Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuntman
    • Apr 2015

SolarEdge SE10000 - US freezing up?

I have had my SolarEdge system for less than a month and have had 3 occasions now where the system appears to freeze up. The LED display that shows you current power numbers, among a thousand other little bits of information as you cycle through screen to screen, will at random times.. so far, about once a week.. it will randomly just turn on the backlight to a blank screen.. and stay stuck there.. the Production light goes off and for all intents and purposes sits dead in the water..

The only way to get it back is to shut down the entire system.. all the way to the Utilities breaker.. then the system will 'wake up' again, repair with each optimizer and start humming along again..

During this time I get no updates to the Gateway, but the inverter fans continue to run...

Anybody experience anything like this?

Installer says it all looks 'fine'.. which it does, after I reboot the system... I finally took some video of the system while it was in this state.. no response from installers or solaredge about that yet...

It happens when I'm away, of course.. and as far as I know I don't get any power generated while it is like that...

• Mdm99
    • Dec 2014

Call SE, they can monitor your inverter remotely

Comment

• SanDiego_installer
      • Oct 2013

Is your system monitored? Doesn't sound like it, otherwise you could tell if you have gaps in energy production.

Comment

• skipro3
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2015

You should have an owner account that you can log onto the Solaredge monitoring portal and see the generation history.

But, regarding your problem; If it were mine, after getting a response like you have from the installer and the manufacturer, I'd open that inverter and crash it. Meaning, I'd make it fail and hard so it has to be replaced. You tried to play by the rules; involving your installer who you paid big money to handle problems, and the manufacturer who is ignoring you so far. After it fails hard, call and tell them the inverter's on it's ass and to get out there and fix it now.

Comment

• solar_newbie
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by skipro3
          You should have an owner account that you can log onto the Solaredge monitoring portal and see the generation history.

But, regarding your problem; If it were mine, after getting a response like you have from the installer and the manufacturer, I'd open that inverter and crash it. Meaning, I'd make it fail and hard so it has to be replaced. You tried to play by the rules; involving your installer who you paid big money to handle problems, and the manufacturer who is ignoring you so far. After it fails hard, call and tell them the inverter's on it's ass and to get out there and fix it now.
          The installer will not warranty if you made and change in the system . They can refuse you if seeing the inverter is opened.

Comment

• skipro3
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2015

The idea is to not make it obvious you did anything, but that an intermittent trouble is now a hard failure. Besides, unless it's in the contract that you, the owner of the inverter, can't open the inverter, then there's no merit to stipulating that the installer will void the warranty. If there was such language, I'd make sure it was removed before signing.

Comment

• solar pete
              Administrator
              • May 2014

Originally posted by skipro3

BAD ADVICE ALERT, not only is doing this very dangerous but it will void your warranty, skipro3 please dont promote dangerous practices here, if you keep doing it you will be shown the door

Comment

• skipro3
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2015

Please feel free to delete anything that you think might cause someone to hurt themselves.

As far as voiding warranty, what good is this man's warranty when the installer and the manufacturer bury their head in the sand over his problem anyway?

Cheers!

Comment

• Spanjet
                  • Sep 2015

Is wireless monitoring included in the SolarEdge inverters or is it an add on?

Comment

• skipro3
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Spanjet

It's an add-on, but doesn't work worth a darn. Mine anyway. Keeps shutting down. I removed it and installed a wireless client to the LAN port on the inverter. I got the client off Amazon for less than $20. I won't go into how I installed it as you have to open the inverter to access the LAN port and I don't want to encourage anyone to do anything that might be beyond their technical ability here.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Spanjet
                      Free monitoring is included but not wirelessly. There is a zigbee repeater that solarEdge sells but every inverter has an Ethernet port built in so you can hardware it up. Just be sure to shut it down and disconnect both AC and DC before opening the cabinet.
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• solarix
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2015

Next time it happens, call 877-360-5292 to deal with SolarEdge directly. They will take care of you, even if your installer won't.
                        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...