X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gabor
    • Aug 2015

Simple, solar powered remote camera setup

Hello guys,
    first of all, I'm new in solar powered systems. I tried to research a lot, and before I purchase the parts, I would like to ask the pros

I'm thinking on a very simple setup for a remote camera system. I would like to a Tycoon Power TP-Scope-1224 charge controller, Ubnt NanoBeam NBE-M5-19 5Ghz wifi AP, and a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Network Camera. Total consumption is only about 15W.
    I would like to use the station ONLY daytime, night time it can be off.
    For the power supply, I'm thinking to use Monocrystalline Solar Panel 100W + 12V 17A deep cycle lead-acid battery.

The solar panel: http://world.taobao.com/item/5202499....KgAEAh#detail

My question is: do you think this system could work in a full cloud covered day or even in fog? Is this panel is big enough to produce stable power supply even in weak conditions?

Thank you!
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by gabor
    Total consumption is only about 15W.
    That would work. I would assume that it is 15W -per hour-, and you are basing it on a sticker rating. A measured rating might actually be less. I'm also assuming you are using an inverter, and as such get one that is high efficiency and a PSW or pure-sine-wave inverter. Samlex inverters do very well. Get a small one, and not a large one to keep efficiency up and turn it OFF when not in use.

For the power supply, I'm thinking to use Monocrystalline Solar Panel 100W + 12V 17A deep cycle lead-acid battery.
    A 17A little agm battery (again assuming agm which is typical) will only withstand 0.3C continuous current before developing hot spots. If your panel is *perfect* or actually is under-spec'ed a little, I'd use a slightly larger battery. Shown in the add is a description for 100w, yet the pic shows 150w.

Instead of being on the edge, use a 22-26ah battery. Do NOT use GEL. Be sure to set your charge controller properly for 14.4-14.8v absorb.

My question is: do you think this system could work in a full cloud covered day or even in fog? Is this panel is big enough to produce stable power supply even in weak conditions?
    No panel does well under these conditions. For instance, when you just barely start to see shadows, your panel is operating somewhere near 1/10th the current output. So instead of 5.5A under best conditions, that would drop to about 500ma in *bright* fog.

Under these conditions, and with a 17ah battery, you'll only get about 6 hours of operation (in the dark) before you need to pull the switch to stop the battery from discharging below 50% DOD, or half-charge if you want any sort of life out of it. Daytime, you should have no problem.

Use a slightly larger battery, and under less than ideal conditions, it will still have half a chance to get some sort of charge.

Ideally you'll want to know your solar-insolation-hours (different from just sunrise-to-sunset), but from this distance, this is about the best we can do winging it, unless you really want to spend a lot of $$$.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

I'm thinking on a very simple setup for a remote camera system. I would like to a Tycoon Power TP-Scope-1224 charge controller, Ubnt NanoBeam NBE-M5-19 5Ghz wifi AP, and a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Network Camera. Total consumption is only about 15W.
      I would like to use the station ONLY daytime, night time it can be off.

The solar panel: http://world.taobao.com/item/5202499....KgAEAh#detail
      I suppose the equipment can be directly powered by 12VDC? My own approach would be to use a rather
      large but economical grid tie panel (300W) that would be able to produce the 15W even under most clouds.
      No charge controller or troublesome battery, just a 1.5A DC - DC converter set for 12V output. Bruce Roe

Comment

• gabor
        • Aug 2015

Yes, no inverter planned, they will get the power directly from the charge controller. The UBNT AP needs 24V Power over Ethernet, and the camera needs 12V. That's why I choose that charge controller:

--
        Tycon Power Systems POE/Solar charge controllers have dual inputs to charge batteries from a POE source and also a secondary source like solar panels in order to provide redundancy and insure 100% uptime for critical applications. The solar input can handle up to 8A. The POE input up to 2.5A. They have a built in POE inserter that delivers 24V 1.25A at the POE out port. They also have a secondary wire terminal 12V 1.5A output. They have full electronic protections for short circuit, reverse current, overvoltage, overcharge and over discharge.
        --

300W panels are needs lots of space, and we would like to mount it to the top of the pole. And I think the controller won't handle 300W, specifiactions are here: http://tyconpower.com/products/files...Spec_Sheet.pdf
        It seems to me, I should get a bigger battery and a timer switch which turns everything off at night? What do you think about this option?

Thank you everyone!!!

Comment

• PNjunction
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

Yes, no inverter planned, they will get the power directly from the charge controller.
          Your system needs *stable* power, and a charge controller without a battery certainly is not that. A common newbie mistake is trying to measure the output of a controller without a battery, and then assuming the charge controller is faulty when they see no output.

Trying to run a controller without a battery is one of the first things that many newcomers do to try and outsmart the manufacturers. It won't work - but for an educational experience, go ahead and try it.

Charge controllers are designed specifically to have a battery attached, not attached directly to an electronic load. Electronic loads are attached to the battery itself. You attach the battery to the charge controller first, and the panel last.

Stick to your original plan of the 17ah+ battery.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by PNjunction
            Your system needs *stable* power, and a charge controller without a battery certainly is not that. A common newbie mistake is trying to measure the output of a controller without a battery, and then assuming the charge controller is faulty when they see no output. Trying to run a controller without a battery is one of the first things that many newcomers do to try and outsmart the manufacturers. It won't work - but for an educational experience, go ahead and try it. Charge controllers are designed specifically to have a battery attached, not attached directly to an electronic load. Electronic loads are attached to the battery itself. You attach the battery to the charge controller first, and the panel last. Stick to your original plan of the 17ah+ battery.
            If you look at the spec sheet for that Tycon unit it allows you to wire a solar panel and battery directly to it which then allows you to power a camera. It looks like it charges the battery and changes the panel DC voltage to the 12v that the camera uses. Looks like a pretty neat little device.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Yes, no inverter planned, they will get the power directly from the charge controller. The UBNT AP needs 24V Power over Ethernet, and the camera needs 12V. That's why I choose that charge controller:

Tycon Power Systems POE/Solar charge controllers have dual inputs to charge batteries from a POE source and also a secondary source like solar panels in order to provide redundancy and insure 100% uptime for critical applications. The solar input can handle up to 8A. The POE input up to 2.5A. They have a built in POE inserter that delivers 24V 1.25A at the POE out port. They also have a secondary wire terminal 12V 1.5A output. They have full electronic protections for short circuit, reverse current, overvoltage, overcharge and over discharge.

300W panels are needs lots of space, and we would like to mount it to the top of the pole. And I think the controller won't handle 300W, specifiactions are here: http://tyconpower.com/products/files...Spec_Sheet.pdf
              It seems to me, I should get a bigger battery and a timer switch which turns everything off at night? What do you think about this option?
              You didn't give a location, so we can't guess your weather or insolation. The exact power .
              needed by the system needs to be determined.

If you use a battery, you have added a relatively high maintenance item to the system, and
              the charge controller will be much more expensive than a simple converter or 2. You will
              need to turn the equipment on and off; a photocell detector would do it. A timer would
              need frequent resetting, to track the seasons and any disturbance that comes along.

Eventually a long stretch of bad weather will flatten the battery; perhaps a battery that
              won't be damaged by that could be used. What's in those solar garden lights that only
              last a few hours each night?

An oversized panel without battery will probably manage to remain operational indefinitely.
              Even if it gets covered with snow and drops out, no damage will be done without a battery.
              On-Off is automatic. Bruce Roe

Comment

• gabor
                • Aug 2015

Okey, thank you very much your comments, they makes sense. The location is Dali, Yunnan, China. I would say 3-4 sunny hours a day average, usually cloudy in the afternoon.

Comment

• gabor
                  • Aug 2015

Hi Bruce, can you show me this DC converters please? They convert from any Voltage what the solar panel produces to stable 12V and 24V? I can't find them...
                  I just connect the DC converters input to the solar, and the output to my devices? Sounds very easy and simple! I can make this happen with a 250 or 300W panel, let's see how is it works, and later even can upgrade to a solar controller + battery version, i think!
                  Thanks!

Originally posted by bcroe
                  You didn't give a location, so we can't guess your weather or insolation. The exact power .
                  needed by the system needs to be determined.

If you use a battery, you have added a relatively high maintenance item to the system, and
                  the charge controller will be much more expensive than a simple converter or 2. You will
                  need to turn the equipment on and off; a photocell detector would do it. A timer would
                  need frequent resetting, to track the seasons and any disturbance that comes along.

Eventually a long stretch of bad weather will flatten the battery; perhaps a battery that
                  won't be damaged by that could be used. What's in those solar garden lights that only
                  last a few hours each night?

An oversized panel without battery will probably manage to remain operational indefinitely.
                  Even if it gets covered with snow and drops out, no damage will be done without a battery.
                  On-Off is automatic. Bruce Roe

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Generating low power under clouds

Hi Bruce, can you show me this DC converters please? They convert from
                    any Voltage what the solar panel produces to stable 12V and 24V? I can't find them...
                    I just connect the DC converters input to the solar, and the output to my devices? Sounds very easy and simple! I can make this happen with a 250 or 300W panel, let's see how is it works, and later even can upgrade to a solar controller + battery version, i think!
                    Take a look at DC - DC converters on Eb*y, for example this 2A adjustable output voltage item number
                    161476280982 There are plenty of versions of this very efficient buck converter available. I would
                    operate them at less than half the rated current for reliability; check your input and output current &
                    voltage ratings against the job.

A 250W panel is probably the best W/$ deal and perhaps a closer voltage match, check your exact
                    equipment power requirements.

If you need 2 voltages, check if the power rail is connected to system ground. The buck converters I
                    mentioned have a common negative terminal for input and output power, so 2 of them would have
                    the negatives tied together. If your equipment can't work that way, at least one of the converters
                    will need to have an isolated set of output leads; these are more expensive and somewhat less
                    efficient. This would also be true of a battery system. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• gabor
                      • Aug 2015

Hi Bruce, sorry, but I don't understand the issue with system ground. I attached a wiring plan, did you mean like that?
                      Yes, I need 2 voltages, and I don't know if my devices requires isolated leads or not, but if yes, what should I buy instead of the LM2596?

I read, this DC DC converterts needs minimum same+1,5V input voltage as output voltage. What if there is very less sun power, the panel will always provide enough voltage?

Thank you your comments, they are very helpful for me.

Take a look at DC - DC converters on Eb*y, for example this 2A adjustable output voltage item number
                      161476280982 There are plenty of versions of this very efficient buck converter available. I would
                      operate them at less than half the rated current for reliability; check your input and output current &
                      voltage ratings against the job.

A 250W panel is probably the best W/$ deal and perhaps a closer voltage match, check your exact
                      equipment power requirements.

If you need 2 voltages, check if the power rail is connected to system ground. The buck converters I
                      mentioned have a common negative terminal for input and output power, so 2 of them would have
                      the negatives tied together. If your equipment can't work that way, at least one of the converters
                      will need to have an isolated set of output leads; these are more expensive and somewhat less
                      efficient. This would also be true of a battery system. good luck, Bruce Roe
                      Attached Files

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Hi Bruce, sorry, but I don't understand the issue with system ground. I attached a wiring plan, did you mean like that?
                        Yes, I need 2 voltages, and I don't know if my devices requires isolated leads or not, but if yes, what should I buy instead of the LM2596?

I read, this DC DC converterts needs minimum same+1,5V input voltage as output voltage. What if there
                        is very less sun power, the panel will always provide enough voltage?
                        First, you originally said the system would only need 15W. 24V X 0.8A = 19.2W, 12V X 0.5A = 6W,
                        total 25.2W. If we increase that by 10% for converter losses, its 27.7W. So the panel would need
                        to deliver 10.7% of max rating, probably still OK. I would measure the real numbers which might
                        turn out to be a lot less.

The buck converter needs an input V at least 1.5V higher than the output V. Since your panel
                        has a Vmp of 31.2V, you are good. Turns out Vmp and Voc don't vary much with sun, but the
                        available current is about proportional. In operation the converters would take the current they
                        need while operating between Voc and Vmp. When the available sun can no longer supply the
                        needed 28W, PV voltage will drop below Vmp and the system will cease to supply needed
                        load power.

Note that your panel Voc is 38.5V. That may for 25 deg C. If you get a lot cooler, the Voc
                        will rise in a predictable way, probably over 40V. You need to be assured, that the converter
                        max input V is never exceeded by Voc.

Your drawing doesn't show everything, there is a signal cable from the camera to the radio.
                        I doubt its an isolated differential cable; more likely a coax cable. If the coax shield were
                        connected to the negative power lead on both units, you are good. If its connected to an
                        intermediate voltage,, your power will be trying to short out through this path. Maybe the
                        simplest method is to just use an isolated output (not buck) supply for the camera.

An isolated converter would be like Eb*y 391099150347, 12V 5W output out. I suspect
                        that is enough, though you had listed 6W. Since the input V range of this is a bit limited, it
                        could be powered by the output of the 24V supply. It might take more research to find a
                        perfect match; there are a lot more converters putting out isolated 5VDC. Maybe your
                        camera would be happy with the output of 2 of these seriesed for 10V. Bruce Roe

Comment

• gabor
                          • Aug 2015

Yes, I made a mistake in the very beginning with the calculations, thanks. Thank you for the detailed help, I will go trough this isolated converters. I will let you know, once I'm done, how is it works, if you are interested
                          Thanks,
                          Gabor

First, you originally said the system would only need 15W. 24V X 0.8A = 19.2W, 12V X 0.5A = 6W,
                          total 25.2W. If we increase that by 10% for converter losses, its 27.7W. So the panel would need
                          to deliver 10.7% of max rating, probably still OK. I would measure the real numbers which might
                          turn out to be a lot less.

The buck converter needs an input V at least 1.5V higher than the output V. Since your panel
                          has a Vmp of 31.2V, you are good. Turns out Vmp and Voc don't vary much with sun, but the
                          available current is about proportional. In operation the converters would take the current they
                          need while operating between Voc and Vmp. When the available sun can no longer supply the
                          needed 28W, PV voltage will drop below Vmp and the system will cease to supply needed
                          load power.

Note that your panel Voc is 38.5V. That may for 25 deg C. If you get a lot cooler, the Voc
                          will rise in a predictable way, probably over 40V. You need to be assured, that the converter
                          max input V is never exceeded by Voc.

Your drawing doesn't show everything, there is a signal cable from the camera to the radio.
                          I doubt its an isolated differential cable; more likely a coax cable. If the coax shield were
                          connected to the negative power lead on both units, you are good. If its connected to an
                          intermediate voltage,, your power will be trying to short out through this path. Maybe the
                          simplest method is to just use an isolated output (not buck) supply for the camera.

An isolated converter would be like Eb*y 391099150347, 12V 5W output out. I suspect
                          that is enough, though you had listed 6W. Since the input V range of this is a bit limited, it
                          could be powered by the output of the 24V supply. It might take more research to find a
                          perfect match; there are a lot more converters putting out isolated 5VDC. Maybe your
                          camera would be happy with the output of 2 of these seriesed for 10V. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...