Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gaff
    • Oct 2015

12/4 SOOW cord in conduit?

Hello - I did a quick search for an answer to my question and didn't see anything applicable so I thought I would post to the forum.

I am installing eight 280W solarworld modules with enphase M250 micro-inverters. The end of the enphase trunk cable is connected at a junction box to 12/4 SOOW. The SOOW cord will then run about 24 inches across the roof to where it will enter the attic.

My question is - does the the 24" run need to be protected in conduit to meet code requirements? I live in Sandwich, Massachusetts. I would like to avoid the conduit as I think the black cord will blend in to the roof nicer.

Thanks!
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Gaff
    Hello - I did a quick search for an answer to my question and didn't see anything applicable so I thought I would post to the forum.

I am installing eight 280W solarworld modules with enphase M250 micro-inverters. The end of the enphase trunk cable is connected at a junction box to 12/4 SOOW. The SOOW cord will then run about 24 inches across the roof to where it will enter the attic.

My question is - does the the 24" run need to be protected in conduit to meet code requirements? I live in Sandwich, Massachusetts. I would like to avoid the conduit as I think the black cord will blend in to the roof nicer.

Thanks!
    I will answer you with the regulations in the National Electrical Code rather than arguments about what is safe or not safe.

1. SOOW and other flexible cord types are not listed for installation in conduit.
    2. Flexible cords such as SOOW are not allowed to be used in place of or as part of the permanently installed building wiring. Period. And especially not for going through ceilings, walls or floors. They are to be used for temporary wiring or where their flexibility is required, such as for vibrating machinery or machinery that is moved regularly.

You can run PV wire without conduit as long as it is not "exposed to physical damage", but that might not work out any better for you. Where the wire penetrates the roof it must be in some sort of conduit or sheath.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Thanks!
      Unfortunately you can't use an SOOW rated flexible cord for any type of permanent wiring, along with many other places according to the NEC Article 400.

And according to NEC Article 690 the only place you might be able to use that type cable for a PV system is if they were powering a tracking system.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

I would like to avoid the conduit as I think the black cord will blend in to the roof nicer.
        In addition to what others have said, there is nothing wrong with painting the conduit black. Better to use single conductors with appropriate insulation for rooftop temperatures... if in conduit, THWN-2 is a conventional choice. You may be able to transition to standard NM cable once inside the house, if you'd like.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Gaff
          • Oct 2015

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I will be doing a bit of rewiring to remove the 12-4SOOW. I would like to stay with sheathed cable - any recommendations for an exterior 12-4?

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by sensij
            In addition to what others have said, there is nothing wrong with painting the conduit black. Better to use single conductors with appropriate insulation for rooftop temperatures... if in conduit, THWN-2 is a conventional choice. You may be able to transition to standard NM cable once inside the house, if you'd like.
            You can only transition to NM for DC to a string inverter if it is after a fused disconnect. With microinverters and AC coming in, I think that you would just have to be careful to protect it from physical damage, including not running it along the bottom of the roof sheathing.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Gaff
              • Oct 2015

Glad I posted - I received some valuable information. I purchased some liquid tight non metallic tubing and connectors will be running THHN 12 AWG wire in the tubing. Thank you again to those who took the time to reply.

Comment

• Naptown
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2011

Most manufactures dual rate THHN-2 with THWN2
                Make sure your wire is dual rated
                THWN is hard to come by at least on the east coast.
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Gaff
                  • Oct 2015

Rich - the wire says "CU Type MTW THWN OR THNN OR GASOLINE AND OIL RESISTANT II" Brand is Southwire - purchased at Home Depot.

Comment

• sensij
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

Rich - the wire says "CU Type MTW THWN OR THNN OR GASOLINE AND OIL RESISTANT II" Brand is Southwire - purchased at Home Depot.
                    Yes, that is appropriate to use in rooftop conduit application.
                    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• wirechamp
                      • Oct 2017

Installing SOOW cable in a conduit is a violation of the National Electrical Code Article 400.8. SOOW is rated

Comment

Working...