No announcement yet.

Odyssey delays new chargers from October to December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PNJ I am not disputing what you are saying. What I am saying as you well know it is a Uni-Tasker or One Trick Pony.You yourself have what I am talking about, a charger that can charge any battery type of today and tomorrow from a single cell AAA NiMh up to 8S 400AH lithium and everything in between.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

The trick pony is necessary to meet the needs of the unknown battery conditions it will face, and a bevy of safety features that the non-battery-geek guys need.

I see a need for them - as long as they meet spec, and actually do things smart - like NOT putting in the obligatory usb port that only handle 500ma, overloads, and takes out the logic board of the entire charger.

Comment

Interesting new algorithm!

Taking a look at the algorithm in the chart, I see something really interesting!

Other than the testing features, um stages, the common bulk and absorb is there. I'm assuming .05C (C/100) for each charger's amperage to trigger the end of absorb, aka conditioning. For the consumer who might get confused, this may be good enough.

There is no "float" to be seen in the chart as we know it, which under normal circumstances, no matter how fast you charge, needs 8-16 hours of float at 13.6v on average to really get it fully charged. THIS is the major bug-a-boo for ANY sealed Pb battery, not just Odyssey. Go to float too soon, or pull it off float too early, and you don't have a fully charged battery.

(Note that I'm talking about a true CV float, and NOT a commonly damaging CC low-current "trickle" - there is a difference! )

A workaround for no float is to go to C/1000, .005C in absorb, but older batteries may never make it, and again the time constraint is still there. I don't think, but am not sure, they are trying to attempt this. Brand new batteries are one thing - unknown conditions in the field are another.

But instead of a classic float, we have a pulsed "auto maintain", which according to the chart is a return to absorb - but the duration and duty cycle is unknown. Fascinating - and especially IF it seems to be a safer alternative to the IUI protocol - dunno'. Until tested, my suspicion is that it would be best to at least get 8 hours of this auto-maintain oscillating replacement for float in.

The oscillating float, er auto-maintain may also be beneficial to help balance any cells that need to be brought up.

The storage reconditioning appears to be an even more rapid return to absorb duty cycle, but this time drawn with triangle waves, indicating very rapid pwm with a very limited or non-existent duration.

At the end, a good note about being able to use 0.2C for NON-CYCLIC duties can be seen. Basically, you'll have enough time to finish the job which will take more than just overnight if you really want to do it right under this circumstance.

I don't see any provision for external or ambient temp-comp. Perhaps ambient is in there. Or perhaps this is not super critical with an oscillating float, er auto-maintain stage - unknown to me.

Anyway, that's what I see just from the consumer level chart. Actual specs may differ. It would be interesting to see how this performs. Maybe they are awaiting CEC approval or something like that.

I'm sure it will do well on my Odysseys, and my Optima's too, but it will be hard to drag me from my bench power supply.

Comment

Working...
        X