solar LED lighting for garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar LED lighting for garden

I am a huge fan of solar lights and LED bulbs, because I think they are more economic and are safer for the environment. I bought 2 solar LED lights for my garden.
    Could anyone tell me how long does the light last for on a day's charge? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00REDZRV8

I have those very lights (4 of them) installed outside on my back porch and they only receive direct sunlight about 3 - 3.5 hours a day based on the way they are oriented..........in my case the lights seem to stay on (low mode) for at least 7-8 hours and fall off quickly maybe only a couple of hours if you walk past it often.

I would buy them again

Comment

Originally posted by paul65k View Post
      I have those very lights (4 of them) installed outside on my back porch and they only receive direct sunlight about 3 - 3.5 hours a day based on the way they are oriented..........in my case the lights seem to stay on (low mode) for at least 7-8 hours and fall off quickly maybe only a couple of hours if you walk past it often.

I would buy them again
      The shell of this is made from stainless steel, Is it the same yours?

Comment

Originally posted by flysky View Post
        The shell of this is made from stainless steel, Is it the same yours?
        Yes they are....they've been installed for over a year now with temps into the 120's at times during the summer and they are still working great....the only weak point on them is the little opaque lens over the motion sensor that does give up after about a year outside and crumble after the slightest contact.....2 of 4 have gone but the units are still working fine even with them gone.

Comment

Originally posted by paul65k View Post
          Yes they are....they've been installed for over a year now with temps into the 120's at times during the summer and they are still working great....the only weak point on them is the little opaque lens over the motion sensor that does give up after about a year outside and crumble after the slightest contact.....2 of 4 have gone but the units are still working fine even with them gone.
          OK, thank you so much paul65k. I will try it. I think it would be an excellent job and is an attractive security feature to add to the house!

Comment

Originally posted by flysky View Post
            I am a huge fan of solar lights and LED bulbs, because I think they are more economic and are safer for the environment.
            Careful there. One has to consider the total-life-cycle when thinking about economy and being safer for the environment.

How much petrol did it take to ship these from China to the distributor via land and sea? How efficient is the manufacturing facility? In some case, just the manufacturing and distribution of low-end stuff like this can far outweigh the "green" that the end-user saves the planet.

I don't see any ability for the end-user to change batteries. Is the cell a NiCad, which is pretty toxic, or have they gone to something better like a Nimh, or better yet, LiFePo4 lithium? Or do you just throw this device into the landfill when it doesn't work?

Just be careful about "green" advertising and products. Much of it is short-term and is really just targeting a feel-good marketing demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
              Careful there. One has to consider the total-life-cycle when thinking about economy and being safer for the environment.How much petrol did it take to ship these from China to the distributor via land and sea? How efficient is the manufacturing facility? In some case, just the manufacturing and distribution of low-end stuff like this can far outweigh the "green" that the end-user saves the planet.I don't see any ability for the end-user to change batteries. Is the cell a NiCad, which is pretty toxic, or have they gone to something better like a Nimh, or better yet, LiFePo4 lithium? Or do you just throw this device into the landfill when it doesn't work?Just be careful about "green" advertising and products. Much of it is short-term and is really just targeting a feel-good marketing demographic.
              The version of these lights I have utilize AA rechargable/replaceable batteries. I always recycle responsibly but I can't say for sure that the waste company here in town will not just dump them in a landfill

Comment

Ok, thats a lot better. My suggestion with these lights is to use AA "low-self-discharge" nimh batteries. You may also see them sometimes as "pre-charged". Sanyo / Panasonic Eneloop are the gold standard among us AA nerds.

The "loop" in eneloop was back when they first started, their whole mantra was about improving the entire life cycle considerations, and when they did the 70% pre-charge, that was done via solar. Not sure if Panasonic still does that today though.

Either way, avoid the "standard" AA rechargeables as their internal resistance and self-discharge are enough to waste what little power gets delivered to the cells during less than perfect conditions. Eneloops, and their other "LSD" cousins will charge faster, retain that charge longer, and is an all around better choice for this application mostly due to really low internal resistance.

Comment

I also want to buy this solar light for my beautiful garden. But I'm a housewife, have less knowledge about it. Most solar lights are plastic, I want to know the durability of this stainless steel solar light, and how long does the light last in winter?

Comment

Originally posted by ferice View Post
                    I also want to buy this solar light for my beautiful garden. But I'm a housewife, have less knowledge about it. Most solar lights are plastic, I want to know the durability of this stainless steel solar light, and how long does the light last in winter?
                    I am trying this in the summer so cannot comment on its winter performance. It charges in a few hours and lasts for about three days.

Comment

What's the range of this solar light?

Comment

Originally posted by ferice View Post
                        What's the range of this solar light?

The range is up to 5m.

Comment

Am sure they would look amazing. It is more attractive and good looking than plastic bodied solar light.

Comment

Looking back at this link...........I have to update and say that the little plastic cover over the motion sensor has now deteriorated and is cracking on all of my lights.....they still seem to be functioning but I'm guessing that over time this could/will be an issue???

Comment

Similar problem with my expensive metal solar LED path lights. You would think a solar powered outdoor light would be constructed of UV resistant materials. Not always so.

In my case I recognized the problem before the warranty was up. I had all 36 of them replaced by Brinkman with brand new units but this time I applied a UV resistant film over the trouble area. I used the same "rock chip" shield film like they apply to new cars. I bought a small roll on eBay. Over a year now in the Arizona sun and no signs of problem returning. Maybe that would work over your motion sensor eyes before they get any worse?
                              Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...
                              X