Interior lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior lights

I've about got my building built and am looking into lights for the interior. I will have no power on this site and was wondering what everyone likes for interior lights

Originally posted by bradyhill1 View Post
    I've about got my building built and am looking into lights for the interior. I will have no power on this site and was wondering what everyone likes for interior lights
    T8 linear fluorescents are efficient. So are CFLs. Both require high voltage AC distribution.
    LEDs are available in both low voltage DC and normal voltage AC models.
    Sun tunnel skylights are inexpensive and low maintenance, but only work during day.

What other power needs do you have and how much would it cost to bring power in? PV generated power off grid will cost you up to ten times as much per watt-hour as commercial power, so a high initial cost to bring power in may still be best in the long run.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I will have no power on this site and was wondering what everyone likes for interior lights
      http://www.cabelas.com/product/Colem...3596033&rid=20

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        T8 linear fluorescents are efficient. So are CFLs. Both require high voltage AC distribution.
        LEDs are available in both low voltage DC and normal voltage AC models.
        Sun tunnel skylights are inexpensive and low maintenance, but only work during day.

What other power needs do you have and how much would it cost to bring power in? PV generated power off grid will cost you up to ten times as much per watt-hour as commercial power, so a high initial cost to bring power in may still be best in the long run.

I don't really know what all I need for power yet, maybe run a tv, radio, lights and a well, I don't want it on the grid, there's power very close but just want to keep it off the grid and see how far it will go. I guess it's just a hobby to me

Comment

for a 12 -24v system, these are nice lights
          https://www.wiredco.com/10_LED_SMT_S...rmwhiteled.htm
          they have a wide range driver circuit, and can handle up to 30V according to the specs. I've only used them on 12V systems.

Everything else is 120VAC
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I don't really know what all I need for power yet, maybe run a tv, radio, lights and a well, I don't want it on the grid, there's power very close but just want to keep it off the grid and see how far it will go. I guess it's just a hobby to me
            I have a couple solatube skylights, they've great during the day, and even do some good during twilight.

Whatever kind of lightning you get, shop around if you are after high efficiency. Phillips makes some T8 LEDs that achieve 123 lumens per watt, but there are plenty out there that are less efficient.

Do your lights need to be dimmable?

Comment

From a pure quality perspective, Soraa is probably the best LED today.

I think your lighting design first needs to consider if you are going to have always on 120v AC.

Comment

Haven't seen those myself yet.

For dimmable plain-old-light-bulb replacements, the ones I buy now are Sylvanias from the local big box store:
                http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...a-Led-40w-bulb

Comment

You are going to regret that decision. Last thing anyone wants to do is go off-grid if commercial power is available. You need to know anything you take off-girid is going to cost you roughly 10 times more than buying it from the power company paid all up front in cash every few years with each battery replacement. Not only are you throwing good money away, you also become a heavy polluter going off-grid. So if you think you are going to save money or the earth, forget it, not going to happen.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    You are going to regret that decision. Last thing anyone wants to do is go off-grid if commercial power is available. You need to know anything you take off-girid is going to cost you roughly 10 times more than buying it from the power company paid all up front in cash every few years with each battery replacement. Not only are you throwing good money away, you also become a heavy polluter going off-grid. So if you think you are going to save money or the earth, forget it, not going to happen.

Sunking is probably right.

On the other hand, setting up a small system is fun and educational - if this is your first solar system. On my first, I used the opportunity to set up a landscape lighting system using very low watt LEDs and the cost is pretty comparable to setting up a system with a transformer. Short term costs at least. Battery may die tomorrow or get hit by lighting or hail or something. But still it has been fun.

Plenty of 12v LED lighting fixtures can be found on Amazon. The strips get real hot - I tried those in the shed and would avoid those. The 'landscape' lights work ok, though, even inside.

Comment

I've got some led lights up and pictures but I can't get then to upload

Comment

I've got some led lights up and pictures but I can't get then to upload
                        There are still problems with images and other attachments. It may be that the file size of the pictures is too large, or it may just be a glitch.
                        If you can host the pictures on a photo sharing site, just post a link that does not require a login.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                          There are still problems with images and other attachments. It may be that the file size of the pictures is too large, or it may just be a glitch.
                          If you can host the pictures on a photo sharing site, just post a link that does not require a login.

What site do you recommend?

Comment

What site do you recommend?
                            I do not use one myself, but I see a lot of folks on other boards using PhotoBucket.

Comment

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/bradyhill2/profile/

Try that out see if it works

Comment

Working...
                              X