5 cloudy days in a row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 cloudy days in a row

now my batteries are at 50%, im giving them 15.6v and the current is a trickle

Originally posted by almac View Post
    I feel your pain brother, my record is 14 days. It takes a lot out of you to deal with it. Even with the right equipment and set up ratios, you still end up dealing with Mother Nature doing her thing that has no rules.

Comment

Extended cloud cover will put a dent into anyone's plan relying on the sun to charge their battery system.

This is one reason some of us recommend 5 days of capacity to be built into the system and having a generator & charger to keep that system from going too low.

Comment

Originally posted by almac View Post
        Yea; we went 27 days in a row without seeing the sun in Dec. But output under clouds can be doubled
        by doubling the number of panels. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
          Yea; we went 27 days in a row without seeing the sun in Dec. But output under clouds can be doubled
          Ah, so by jacking up my array from 500 cloudy watts, to 1,000 cloudy watts, I just double my 5Kw array to 10Kw ?? Sweet. But no-go. I can buy a lot of off-road diesel for that price.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            Ah, so by jacking up my array from 500 cloudy watts, to 1,000 cloudy watts, I just double my 5Kw array to 10Kw ?? Sweet. But no-go. I can buy a lot of off-road diesel for that price.
            So now with long days of clouds energy storage becomes even more important. Unless we can change the weather to keep it sunny all the time.

Oh wait isn't that what our FEDS want to do concerning climate change?

Comment

That would double the size of the garage I have, since the panels are on the roof.

Comment

Cloudy Output

Originally posted by Living Large View Post
                That would double the size of the garage I have, since the panels are on the roof.
                One more point for ground mount. I suppose extra panels only bought me 400 extra KWH in Dec, but
                they bought me 800 extra in Feb. Bruce Roe

Comment

One more point for ground mount. I suppose extra panels only bought me 400 extra KWH in Dec, but
                  they bought me 800 extra in Feb. Bruce Roe
                  It would be great if I had the space for ground mount and didn't mind looking at them. I could turn my available space into a solar farm perhaps, but then there would be no yard and no way to get in and out of the property.

Comment

Working...
                  X