X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just signed a 4.6kW systems...

Thank you outie and thejq for your valuable inputs and feedbacks. I pulled a trigger for this system size at 4.6kW, 15 LG305 panels, 1 SE with the optimizer yesterday. I went with a 12 yrs loan term for now at 2.99%. Also submitted to the HOA for the approval. I will be the first resident to go green in the community and hoping that the HOA will get the paper rolling without any issue nor delay.

Originally posted by newe70 View Post
    Thank you outie and thejq for your valuable inputs and feedbacks. I pulled a trigger for this system size at 4.6kW, 15 LG305 panels, 1 SE with the optimizer yesterday. I went with a 12 yrs loan term for now at 2.99%. Also submitted to the HOA for the approval. I will be the first resident to go green in the community and hoping that the HOA will get the paper rolling without any issue nor delay.
    You're welcome. Looks like you picked a solid combination. Hope all goes well with your installation. Come back and share your experience when done.
    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

cool sounds like you went into this with your eyes wide open, and your going to get a good result, nice work.

Comment

Thank you solarpete for recommended the website also. I forgot to share the system cost...it was at $3.53/W. Not the greatest price, but I really this installer's presentation, no rushing and pushing, took time to answer all of my questions and concerned.

Where do you guys install your SE inverter? I'm planing to mount the inverter inside my garage to give this electronic device a little tlc from the nature elements such as; direct sunlight, rain, temperature, and possible vandalism. Is there any issue with the temperature of the unit when you mounted inside the garage? Since there is less air circulation when the garage door is close most of the time?

Thank you much in advance for your feedbacks.

Comment

Thank you solarpete for recommended the website also. I forgot to share the system cost...it was at $3.53/W. Not the greatest price, but I really this installer's presentation, no rushing and pushing, took time to answer all of my questions and concerned.

Where do you guys install your SE inverter? I'm planing to mount the inverter inside my garage to give this electronic device a little tlc from the nature elements such as; direct sunlight, rain, temperature, and possible vandalism. Is there any issue with the temperature of the unit when you mounted inside the garage? Since there is less air circulation when the garage door is close most of the time?

Thank you much in advance for your feedbacks.
          FWIW, my inverter's in the garage, mostly for the same reasons you cite. It runs about 30 -35 deg. C. warmer than the ambient garage air temp. when under full load. My super duper high tech window fan under the inverter hookup usually lowers that to about 15 deg. C. delta T. or so.

A first approx. of my garage ambient air temp. is that it is about the same as the outside ambient. I usually run my high tech fan in the summer for about 6 hrs./day. The fan power draw is about 40 Watts. Probably not long term cost effective, but maybe things will be easier on the inverter over the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            FWIW, my inverter's in the garage, mostly for the same reasons you cite. It runs about 30 -35 deg. C. warmer than the ambient garage air temp. when under full load. My super duper high tech window fan under the inverter hookup usually lowers that to about 15 deg. C. delta T. or so.

A first approx. of my garage ambient air temp. is that it is about the same as the outside ambient. I usually run my high tech fan in the summer for about 6 hrs./day. The fan power draw is about 40 Watts. Probably not long term cost effective, but maybe things will be easier on the inverter over the long run.
            +1, yeah, I have it installed in the garage too with a computer case fan hooked up to a wall wart and mounted under the heat sink. When it's installed inside, you have a lot of options to cool it down. Not so many (and probably more expensive) if it's outside.
            16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

My 3000 w solaredge inverter is outside on a south facing wall, with a little bit of protection from the 1 ft overhang of the roof eave. Highest delta T I've seen with respect to ambient is around 20 deg F. I've observed similar delta t on an outdoor, nw facing inverter with a larger array (4.8 kw). Especially on smaller inverters that rely on natural convection, i think you'll get better airflow outside unless you assist it as others have described.

i would suggest you install yours wherever it is most convenient, near the main service panel if possible.
              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Congratulations on the signing the contract. Hopefully your HOA is quick with the paperwork and you can get started soon before El nino comes through.

Comment

I would look into the laws of your state and verify if those laws specifically prevent HOA's from denying your install. There are about a dozen states in the US that absolutely 100% restrict HOA's from denying your install for any reason. The remaining states have the same laws, but allow the HOA to dictate where and how your array can be installed.

Comment

Originally posted by SolarFamilyGuy View Post
                    I would look into the laws of your state and verify if those laws specifically prevent HOA's from denying your install. There are about a dozen states in the US that absolutely 100% restrict HOA's from denying your install for any reason. The remaining states have the same laws, but allow the HOA to dictate where and how your array can be installed.
                    For CA: check the solar rights act. Briefly, HOA's cannot forbid solar arrays, but they can require prior approval and mandate changes to the install as long as they do not add > $1,000 to the cost or decrease performance by > 10%. There's more to it, so download the act and go to the Adams-Kessler website for more particulars.

Comment

For CA: check the solar rights act. Briefly, HOA's cannot forbid solar arrays, but they can require prior approval and mandate changes to the install as long as they do not add > $1,000 to the cost or decrease performance by > 10%. There's more to it, so download the act and go to the Adams-Kessler website for more particulars.

I read up on California laws about HOA's and they are basically the same as Washington but more specific. All I did for my HOA is write up a half page essay explaining the law and how it will be installed per Washington State health, safety, and regulatory requirements. I added the installers name, company, and reassured this would be installed by licensed installers and electricians. I also included a picture of a solar panel, a random home I found on the net of a home with solar panels on the roof, the sketch of my home from my installer, and a pdf copy of the Washington State law. My HOA squabbled for a few days and sent me a letter of approval specifically stating the law. Hint, hint!

Comment

I read up on California laws about HOA's and they are basically the same as Washington but more specific. All I did for my HOA is write up a half page essay explaining the law and how it will be installed per Washington State health, safety, and regulatory requirements. I added the installers name, company, and reassured this would be installed by licensed installers and electricians. I also included a picture of a solar panel, a random home I found on the net of a home with solar panels on the roof, the sketch of my home from my installer, and a pdf copy of the Washington State law. My HOA squabbled for a few days and sent me a letter of approval specifically stating the law. Hint, hint!
                        I spoke to the installer and he said he installed my new homes with solar systems in the HOA zones before. By California laws abt HOA, the HOA cannot deny and forbid any homeowners from going green. They have to and will approval, but some HOA might be more picky than the others. I have submitted the Architectural Approval forms with a copy of the panel arrays layout. She said it looks good and will send off the HOA committee later. I also have the installer contact my HOA Management group today. Will see what they will come back with next week or the next couple of weeks.

Comment

This is one of the most thoughtful approaches I have heard of with regard to an HOA or any business transaction in general....Kudos!!The psychology of this is that you want to get in front of their natural tendency to NOT want anything new (this is basic human nature) and also to not give them a chance to say no so then you are fighting an uphill battle and trying to get a group of folks (HOA) to change their mind on a previously taken stand....again basic human nature. By laying out all the objections and a case for the solution it makes their unwillingness to work with you seem well.......unreasonable....Well done!!

BTW, If I were a college professor (which I'm not) I would use this as a case study in either a Business negotiation or psychology class

Comment

Originally posted by paul65k View Post
                            This is one of the most thoughtful approaches I have heard of with regard to an HOA or any business transaction in general....Kudos!!The psychology of this is that you want to get in front of their natural tendency to NOT want anything new (this is basic human nature) and also to not give them a chance to say no so then you are fighting an uphill battle and trying to get a group of folks (HOA) to change their mind on a previously taken stand....again basic human nature. By laying out all the objections and a case for the solution it makes their unwillingness to work with you seem well.......unreasonable....Well done!!

BTW, If I were a college professor (which I'm not) I would use this as a case study in either a Business negotiation or psychology class
                            I'm the guy on my HOA ARCH. comm. that reviews and recommends home improvements to the Board, including all solar improvements in particular. Having been on HOA Boards before, and while respecting your opinion, my experience has been somewhat different. Boards are there for a reason. Usually HOA unprepared HOA members see a Board as an impediment to progress until one of their neighbors does something that they don't like and the Board needs to enforce a part of the CC & R's. Some board members are assholes. I've seen my share. They're everywhere. They need to be controlled and good boards do this. Like the guy who just resigned.

Question: How many folks do you think would like to have a 12 kW ground mounted array in their neighbor's front yard ? A bit extreme, but possible. Note some photos of roof mounted arrays with high tilt angles as they have appeared on this forum. Think they are aesthetically pleasing ? Who is responsible for controlling such things ? YUP - The HOA Board. Watch how quickly a Board gets sued for malfeasance if crap like that is allowed.

Contrary to what you may think, most folks on HOA Boards are not there to say no. Think about it : If nothing else, that only makes more work for them. Human nature is basically lazy. No one wants unnecessary work and most (but by no means all) folks would rather get along, or at least avoid unnecessary conflict. If things are done that are contrary to the governing documents, the Boards have a fiduciary responsibility to enforce the CC & R's and address the situation for the good of the entire membership.

This is more non rocket science. Usually, most problems arise because folks are either ignorant of the governing CC & R's or ignore them. A quick check with the Board or the HOA office will probably give all the information necessary. Unfortunately, that usually involves some work on the part of the homeowner. Being proactive avoids a lot of hassles. If someone enquires in advance rather than waits until a crisis is generated, they usually find Boards can actually be a project facilitator.

Do as you wish, but if you approach a Board with an attitude, you'll probably get one back. In CA anyway, that may not be the best approach. Like it or not, if it comes to a battle, Boards have more weapons in the fight and more ammo.

Knowledge is power. Be or get prepared. Read and know the governing documents before you start a project. COMMUNICATE ! It'll avoid a lot of problems. If you treat people with respect and fairness, you usually get the same in return.

Like it or not, if you are in an HOA, you sign on to a set of governing documents when you buy your home. By doing so, you accept responsibility to know what the rules are and abide by them.

FWIW: I'm of the opinion that HOA's have become an anachronism. They work when people care about the community they live in and are willing to accept a certain amount of reasonably well defined restriction(s) on their absolute freedom to do what they want for reasons they consider desirable and reasonable. Those who do not see it that way are free to not live in such communities. Additionally, those living in such communities are free to work for change within the HOA - get on Boards, get involved to change CC & R's and make it a place more to one's liking. The lack of involvement prevalent today is but another reason why the HOA concept is something who's time has probably come and gone. In the meantime, no one has their feet chained to the ground in an HOA, and folks are not being forced to live in them.

Comment

I'm the guy on my HOA ARCH. comm. that reviews and recommends home improvements to the Board, including all solar improvements in particular. Having been on HOA Boards before, and while respecting your opinion, my experience has been somewhat different. Boards are there for a reason. Usually HOA unprepared HOA members see a Board as an impediment to progress until one of their neighbors does something that they don't like and the Board needs to enforce a part of the CC & R's. Some board members are assholes. I've seen my share. They're everywhere. They need to be controlled and good boards do this. Like the guy who just resigned. Question: How many folks do you think would like to have a 12 kW ground mounted array in their neighbor's front yard ? A bit extreme, but possible. Note some photos of roof mounted arrays with high tilt angles as they have appeared on this forum. Think they are aesthetically pleasing ? Who is responsible for controlling such things ? YUP - The HOA Board. Watch how quickly a Board gets sued for malfeasance if crap like that is allowed. Contrary to what you may think, most folks on HOA Boards are not there to say no. Think about it : If nothing else, that only makes more work for them. Human nature is basically lazy. No one wants unnecessary work and most (but by no means all) folks would rather get along, or at least avoid unnecessary conflict. If things are done that are contrary to the governing documents, the Boards have a fiduciary responsibility to enforce the CC & R's and address the situation for the good of the entire membership. This is more non rocket science. Usually, most problems arise because folks are either ignorant of the governing CC & R's or ignore them. A quick check with the Board or the HOA office will probably give all the information necessary. Unfortunately, that usually involves some work on the part of the homeowner. Being proactive avoids a lot of hassles. If someone enquires in advance rather than waits until a crisis is generated, they usually find Boards can actually be a project facilitator. Do as you wish, but if you approach a Board with an attitude, you'll probably get one back. In CA anyway, that may not be the best approach. Like it or not, if it comes to a battle, Boards have more weapons in the fight and more ammo. Knowledge is power. Be or get prepared. Read and know the governing documents before you start a project. COMMUNICATE ! It'll avoid a lot of problems. If you treat people with respect and fairness, you usually get the same in return. Like it or not, if you are in an HOA, you sign on to a set of governing documents when you buy your home. By doing so, you accept responsibility to know what the rules are and abide by them. FWIW: I'm of the opinion that HOA's have become an anachronism. They work when people care about the community they live in and are willing to accept a certain amount of reasonably well defined restriction(s) on their absolute freedom to do what they want for reasons they consider desirable and reasonable. Those who do not see it that way are free to not live in such communities. Additionally, those living in such communities are free to work for change within the HOA - get on Boards, get involved to change CC & R's and make it a place more to one's liking. The lack of involvement prevalent today is but another reason why the HOA concept is something who's time has probably come and gone. In the meantime, no one has their feet chained to the ground in an HOA, and folks are not being forced to live in them.
                              I just gotta respond here because I think we are in Violent agreement I didn't get from SolarFamilyGuy's post that his submission was at all adversarial but simply laying out what his plan was, what it would likely look like and what the statutes are that are in place from a regulatory standpoint that the HOA may (or may not) be aware of.

My experience is that most HOA's and especially "Professional" property managers (and I use this term loosely) rarely even know what the statutory regulations are never mind that many are not even that up to speed on what the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (C,C&R's) of a particular property actually iare so helping by stating statute is not at all unhelpful.

I too have sat on may HOA boards, I've actually been the president of 3 separate HOA's over the past 30 years, one where I presided over a $8M Builder deficiency lawsuit over the course of a 6 year period (2 actually) where we ultimately prevailed.....and will never forget being blasted by one or 2 homeowners after we settled after spending I don't know how many hours in Depositions, Settlement Conferences, etc proving that no good deed goes unpunished ... So in the whole scheme of things little issues like Architectural Committee Hearings are peanuts honestly.

In closing I was simply stating my admiration for the thoughtful approach based on the post I read......I don't know all of the specifics of course but if it was me coming to the HOA that I was presiding over and I had the "Asshole" that you mention sitting next to me at the table I always appreciated having a reference to any laws or statute that would keep us out of court while a the same time meeting ne overall needs of the community and the respective homeowners.My .02

Comment

Working...
                              X