally acknowledged as worthless.

Until you have actually measured the power use of your load equipment you will not have the necessary starting point for designing a system.
    The nominal power figure for the camera and range extender will be an upper limit on the power needs, but since your loads will be running 24/7 you really need a more accurate figure.
    Get a KillAWatt or similar power and energy meter.

BTW, welcome to Solar Panel Talk!
    Last edited by inetdog; 11-01-2015, 03:40 PM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Taube
      • Nov 2015

Ya, I have learned that the hf set isn't the greatest, but I picked it up for $130 to play with.. just trying to make most of it.. right now I'm just trying an interstate marine deep cycle but want to get away from that..

Comment

• Living Large
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Taube
        Ya, I have learned that the hf set isn't the greatest, but I picked it up for $130 to play with.. just trying to make most of it.. right now I'm just trying an interstate marine deep cycle but want to get away from that..
        One important thing that you learned already is that the three battery choices you were considering are all oversized, from two to four times. This means you won't be able to charge the battery at the correct rate, which can lead to premature failure. Also, that you need to start designing a solar system by determining your daily consumption. Good luck!

Comment

Working...