Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeB
    • Jul 2015

Inverter question when batteries are fully charged

I have four 6v batteries in series with tracer mppt charge controller and 24v SK1500 Cotek inverter. This is in a cabin I usually stay 2 nights/week. When I arrived the other day the batteries were showing full charge and the inverter was indicating over voltage. I ran the circular saw to bring the batteries down. Is the over voltage doing damage to the inverter and if so how can I fix that besides being there more often. I thought the tracer would prevent an over voltage.

thanks,
    Mike
  • Stix
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by MikeB
    I have four 6v batteries in series with tracer mppt charge controller and 24v SK1500 Cotek inverter. This is in a cabin I usually stay 2 nights/week. When I arrived the other day the batteries were showing full charge and the inverter was indicating over voltage. I ran the circular saw to bring the batteries down. Is the over voltage doing damage to the inverter and if so how can I fix that besides being there more often. I thought the tracer would prevent an over voltage.

thanks,
    Mike

The tracer charge controller I had, I could not set the charge parameters. You could only pick flooded or agm. The controller just could not charge my batteries correctly and was ruining them. You could have the setting for what type of battery you're charging wrong. I had to send my tracer back as it would just never keep the batteries charged well enough for them to last no matter the setting. Once I got a controller to be able to set the charging parameters to manufacturer specs all was perfect.

Comment

• Silver_Is_Money
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

I see the same thing all the time. The Tracer charge controller is doing nothing more than charging the batteries in the 29 volt (plus change) range, but (by design) the Cotek inverter (per the manual) flashes a warning signal whenever it is exposed to voltages (from memory here) somewhere in the 28.7 volt and above range. Not much to worry about here from what I can tell.

What is to be worried about is that (also per the manual) this inverter will kick out at voltages greater than 30 volts. But since the Tracer never outputs 30 or more volts when charging the batteries there is little concern for this ever becoming a problem.

Comment

• Stix
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Silver_Is_Money
        I see the same thing all the time. The Tracer charge controller is doing nothing more than charging the batteries in the 29 volt (plus change) range, but (by design) the Cotek inverter (per the manual) flashes a warning signal whenever it is exposed to voltages (from memory here) somewhere in the 28.7 volt and above range. Not much to worry about here from what I can tell.

What is to be worried about is that (also per the manual) this inverter will kick out at voltages greater than 30 volts. But since the Tracer never outputs 30 or more volts when charging the batteries there is little concern for this ever becoming a problem.
        The problem is the charge controller is not giving the right voltages. Mine always said batteries were charged..... But a SG test said they were almost dead.
        Last edited by Mike90250; 08-30-2015, 01:55 AM. Reason: corrected typo

Comment

• Stix
          • Jun 2015

For some reason I cannot edit post meant SG reading.

Comment

• Silver_Is_Money
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Stix
            The problem is the charge controller is not giving the right voltages. Mine always said batteries were charged..... But a SG said they were almost dead.
            The battery bank voltages that my Tracer's digital display indicates have been dead-on accurate whenever I have checked them with my multi-meter.

Comment

• Stix
              • Jun 2015

The battery bank voltages that my Tracer's digital display indicates have been dead-on accurate whenever I have checked them with my multi-meter.
              And there lies the problem. Voltage does not equate full charge. SG does. My voltage said batteries were charges. The SG said they were near dead. Change charge controllers so I could control charging voltages for bulk/absorb/float/EQ and be able to set end amps or time in absorb/EQ and my batteries voltage and SG were back to specs.

Comment

• MikeB
                • Jul 2015

And there lies the problem. Voltage does not equate full charge. SG does. My voltage said batteries were charges. The SG said they were near dead. Change charge controllers so I could control charging voltages for bulk/absorb/float/EQ and be able to set end amps or time in absorb/EQ and my batteries voltage and SG were back to specs.
                Thanks for the answers. I'm pretty sure my batteries were fully charged as I have a small fridge running and also used several power tools within an hour and the voltage reading never dropped below 24.6. I did check to make sure the controller was on flooded setting. From the replies I gather it's best to have an hydrometer to monitor the specific gravity. Ive never used one to check battery charge...any suggestions on what to get are greatly appreciated.

Mike

Comment

• Stix
                  • Jun 2015

Yes my voltage during use read correctly. It is imperative to use a SG meter for true battery health get one with temp compensation. Amazon has a few. Check the reviews and get the best price.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by MikeB
                    From the replies I gather it's best to have an hydrometer to monitor the specific gravity. Ive never used one to check battery charge...any suggestions on what to get are greatly appreciated.
                    Voltage does not ell you anything, it is only a relative indication, and is only useful on a fully rested battery that is not connected to anything. Other than that voltage does not tell you squat. Only a Temperature Corrected Hydrometer can measure the True State of Charge in real time. .................................................. http://www.amazon.com/East-Penn-Temp.../dp/B0002KKTYU
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Silver_Is_Money
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Voltage does not ell you anything, it is only a relative indication, and is only useful on a fully rested battery that is not connected to anything. Other than that voltage does not tell you squat. Only a Temperature Corrected Hydrometer can measure the True State of Charge in real time.
                      How do those who have chosen AGM battery banks for their convenience and safety manage this issue?

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

How do those who have chosen AGM battery banks for their convenience and safety manage this issue?
                        Exact same way most people who have Flooded Batteries, they don't, they are just as ignorant. People think batteries are 12 volts, sit under the hood of a car, and something you replace every 2 to 4 years.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Silver_Is_Money
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2014

How frequently should FLA batteries be hydrometer inspected?

Comment

• Stix
                            • Jun 2015

How frequently should FLA batteries be hydrometer inspected?
                            How much are they cycled?

Comment

• Silver_Is_Money
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

How much are they cycled?
                              To between 20% and 25% discharged on most days.

Comment

Working...