X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • createthis
    • Sep 2015

Logging Watt Meter?

Hello,

I recently thought it would be pretty cool to log the output of my PV system over time so I can analyze the data later in the form of graphs, etc. I could even do this at multiple points in the system. For example, I could have one logger inserted between the panels and the charge controller and another between the battery and the load.

Pretty sure I could make this happen using an Arduino with a voltage sensor and a hall effect current sensor. However, before I re-invent the wheel, are there commercial products that do this too? My google searches aren't turning up much. Recommendations appreciated.

--
    Jesse
    CreateThis.com
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by createthis
    Pretty sure I could make this happen using an Arduino with a voltage sensor and a hall effect current sensor. However, before I re-invent the wheel, are there commercial products that do this too? My google searches aren't turning up much. Recommendations appreciated.
    TED5000 and pvoutput.org

TED5000 generates the data.

pvoutput is donation-ware website that can take data from TED (and other devices) and create nice graphs like:
    pvoutA.jpgpvoutB.jpg

PVoutput can take data from a number of sources.
    It's "autoupload" list is probably a good starting point for what devices can do the monitoring.

Comment

• createthis
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by foo1bar
      TED5000 and pvoutput.org

TED5000 generates the data.

pvoutput is donation-ware website that can take data from TED (and other devices) and create nice graphs like:
      [ATTACH]7800[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7801[/ATTACH]

PVoutput can take data from a number of sources.
      It's "autoupload" list is probably a good starting point for what devices can do the monitoring.

http://pvoutput.org/help.html#autoupload
      Interesting. The TED5000 doesn't get very good reviews, however. Do you use one? What are your experiences with it?

Comment

• DanKegel
        Banned
        • Sep 2014

I have a really old TED. It mostly works, and I've gotten good-looking data out of it, but it seemed to have bad data points every once in a while.
        No show-stoppers.

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by createthis
          Interesting. The TED5000 doesn't get very good reviews, however. Do you use one? What are your experiences with it?
          I have one.
          I'm happy with it.
          I was very concerned about the powerline communication not being successful... The 4 MTUs are out at my main panel. The gateway is on the house subpanel. So it has to go through more breakers and longer wire.
          I did have to switch to a different outlet because the first one I tried wasn't on the correct phase.

But since then I think it's been communicating properly with the MTUs.

Occassionally I see drop-outs - I think maybe once a week pvoutput has a datapoint where it says I was producing 0W. And on either side of that 5 minute datapoint it says 4kW - so it probably winds up being inaccurate by ~0.5kwh/week. I think that's the communication with pvoutput - but I'm not positive.

I did not get the display unit for inside the house. I see some of the amazon reviews are complaining about that.

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

You might want to look a EGauge, EKM Metering (which I use), or Wattnode. Keep in mind that if the system doesn't explicitly state revenue grade (<1% error), it won't be.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...