X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by lkruper
    That sounds good. I would like to get started without investing too much as my application is backup.
    On the generator sizing issue, some very basic battery chargers draw large peak currents at the peaks of the AC waveform. Some generators cannot handle this well even if they are capable of delivering the required average power.

PS: Another factor is that if the battery charger contains a step-down transformer (most will) and it is relatively lightly loaded compared to its full rated output the transformer primary winding will look like a large inductive load in parallel with the resistive load associated with the output to the batteries.
    Highly inductive loads can also cause problems for some transformers, and will also require the generator to be able to deliver more current than you would expect just from the power going to the batteries.
    Last edited by inetdog; 08-27-2015, 09:20 PM. Reason: PS:
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• lkruper
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
      On the generator sizing issue, some very basic battery chargers draw large peak currents at the peaks of the AC waveform. Some generators cannot handle this well even if they are capable of delivering the required average power.
      Thank you. I had no idea when I started researching this topic that it was this complicated. After learning some basics and mastering some initial concepts it is easy to get confidant, and that is a big mistake. Fortunately my first and second set of batteries that I have "ruined" have been virtual. When I actually get my first set of batteries, I am sure I will have more to learn.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by lkruper
        Thank you. I had no idea when I started researching this topic that it was this complicated. After learning some basics and mastering some initial concepts it is easy to get confidant, and that is a big mistake. Fortunately my first and second set of batteries that I have "ruined" have been virtual. When I actually get my first set of batteries, I am sure I will have more to learn.

See PS in my post above for even more to think about.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• lkruper
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
          See PS in my post above for even more to think about.
          Do the inductive loads account for a surge that exceeds the maximum amperage output of the charger?

Comment

Working...