Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vudu
    • Aug 2015

When the batteries float - trigger a load

I'd like for my system to turn the fans on in my shed automatically when the batteries are fully charged. I thought about using individual attic fans - but it would be nice to exercise my system during the hottest part of the day - when there is also the most energy available.

Is that crazy? Is there such a mechanism to do such a thing?

Thanks, Paul
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by vudu
    I'd like for my system to turn the fans on in my shed automatically when the batteries are fully charged. I thought about using individual attic fans - but it would be nice to exercise my system during the hottest part of the day - when there is also the most energy available.

Is that crazy? Is there such a mechanism to do such a thing?

Thanks, Paul
    Not crazy at all. Many CCs have a LOAD or AUX output which can be set to turn on at either a controllable or a factory preset voltage. In most cases this would be initially set for Absorb or configured as a Low Voltage Cutoff instead. Check the manual for your CC to see what options you have available. You would want to use this to control a relay rather than drive the fans directly, as the power handling capability of the LOAD or AUX output is usually very limited.
    If you are not so fortunate, you would need to find or build a voltage-controlled switch that you can wire into the fan circuit.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• vudu
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
      Not crazy at all. Many CCs have a LOAD or AUX output which can be set to turn on at either a controllable or a factory preset voltage. In most cases this would be initially set for Absorb or configured as a Low Voltage Cutoff instead. Check the manual for your CC to see what options you have available. You would want to use this to control a relay rather than drive the fans directly, as the power handling capability of the LOAD or AUX output is usually very limited.
      If you are not so fortunate, you would need to find or build a voltage-controlled switch that you can wire into the fan circuit.
      Much appreciate your help. Unfortunately, the controllers I have, even the new fancy mppt one has only rudimentary LOAD - functioning as a 'night light'. Pretty handy but not what I'm after. I'll look into voltage controlled switches (makes sense, lol, i'm very new to this) - sounds like what I'm after. Thanks again, Paul

Comment

Working...